2021 Cycling fatalities

redsonic

Re: 2021 Cycling fatalities

Postby redsonic » Mon May 16, 2022 10:33 pm

I had forgotten that this fatality (01/01/21) had its own thread. For those interested, it is being discussed here:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=104762

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:25 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:33 am
Tragically, a 21 year old cyclist was killed on the Eyre Highway, 75km west of the Caiguna Roadhouse, yesterday (April 7).

The only articles I can find are paywalled, e.g. https://thewest.com.au/news/disaster-an ... 881841317z
In a follow up Truck driver Luke Brooks jailed after killing cyclist Leif Justham in drug-fueled crash on Nullarbor.

A litany of common complaints- methamphetamine, amphetamine, fatigue, using his phone while driving. 4 years in gaol, non parole period of 2 years, 3 years driving disqualification after release.

As his mother said no prison term would be long enough.

Given his logbooks show he only had a few hours' sleep in the 24 hours before the crash, mostly what were described in court as 15 minute "rest" breaks, when will there be prosecutions for others in the chain of responsibility which were introduced to eliminate this sort of dangerous behaviour
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:34 am

find_bruce wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:25 pm
AdelaidePeter wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:33 am
Tragically, a 21 year old cyclist was killed on the Eyre Highway, 75km west of the Caiguna Roadhouse, yesterday (April 7).

The only articles I can find are paywalled, e.g. https://thewest.com.au/news/disaster-an ... 881841317z
In a follow up Truck driver Luke Brooks jailed after killing cyclist Leif Justham in drug-fueled crash on Nullarbor.

A litany of common complaints- methamphetamine, amphetamine, fatigue, using his phone while driving. 4 years in gaol, non parole period of 2 years, 3 years driving disqualification after release.

As his mother said no prison term would be long enough.

Given his logbooks show he only had a few hours' sleep in the 24 hours before the crash, mostly what were described in court as 15 minute "rest" breaks, when will there be prosecutions for others in the chain of responsibility which were introduced to eliminate this sort of dangerous behaviour
Can only hope so. Maybe the industrial manslaughter laws that South Aust are looking to introduce will help with some of this.

uart

Postby uart » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:38 pm

The text message he sent is also quite chilling. Extremely cavalier, and definitely sounds like he thought it was the cyclist's fault for being there.
Brooks later sent a text message to a colleague saying: "Bicycle rider in my lane, I didn't notice him until the last minute. I swerved but still clipped him."

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:08 pm

uart wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:38 pm
The text message he sent is also quite chilling. Extremely cavalier, and definitely sounds like he thought it was the cyclist's fault for being there.
Brooks later sent a text message to a colleague saying: "Bicycle rider in my lane, I didn't notice him until the last minute. I swerved but still clipped him."

Just another entitled piece of sheet blaming everyone/everything but his own poor driving and poor life choices :evil:
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:07 pm

Can't see that this was posted when it happened, but here's the latest anyway: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-20/ ... /102108084

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Fri May 19, 2023 6:59 pm

The motorcyclist who ran down and killed 84 year old John Peters on a bicycle path in Perth has been sentenced to 9 years' jail (7 years with parole).

ABC News

uart

Postby uart » Sat May 20, 2023 11:38 am

redsonic wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 6:59 pm
The motorcyclist who ran down and killed 84 year old John Peters on a bicycle path in Perth has been sentenced to 9 years' jail (7 years with parole).

ABC News
That's the first half decent sentence that we've seen for killing a cyclist for quite a while. From memory the last one that compared was the motorcyclist that killed a cyclist on the old Pacific Highway north of Sydney, and that guy bragged about it on social media afterwards (which is the only reason that they were able to show intent to intimidate and get a similar decent sentence).

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat May 20, 2023 12:32 pm

uart wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 11:38 am
redsonic wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 6:59 pm

ABC News
That's the first half decent sentence that we've seen for killing a cyclist for quite a while.
Sentence reflects that he was convicted of manslaughter which is s very rare - most are dismissed as a whoopsie. In this case I suspect it was the cumulative effect of
  • alcohol & cannabis
  • illegal to ride a motorbike on a shared path
  • unregistered motorbike
  • estimated speed of 90km/h
  • pulling wheelies
Will this sentence deter other morons from riding in the same way? I suspect no sentence will have that effect because morons like this don't think about the consequences, for them or anyone else

zebee

Postby zebee » Sat May 20, 2023 6:22 pm

This motorcyclist suspects that being a motorcyclist was an issue too. If a cardriver had been pulling burnouts on a footpath and hit someone dunno they'd have been treated in the same way.

When 2 outgroups collide, then the one who is more "like us" gets the better treatment. If the cyclist had also been a young man?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon May 22, 2023 3:07 pm

zebee wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 6:22 pm
This motorcyclist suspects that being a motorcyclist was an issue too. If a cardriver had been pulling burnouts on a footpath and hit someone dunno they'd have been treated in the same way.

When 2 outgroups collide, then the one who is more "like us" gets the better treatment. If the cyclist had also been a young man?
I agree with you about outgrouping, but I am unconvinced it was just the dirt bike that did it. What are the differences between Tyson Michael Denny and the Lamborghini driver Alexander Campbell who was found not guilty of death by dangerous driving but guilty of the lesser charge of driving without due care & attention?

There is a view in the legal profession that juries are reluctant to convict where they can see themselves being in that situation. Interesting that Campbell elected for a judge alone trial - it may be his lawyers thought the jury would not relate to him & so more likely to convict.