Gravel tyres

Mr Purple
Posts: 2878
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: Gravel tyres

Postby Mr Purple » Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:54 am

I figured that might be the case.

At least with two bikes my tyres will now last twice as long!

User avatar
baabaa
Posts: 1575
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:47 am

Re: Gravel tyres

Postby baabaa » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:59 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:14 am
Currently confused with the whole gravel tyre thing.
This could be helpful
Tire Religion: Part 1 to part 3 and then a sum up - More Tire Talk - that it is really all about psi and why it is best to carry a pump than think about what sort and brand of tyres you need
https://g-tedproductions.blogspot.com/2 ... art-1.html
https://g-tedproductions.blogspot.com/s ... 20Religion

Mr Purple
Posts: 2878
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: Gravel tyres

Postby Mr Purple » Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:14 pm

baabaa wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:59 pm
Mr Purple wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:14 am
Currently confused with the whole gravel tyre thing.
This could be helpful
Tire Religion: Part 1 to part 3 and then a sum up - More Tire Talk - that it is really all about psi and why it is best to carry a pump than think about what sort and brand of tyres you need
https://g-tedproductions.blogspot.com/2 ... art-1.html
https://g-tedproductions.blogspot.com/s ... 20Religion
Thanks!

That is an excellent article and reflects a lot of what I'm thinking.

Given my experience with road tyres (20,000km with a new rear every 1000km tells you a lot) I can tell you one unfortunately timed puncture (sidewall, top of Cootha at 65km/hr) or one particularly wet day can turn you off a particular tyre completely. It is like a religion in that it's probably not necessarily evidence based.

I actually have a suspicion my road tyre destructive skills won't actually transfer across to my gravel tyres. Probably mainly because no-one's really a standing climber offroad, so I won't be quite as brutal on them. Already have a pump with a gauge so that'll be useful I think!

Funny how much better 40mm tubeless tyres at 40 PSI feels. After seeing a lot of people complain about how brutal singletrack is on a gravel bike, I must say rocky singletrack and descents actually felt a lot more comfortable than even a coarse chip road at 25mm and 80 PSI on my road bike. Looking forward to getting tubeless on the road and bumping the pressures down there.

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 14832
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Gravel tyres

Postby MichaelB » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:35 pm

Whilst my use will be more the occasional; gravel rather than the majority, initially on the ICAN X-Gravel build, I opted for the 40mm Challenge Strada Bianca Pro's - Tubed frpont and Tubeless on rear :!: Yep, and all based on price - goty the trubed one for $40, but as they only had one, the matching TLR version was also on special for $60, so I grabbed that.

All was good until (aside from the fitting ... :roll: ) I read that the wet weather grip is pretty average (and tested on Bicycle Rolling Resistance. After a few PM's back & forth with Warty and reviewing some specials on R2 Bike (where I was ordering my mudguards), it was a tossup between the Conti GP Urban 35mm (which actually size up at 33mm) and the Panaracer Gravelking Semi Slick Plus in 38mm (but size closer to 40mm), and whilst the GP Urban have slightly better wet weather grip, the size won me out, and grabbed some of the Gravelking SS for 35 Euro ea (after much deliberation and procrastination).

Will wear out the Strada Bianca's 1st, so have to get off my proverbial lardy ar$e and get riding before winter sets in !!

warthog1
Posts: 14381
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm
Location: Bendigo

Re: Gravel tyres

Postby warthog1 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:27 am

Reading this today;
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... ace-tlr-28

What's also surprising is that the new P Zero Race TLR will be available in much bigger sizes than we usually see with road bike tires. Next to the 26-622, 28-622, 30-622, and 32-622 sizes that are available as of right now, Pirelli will also introduce 35-622 and 40-622 sizes of the P Zero Race TLR later this year. We look forward to seeing gravel and touring bikes equipped with 40-622 P Zero Race TLR tires.

Hmm, could be interesting, they are supposed to test well in terms of puncture resistance.
Just hope they don't follow Conti, in profit skimming the market, like they are doing with the GP5000S TR.

