Malvern Star Bronco

jonsio
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:02 am

Malvern Star Bronco

Postby jonsio » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:53 am

I’m not sure if this is the right part of the forum so I apologise if it is. I am looking to buy an old mtb to convert to single speed given some older frames have horizontal dropouts.

I have found this Malvern Star bronco for sale and was hoping to get some information mainly on the frame. I’m waiting to confirm with the seller if it has horizontal drop outs but going by the photos I think it may. Anyone have any idea how old this may be?

Image

jonsio
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:02 am

Re: Malvern Star Bronco

Postby jonsio » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:53 am


User avatar
ldrcycles
Posts: 9594
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

Re: Malvern Star Bronco

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:09 am

It would do the job, but the one piece (Ashtabula) cranks add a whole lot of weight compared to even the heaviest cranks for a threaded BB. They also have little to no protection for the bearings so even if you don't ride in the wet you'll need to strip them down and regrease them regularly.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

jonsio
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:02 am

Re: Malvern Star Bronco

Postby jonsio » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:28 am

ldrcycles wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:09 am
It would do the job, but the one piece (Ashtabula) cranks add a whole lot of weight compared to even the heaviest cranks for a threaded BB. They also have little to no protection for the bearings so even if you don't ride in the wet you'll need to strip them down and regrease them regularly.
Thanks a lot that helps. Are there any frames out there I should keep an eye out for which are decent for this type of thing? I have also been looking at a Konya bike which from what I have read are nothing special at all but for the price may be decent ($45-$50)

I’m trying to do this on a bit of a budget and not looking to break the bank.

User avatar
Bunged Knee
Posts: 1704
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:29 pm
Location: Not drowning in Parramatta river yet

Re: Malvern Star Bronco

Postby Bunged Knee » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:34 am

jonsio wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:53 am
I’m not sure if this is the right part of the forum so I apologise if it is. I am looking to buy an old mtb to convert to single speed given some older frames have horizontal dropouts.

I have found this Malvern Star bronco for sale and was hoping to get some information mainly on the frame. I’m waiting to confirm with the seller if it has horizontal drop outs but going by the photos I think it may. Anyone have any idea how old this may be?

Image
Use the BBCode with full image.

Image
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

User avatar
ldrcycles
Posts: 9594
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

Re: Malvern Star Bronco

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:59 pm

jonsio wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:28 am
ldrcycles wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:09 am
It would do the job, but the one piece (Ashtabula) cranks add a whole lot of weight compared to even the heaviest cranks for a threaded BB. They also have little to no protection for the bearings so even if you don't ride in the wet you'll need to strip them down and regrease them regularly.
Thanks a lot that helps. Are there any frames out there I should keep an eye out for which are decent for this type of thing? I have also been looking at a Konya bike which from what I have read are nothing special at all but for the price may be decent ($45-$50)

I’m trying to do this on a bit of a budget and not looking to break the bank.

An old steel GT would be a great option, hands down the best looking single speed MTB I've ever seen was a GT Timberline a bloke built up from a frameset I sold him. You shouldn't have any trouble picking up a steel GT of some sort on facebook marketplace or gumtree in your budget.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

jonsio
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:02 am

Re: Malvern Star Bronco

Postby jonsio » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:10 pm

Will keep an eye out. Also looking at a shogun trailblazer. The one I’m looking at has a cr-mo frame and appear to be decent by what I’ve read. Seen one in excellent condition for $90. Not sure if that’s too much, only thing is I’d need a tensioner as it doesn’t have horizontal dropouts.

jonsio
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:02 am

Re: Malvern Star Bronco

Postby jonsio » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:02 pm

Ended up purchasing a shogun trail breaker which was in good condition and for a decent price. Was doing a lot of reading and the cr-mo frames of the shogun are pretty decent for this type of thing (apart from horizontal dropouts) so I’ll get a tensioner.

User avatar
ldrcycles
Posts: 9594
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

Re: Malvern Star Bronco

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:05 pm

That's a good choice, the old Shoguns have been popular for that at least as long as I've been in cycling (about 15 years now)
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher