Mt Coot-tha training

Mr Purple
Posts: 2874
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby Mr Purple » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:30 am

So Fulgaz has refilmed the Cootha Back loop for TDB and asked anyone using the app with a bit of experience on it to check if their gradients were accurate.

They sent me the link for the test version and I did it this morning. 6:41/309W.

Yes, so the answer is 'no', your gradients are not ok. Annoyingly despite the climb being 2.6% or so off I still came second to a joker in the weight class above me averaging 231W.

Mr Purple
Posts: 2874
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:46 pm

Apparently they couldn't fix the Cootha filming for Fulgaz and so as the one who clearly provided the most feedback it's become my responsibility.

They're sending me a GoPro and from what I understand I'm under strict instructions to 'not do it too fast' and to stay seated for the whole climb. Both will be difficult.

I'll send them a Cootha Front and Gravatt while I'm at it. Would be good to have some of the Brisbane climbs available! I'll most likely be doing it on the gravel bike because the GoPro mounts are easier, so they won't be particularly rapid.

jasonc
Posts: 12207
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby jasonc » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:08 pm

I could give you footage of a slow back. I do them every week

Mr Purple
Posts: 2874
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:59 pm

jasonc wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:08 pm
I could give you footage of a slow back. I do them every week
They've got a really specific set of requirements - seated with no rapid changes in power, filmed on a GoPro 10, 11 or 12, between 10AM and 2PM and with certain camera settings.

I'm close to 100% sure I'm going to bollocks it up.

jasonc
Posts: 12207
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby jasonc » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:02 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:59 pm
jasonc wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:08 pm
I could give you footage of a slow back. I do them every week
They've got a really specific set of requirements - seated with no rapid changes in power, filmed on a GoPro 10, 11 or 12, between 10AM and 2PM and with certain camera settings.

I'm close to 100% sure I'm going to bollocks it up.
too hot

Mr Purple
Posts: 2874
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:49 pm

Yep. It's going to suck.

I think I'll be lucky to crack 10:00. 9.5kg gravel bike, 42mm tyres, all seated, and midday. It'll be hilarity!

My slowest Cootha is 10:02. It'll be a close run thing.

warthog1
Posts: 14377
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm
Location: Bendigo

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby warthog1 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:18 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:49 pm
Yep. It's going to suck.

I think I'll be lucky to crack 10:00. 9.5kg gravel bike, 42mm tyres, all seated, and midday. It'll be hilarity!

My slowest Cootha is 10:02. It'll be a close run thing.
Why dont you put the wheels from your roadie on it?
Dogs are the best people :wink:

jasonc
Posts: 12207
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby jasonc » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:31 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:18 pm
Mr Purple wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:49 pm
Yep. It's going to suck.

I think I'll be lucky to crack 10:00. 9.5kg gravel bike, 42mm tyres, all seated, and midday. It'll be hilarity!

My slowest Cootha is 10:02. It'll be a close run thing.
Why dont you put the wheels from your roadie on it?
Or just ride your roadie

warthog1
Posts: 14377
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm
Location: Bendigo

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby warthog1 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:46 pm

I'll most likely be doing it on the gravel bike because the GoPro mounts are easier,
I am interested to see how much slower the gravello is with road wheels on it too

Mine is a bit slower but not alot in it.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Mr Purple
Posts: 2874
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby Mr Purple » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:48 am

They need it done this weekend - gravel bike has a dual Blendr accessory mount and a GoPro attachment is $20 from any Trek shop.

Roadie has a JRC mount and the GoPro attachment is currently winging its way from Ireland where they’re made.

So end Cootha time will be determined by international postage. Time is irrelevant anyway - it’s more about keeping it smooth for the footage so 42mm tyres will probably help.

User avatar
vbplease
Posts: 524
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:02 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby vbplease » Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:11 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:49 pm
My slowest Cootha is 10:02. It'll be a close run thing.
Your slowest cootha time is only 6 seconds slower than my pb lol

Tour de Brisbane is only 6weeks away and my very ordinary/unstructured training has been interrupted by the man-flu.. not sure how much my fitness can improve in 6 weeks, but I plan to do a lot more cootha repeats in the coming weeks

Mr Purple
Posts: 2874
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby Mr Purple » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:41 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:49 pm
My slowest Cootha is 10:02. It'll be a close run thing.
Well I surprise myself.

The road bike mount arrived on time and this morning I filmed a full seated Cootha Back with the GoPro and Varia both attached.

8:21/325W. I was regretting the 11-28 rear cassette by the end of it, but that's disturbingly close to my full Banzai standing times at the moment.

Might have to work on that bike fit and gearing. Pretty sure I'll eventually be faster seated than standing. It was a heck of a lot less painful as well, though I was cramping pretty badly by the end of it.

Will be interesting to see how many of the internet warriors manage to beat that.

Mr Purple
Posts: 2874
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby Mr Purple » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:47 am

Tested my ride this morning on Fulgaz, it goes live next week.

A lot more realistic than the two previously filmed versions they had on there, it hurt pretty much as it does in real life.

Fulgaz always rides a little faster because I think there's a slightly generous rolling resistance and road and weather conditions don't come into play. My filmed time was 8:21/325W, my virtual time 7:49/319W.

