2021 Cycling fatalities

AdelaidePeter
Posts: 1232
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:13 am

Re: 2021 Cycling fatalities

Postby AdelaidePeter » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:52 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:45 pm
Vert sad news from Murray Bridge, SA. From https://www.murraybridge.news/p/cyclist ... nkley-road
I just saw some footage of the scene on the Adelaide Channel 9 6pm news. The car is damaged at the front passenger side corner, so must have struck the cyclist from behind. The crash occurred on a slight uphill where the road is straight, so visibility would have been perfect. A tragic and completely unnecessary crash.

AdelaidePeter
Posts: 1232
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:13 am

Re: 2021 Cycling fatalities

Postby AdelaidePeter » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:43 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:09 am
queequeg wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:58 pm
outnabike wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:51 pm
Seems like a hit and run this morning near Ballarat. Another family is suffering....

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australi ... d=msedgdhp

Cyclist killed in suspected hit-and-run during morning bike ride
A cyclist has died after colliding with a vehicle in a suspected hit and run incident in regional Victoria.
Emergency services were called to La Trobe Street in Delacombe, near Ballarat, just after 5.45am on Thursday morning.
A male cyclist, yet to be formally identified, died at the scene.
Representatives from the Major Collision Investigation Unit believe the man was hit by a car, which then fled the scene.
Investigations into the incident continue and police are calling for witnesses or dash cam footage.
Witnesses can also call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
The language still irks me…hit and run, but it was the cyclist who collided with the vehicle?
Yes, and then apparently the car fled the scene. :roll: No mention of the piece of garbage driving the car.
A story about the cyclist and the crash here https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 593ah.html . Condolences to all who knew him.

robbo mcs
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:25 pm

Re: 2021 Cycling fatalities

Postby robbo mcs » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:41 pm

That is a pretty distinctive looking car. They should be plastering that all over the news, car enthusiasts would be able to ID it pretty quickly

User avatar
Retrobyte
Posts: 1544
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:43 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: 2021 Cycling fatalities

Postby Retrobyte » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:50 am

robbo mcs wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:41 pm
That is a pretty distinctive looking car.
Am I seeing right in the last photo - it doesn't have a bonnet ... or did that get torn off in the collision?

AdelaidePeter
Posts: 1232
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:13 am

Re: 2021 Cycling fatalities

Postby AdelaidePeter » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:09 am

Retrobyte wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:50 am
robbo mcs wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:41 pm
That is a pretty distinctive looking car.
Am I seeing right in the last photo - it doesn't have a bonnet ... or did that get torn off in the collision?
That's what I thought too. The article says "The car’s bonnet and windscreen were thought to be damaged in the collision."

Hopefully it's all over the news in Ballarat.

User avatar
find_bruce
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10593
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: 2021 Cycling fatalities

Postby find_bruce » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:04 pm

Bradley John Spark has been charged with culpable driving causing the death of David Thomson, failing to stop and failing to render assistance - SMH
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

User avatar
find_bruce
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10593
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: 2021 Cycling fatalities

Postby find_bruce » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:22 am

Sadly a 67yo mountain biker has died on the trails at St Helens -ABC News
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

AdelaidePeter
Posts: 1232
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:13 am

Re: 2021 Cycling fatalities

Postby AdelaidePeter » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:33 am

find_bruce wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:04 pm
Bradley John Spark has been charged with culpable driving causing the death of David Thomson, failing to stop and failing to render assistance - SMH
For those who cannot see the article, that is the October 21 Ballarat incident mentioned above.

User avatar
Bunged Knee
Posts: 1704
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:29 pm
Location: Not drowning in Parramatta river yet

Re: 2021 Cycling fatalities

Postby Bunged Knee » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:18 am

A cyclist has died following a crash in Sydney’s south west yesterday.

About 10.45pm (Saturday 30 October 2021), emergency services were called to Canterbury Road near Chapel Road, Bankstown, after reports a cyclist had been struck by a vehicle.

A man was treated at the scene by NSW Ambulance paramedics, however died a short time later.

He is yet to be formally identified but is believed to be aged in his 50s.
More in https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/news ... w9MQ%3D%3D
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

zebee
Posts: 1026
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:37 am

Re: 2021 Cycling fatalities

Postby zebee » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:17 am

I wanted to go to Jaycar in Bankstown as they had something I wanted and the more usual Jaycar didn't. So... it's not that far away, how do I get there by bicycle? The answer is "dream on!".
The area around Canterbury Rd Bankstown is so obviously built to funnel cars into main roads and stop any 'rat running". Dormitory suburb sort of thing: get cars out of the living area and only main roads.

Few crossings of the main roads and if you do cross there are few cross streets so very hard to parallel the main roads. Pretty much you are forced on to the main road. I couldn't work out how to get from Campsie to Jaycar without some time on nasty bits of Punchbowl Rd to cross the railway, and then more time on Punchbowl and time on Canterbury. Even if I crossed the railway earlier, the lack of cross streets and crossings of Punchbowl made it hard.

So I hopped on the motorcycle because no way was I risking a bicycle on Canterbury Rd!

CBC council have transport strategies to improve cycling in Bankstown but they have given up anywhere outside the small CBD area as Too Hard.

User avatar
trailgumby
Posts: 15469
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney
Contact:

Re: 2021 Cycling fatalities

Postby trailgumby » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:38 am

Bunged Knee wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:18 am
A cyclist has died following a crash in Sydney’s south west yesterday.

About 10.45pm (Saturday 30 October 2021), emergency services were called to Canterbury Road near Chapel Road, Bankstown, after reports a cyclist had been struck by a vehicle.

A man was treated at the scene by NSW Ambulance paramedics, however died a short time later.

He is yet to be formally identified but is believed to be aged in his 50s.
More in https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/news ... w9MQ%3D%3D
.
We really need to do something about these self-driving cars. :x

jasonc
Posts: 12207
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2021 Cycling fatalities

Postby jasonc » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:01 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:38 am
Bunged Knee wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:18 am
A cyclist has died following a crash in Sydney’s south west yesterday.

About 10.45pm (Saturday 30 October 2021), emergency services were called to Canterbury Road near Chapel Road, Bankstown, after reports a cyclist had been struck by a vehicle.

A man was treated at the scene by NSW Ambulance paramedics, however died a short time later.

He is yet to be formally identified but is believed to be aged in his 50s.
More in https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/news ... w9MQ%3D%3D
.
We really need to do something about these self-driving cars. :x
I read that and though the same tg

brumby33
Posts: 1945
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:52 pm
Location: Albury NSW on the mighty Murray River

Re: 2021 Cycling fatalities

Postby brumby33 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:51 am

zebee wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:17 am
I wanted to go to Jaycar in Bankstown as they had something I wanted and the more usual Jaycar didn't. So... it's not that far away, how do I get there by bicycle? The answer is "dream on!".
The area around Canterbury Rd Bankstown is so obviously built to funnel cars into main roads and stop any 'rat running". Dormitory suburb sort of thing: get cars out of the living area and only main roads.

Few crossings of the main roads and if you do cross there are few cross streets so very hard to parallel the main roads. Pretty much you are forced on to the main road. I couldn't work out how to get from Campsie to Jaycar without some time on nasty bits of Punchbowl Rd to cross the railway, and then more time on Punchbowl and time on Canterbury. Even if I crossed the railway earlier, the lack of cross streets and crossings of Punchbowl made it hard.

So I hopped on the motorcycle because no way was I risking a bicycle on Canterbury Rd!

CBC council have transport strategies to improve cycling in Bankstown but they have given up anywhere outside the small CBD area as Too Hard.
Yeah there's no way in hell I would ride on Canterbury road especially with all trucks rat running to avoid tolls on M5.
Zeebee, I know it may not sound cool but from Beamish St Campsie to Cant rd,/Chapel St where the home maker place is can be done on the 487 bus via Rosalind's shopping centre and Bankstown hospital. There's a bus stop right opposite there.
Takes around 35-40 minutes depending time of day. Only costs 3.60 each way on a Opal card....sometimes Public Transport is a good alternative.
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

zebee
Posts: 1026
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:37 am

Re: 2021 Cycling fatalities

Postby zebee » Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:01 pm

brumby33 wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:51 am

Yeah there's no way in hell I would ride on Canterbury road especially with all trucks rat running to avoid tolls on M5.
Zeebee, I know it may not sound cool but from Beamish St Campsie to Cant rd,/Chapel St where the home maker place is can be done on the 487 bus via Rosalind's shopping centre and Bankstown hospital. There's a bus stop right opposite there.
Takes around 35-40 minutes depending time of day. Only costs 3.60 each way on a Opal card....sometimes Public Transport is a good alternative.
Buses on a Saturday afternoon really aren't worth it... I take public transport sometimes but 15 minutes on the motorcycle compared to 30 (plus walking and waiting time) and $3.60 compared to probably 20c on the Noggie (it being surprisingly frugal for such a big heavy thing), ain't no comparison. WHich is why people take cars for short journeys! I would have taken a bicycle if I could have, but it just isn't possible in that part of Sydney.

Mind you, as I was heading towards Bankstown near the Canterbury Hospital I saw an old geezer on an old geezer's bicycle wobbling his way down Canterbury Rd with very much an "eyes front and bugger the bastards" attitude. He would go at his own pace in the middle of the lane and if you can't pass well sucks to be you. I don't have his guts (or his obliviousness) I can tell you!

brumby33
Posts: 1945
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:52 pm
Location: Albury NSW on the mighty Murray River

Re: 2021 Cycling fatalities

Postby brumby33 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:35 pm

zebee wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:01 pm
brumby33 wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:51 am

Yeah there's no way in hell I would ride on Canterbury road especially with all trucks rat running to avoid tolls on M5.
Zeebee, I know it may not sound cool but from Beamish St Campsie to Cant rd,/Chapel St where the home maker place is can be done on the 487 bus via Rosalind's shopping centre and Bankstown hospital. There's a bus stop right opposite there.
Takes around 35-40 minutes depending time of day. Only costs 3.60 each way on a Opal card....sometimes Public Transport is a good alternative.
Buses on a Saturday afternoon really aren't worth it... I take public transport sometimes but 15 minutes on the motorcycle compared to 30 (plus walking and waiting time) and $3.60 compared to probably 20c on the Noggie (it being surprisingly frugal for such a big heavy thing), ain't no comparison. WHich is why people take cars for short journeys! I would have taken a bicycle if I could have, but it just isn't possible in that part of Sydney.

Mind you, as I was heading towards Bankstown near the Canterbury Hospital I saw an old geezer on an old geezer's bicycle wobbling his way down Canterbury Rd with very much an "eyes front and bugger the bastards" attitude. He would go at his own pace in the middle of the lane and if you can't pass well sucks to be you. I don't have his guts (or his obliviousness) I can tell you!
:lol: :lol: Yeah Zeebee, I think I've seen that ol bloke a few time either....he probably thinks...well I've made it this far in life lol.

That being said, I've seen many of those International students doing the Uber Eats Bicycle jaunts down the left lane of Canterbury road in the similar location near the Canterbury Hospital heading towards Canterbury station oblivious to the traffic around them albeit going a lot fast than Old mate with their overclocked e-bikes.

I guess you could get to Bankstown without going anywhere near Canterbury road by going through Wiley Park and Punchbowl following the rail line like the rail replacement buses do. Been a long while since I've been that way though.
Yeah a Motorscooter or bike would be cheaper and quicker.

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

zebee
Posts: 1026
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:37 am

Satnav was Re: 2021 Cycling fatalities

Postby zebee » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:07 am

brumby33 wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:35 pm



That being said, I've seen many of those International students doing the Uber Eats Bicycle jaunts down the left lane of Canterbury road in the similar location near the Canterbury Hospital heading towards Canterbury station oblivious to the traffic around them albeit going a lot fast than Old mate with their overclocked e-bikes.

brumby33
<FX: drag thread back on topic sorta> I wonder how much culpability the satnavs have. Google cycling directions - which is probably what most of the Uber riders use - defaults to car it seems to me when there aren't marked bike routes. In my experience it is inordinately fond of Paramatta Rd. (but as said... there's a big problem around Canterbury Rd...)

Of the cycling fatalities in major urban centres, how many are because the rider was on a dangerous route? Yeah, blame the victim but reality is you are safer on a quiet road than you are on a major artery but so many times Google's directions have sent me on a major road when looking at the map shows a safer ratrun. Getting to Jaycar was an exception: there is no safer way!

Of the deaths and major injuries (which aren't reported so all data is skewed) of people doing Uber etc, how many are because they relied on the satnav and ended up in a much more dangerous situation than they needed to be in? I see a lot of delivery riders on Georges River Rd, I always take the parallel routes but Google will say take Georges River Rd. I suppose part of the problem in a place like Sydney is in the sections where bike delivery makes sense the major roads were created in the horse and cart days so they are along the ridges and the flat bits. So a more desirable route for a bicycle if it wasn't for the car infestation.

robbo mcs
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:25 pm

Re: 2021 Cycling fatalities

Postby robbo mcs » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:38 pm

I have never been an uber delivery driver or rider. However, I think the uber app has it's own built in navigation system for the delivery riders? It would be interesting to know, and in particular what maps or algorithms it is using

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 21439
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: 2021 Cycling fatalities

Postby g-boaf » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:05 pm

robbo mcs wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:38 pm
I have never been an uber delivery driver or rider. However, I think the uber app has it's own built in navigation system for the delivery riders? It would be interesting to know, and in particular what maps or algorithms it is using
Especially one directing them to ride into tunnels... :shock: Wouldn't get me anywhere near one of those tunnels.

Are we sure there is even such a navigation system or this is also something outsourced to the rider.

cogs19
Posts: 161
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:35 pm

Re: 2021 Cycling fatalities

Postby cogs19 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:22 pm

https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 59b0t.html

In case it is paywalled...

Cyclist dies in collision with truck at Geelong
Cassandra Morgan
By Cassandra Morgan
November 22, 2021 — 2.11pm

Victoria Police is investigating after a cyclist died in a collision with a truck at Geelong.

Police said in a statement emergency services were called to the intersection of Barwon Heads and Breakwater roads at Belmont about 12.15pm on Monday following reports a truck and cyclist had collided.

Ambulance crews worked on the male cyclist, but he died at the scene.

Last month a 60-year-old man died after being involved in an unrelated collision in Ballarat on October 21.

David Thomson was on his bike when police allege he was hit front-on by a car at an intersection in Delacombe. The grandfather, who took up cycling to improve his fitness, died at the scene.

A 39-year-old man was later charged with culpable driving and hit-run offences over the death.

So far this year, 209 people have died on Victoria's roads.

Investigators are appealing for anyone who witnessed the crash to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

AdelaidePeter
Posts: 1232
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:13 am

Re: 2021 Cycling fatalities

Postby AdelaidePeter » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:00 pm

Another tragic death in the Adelaide hills suburbs: :( :( Condolences to all who knew him.

"Major Crash are investigating the circumstances surrounding a fatal crash at Coromandel Valley this morning.

About 10.30am on Saturday 27 November, emergency services were called to Murrays Hill Road near Lyric Place after reports of a collision between a truck and a bicycle.

Sadly, the bicycle rider, a 51-year-old Findon man died at the scene... The man's death is the 91st life lost on SA roads this year, compared to 81 at the same time last year."
-- https://www.police.sa.gov.au/sa-police- ... staff-hill

User avatar
Thoglette
Posts: 6619
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:01 pm

Re: 2021 Cycling fatalities

Postby Thoglette » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:08 pm

I couldn’t find this earlier in the thread
ABC reports
Alice Springs man Michael Birch has been sentenced to five years and six months' jail for driving while affected by methamphetamine and hitting and killing cyclist Stephen Yates last year.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

User avatar
Mububban
Posts: 3065
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:19 pm

Re: 2021 Cycling fatalities

Postby Mububban » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:20 pm

May 27, 2021 - 20 year old cyclist hit and killed at intersection with green lights for both cyclist and buses. 200 accounts of near misses at this location. Cyclist had right of way, death by blind spot. Inquest not recommended by coroner, no recommendations made, charges dropped against the driver. Smh....

When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

User avatar
redsonic
Posts: 1777
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:08 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2021 Cycling fatalities

Postby redsonic » Mon May 16, 2022 6:34 pm

The man who killed Dr Byron Gordon on New Years Day '21 has had his bail revoked whilst awaiting sentencing.

A reminder:

Image

The driver, Darren White, had 4 different drugs in his system at the time. His defence lawyer said:
Accidents happen every day. Mr White did not expect to wake up and start the new year fresh by killing someone
I know she is his advocate, but I am really sick of this type of defence.

ABC News

User avatar
Thoglette
Posts: 6619
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:01 pm

Re: 2021 Cycling fatalities

Postby Thoglette » Mon May 16, 2022 6:41 pm

More in the above
AdelaidePeter wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:16 pm
I am shocked and sorry to have to start this thread only a few hours into the new year. Driver has been arrested. https://www.police.sa.gov.au/sa-police- ... ley-beach3 . I don't ride it myself, but this road is part of a popular seaside cycling route in Adelaide's north.

Drug driver Darren James White's bail revoked ahead of sentencing for cyclist's death at Henley Beach
Posted 4 wrote: An Adelaide man has been jailed for driving under the influence of "a cocktail of drugs", veering on to the wrong side of the road and killing a cyclist — and well-respected GP — who was "doing everything right".

Key points:

Doctor Byron Gordon was killed while riding his bike on January 1, 2021
Darren James White pleaded guilty* to causing death by dangerous driving
White had multiple drugs in his system at the time
* eventually
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 14839
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: 2021 Cycling fatalities

Postby MichaelB » Mon May 16, 2022 8:30 pm

redsonic wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 6:34 pm
The man who killed Dr Byron Gordon on New Years Day '21 has had his bail revoked whilst awaiting sentencing.

A reminder:

Image

The driver, Darren White, had 4 different drugs in his system at the time. His defence lawyer said:
Accidents happen every day. Mr White did not expect to wake up and start the new year fresh by killing someone
I know she is his advocate, but I am really sick of this type of defence.

ABC News
With 4 drugs in his system, how could anyone ever think they could defend their decision .... :?: :?: :?:

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users