Will have to hit the virtual segment with my Strava flagging stick. Currently includes a 6:37/231W, a 7:05/182W and a 7:10/72W.

Mr Purple
Posts: 2874
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby Mr Purple » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:22 pm

My Cootha Back is now live on Fulgaz if anyone wants to give it a go. Probably the highlight is passing an epic crazy person on an unassisted tricycle towards the top!

Have also filmed a Gravatt, Cootha Front and Brookfield Three Fingers that will probably go up there eventually. A couple of scary passes from motorists in there, and also a funny moment where I pass a guy at a decent clip on Cootha Front and he does a double take when I say 'morning'.

Enough filming for now, it's surprisingly hard work. 'The camera adds 30 pounds'.

User avatar
foo on patrol
Posts: 9051
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:12 am
Location: Sanstone Point QLD

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:22 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:22 pm
My Cootha Back is now live on Fulgaz if anyone wants to give it a go. Probably the highlight is passing an epic crazy person on an unassisted tricycle towards the top!

Have also filmed a Gravatt, Cootha Front and Brookfield Three Fingers that will probably go up there eventually. A couple of scary passes from motorists in there, and also a funny moment where I pass a guy at a decent clip on Cootha Front and he does a double take when I say 'morning'.

Enough filming for now, it's surprisingly hard work. 'The camera adds 30 pounds'.


Say What? :shock: So you're saying it weighs about 13kgs? :? :?:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Mr Purple
Posts: 2874
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby Mr Purple » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:12 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:22 am
Say What? :shock: So you're saying it weighs about 13kgs? :? :?:

Foo
No, I was making a bad joke. Though apparenty the old showbiz phrase is 'the camera adds 10 pounds'.

GoPro is only 127g.

User avatar
foo on patrol
Posts: 9051
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:12 am
Location: Sanstone Point QLD

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:02 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:12 am
foo on patrol wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:22 am
Say What? :shock: So you're saying it weighs about 13kgs? :? :?:

Foo
No, I was making a bad joke. Though apparenty the old showbiz phrase is 'the camera adds 10 pounds'.

GoPro is only 127g.

:lol: Okay, that's betterer, as I had images of you riding around with a google maps 360deg camera hanging off ya bike or head. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Mr Purple
Posts: 2874
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby Mr Purple » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:56 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:02 am
Mr Purple wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:12 am
foo on patrol wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:22 am
Say What? :shock: So you're saying it weighs about 13kgs? :? :?:

Foo
No, I was making a bad joke. Though apparenty the old showbiz phrase is 'the camera adds 10 pounds'.

GoPro is only 127g.

:lol: Okay, that's betterer, as I had images of you riding around with a google maps 360deg camera hanging off ya bike or head. :mrgreen:

Foo
Well by the time you add the mount, the external battery pack, the cable and the weight of expectation it does add up.

Hugely unimpressed by GoPros. I had one of the early ones and they're not a great deal more user friendly. The GoPro 11 they sent me has a battery life of anywhere from 10 minutes to 50 minutes, and it seems to be very easy to stuff something up in some way. Considering how expensive they are you think they'd be better.

User avatar
foo on patrol
Posts: 9051
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:12 am
Location: Sanstone Point QLD

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:27 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:56 am
foo on patrol wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:02 am
Mr Purple wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:12 am


No, I was making a bad joke. Though apparenty the old showbiz phrase is 'the camera adds 10 pounds'.

GoPro is only 127g.

:lol: Okay, that's betterer, as I had images of you riding around with a google maps 360deg camera hanging off ya bike or head. :mrgreen:

Foo
Well by the time you add the mount, the external battery pack, the cable and the weight of expectation it does add up.

Hugely unimpressed by GoPros. I had one of the early ones and they're not a great deal more user friendly. The GoPro 11 they sent me has a battery life of anywhere from 10 minutes to 50 minutes, and it seems to be very easy to stuff something up in some way. Considering how expensive they are you think they'd be better.

That's just plain crap! :shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Mr Purple
Posts: 2874
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby Mr Purple » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:51 pm

Anyway, if any one wants to ride it Fulgaz has a two week trial and a chance to win one of two Tour de Brisbane tickets as a challenge until the event.

https://fulgaz.com/event/virtual-mount- ... I38FPN0S2W

So far the leading time is three minutes slower than I filmed it, so good luck!

jasonc
Posts: 12207
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby jasonc » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:27 pm

Just a reminder for those riding in Brisbane that sunrise is AFTER 5:50am. Lights are required before that time....

jasonc
Posts: 12207
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby jasonc » Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:19 pm

somehow I'm the local legend for the "triple treat" segment

sunrise was 5:59am this morning for those that ride around in a dim manner...

warthog1
Posts: 14377
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm
Location: Bendigo

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby warthog1 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:20 pm

What has happened to MrP?
Dogs are the best people :wink:

jasonc
Posts: 12207
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby jasonc » Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:07 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:20 pm
What has happened to MrP?
maybe he hasn't done many triples lately.

warthog1
Posts: 14377
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm
Location: Bendigo

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby warthog1 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:12 pm

jasonc wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:07 pm
warthog1 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:20 pm
What has happened to MrP?
maybe he hasn't done many triples lately.
No wonder your elevation is so good on the 10k club. :wink: Well done. 8)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: piledhigher2