Anyway, don't need any new tyres just yet but they may be an option.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 14832
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Gravel tyres

Postby MichaelB » Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:22 am

warthog1 wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:27 am
Reading this today;
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... ace-tlr-28

What's also surprising is that the new P Zero Race TLR will be available in much bigger sizes than we usually see with road bike tires. Next to the 26-622, 28-622, 30-622, and 32-622 sizes that are available as of right now, Pirelli will also introduce 35-622 and 40-622 sizes of the P Zero Race TLR later this year. We look forward to seeing gravel and touring bikes equipped with 40-622 P Zero Race TLR tires.

Hmm, could be interesting, they are supposed to test well in terms of puncture resistance.
Just hope they don't follow Conti, in profit skimming the market, like they are doing with the GP5000S TR.

Anyway, don't need any new tyres just yet but they may be an option.
The Corsa N.EXT also test well and currently come in 32 & 34mm sizes, and also reportedly performed well.

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 14832
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Gravel tyres

Postby MichaelB » Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:27 am

warthog1 wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:27 am
Reading this today;
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... ace-tlr-28

Just hope they don't follow Conti, in profit skimming the market, like they are doing with the GP5000S TR.

Anyway, don't need any new tyres just yet but they may be an option.
Given current pricing of $139 PER tyre, I’d say that’s a forlorn hope ….

warthog1
Posts: 14381
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm
Location: Bendigo

Re: Gravel tyres

Postby warthog1 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:02 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:27 am
warthog1 wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:27 am
Reading this today;
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... ace-tlr-28

Just hope they don't follow Conti, in profit skimming the market, like they are doing with the GP5000S TR.

Anyway, don't need any new tyres just yet but they may be an option.
Given current pricing of $139 PER tyre, I’d say that’s a forlorn hope ….
Yes. This is presumably the older one.


https://www.bikebug.com/pirelli-pzero-r ... -tyre.html

:roll: :x
Dogs are the best people :wink:

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 14832
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Gravel tyres

Postby MichaelB » Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:37 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:27 am
Reading this today;
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... ace-tlr-28

What's also surprising is that the new P Zero Race TLR will be available in much bigger sizes than we usually see with road bike tires. Next to the 26-622, 28-622, 30-622, and 32-622 sizes that are available as of right now, Pirelli will also introduce 35-622 and 40-622 sizes of the P Zero Race TLR later this year. We look forward to seeing gravel and touring bikes equipped with 40-622 P Zero Race TLR tires.

Hmm, could be interesting, they are supposed to test well in terms of puncture resistance.
Just hope they don't follow Conti, in profit skimming the market, like they are doing with the GP5000S TR.

Anyway, don't need any new tyres just yet but they may be an option.
Currently BB have these tyres for $99 (prob the older versions)
https://www.bikebug.com/pirelli-cintura ... 95613.html

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... -velo-2018

From the 26mm test version
Rolling Resistance: 16.0 Watts (Race 28mm is 10.9W)
Puncture Resistance: 103 Points (Race 28mm is 56 points)
Static Wet Grip: 69 Points (Race 28mm is 75 points)

Not quite the same ball park re RR, but wet grip is close, and puncture resistance is way better

warthog1
Posts: 14381
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm
Location: Bendigo

Re: Gravel tyres

Postby warthog1 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:59 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:37 pm


Currently BB have these tyres for $99 (prob the older versions)
https://www.bikebug.com/pirelli-cintura ... 95613.html

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... -velo-2018

From the 26mm test version
Rolling Resistance: 16.0 Watts (Race 28mm is 10.9W)
Puncture Resistance: 103 Points (Race 28mm is 56 points)
Static Wet Grip: 69 Points (Race 28mm is 75 points)

Not quite the same ball park re RR, but wet grip is close, and puncture resistance is way better
The puncture resistance is a big plus if they are to see any gravel. :)

I am currently running a 40mm cinturato gravel h on my rear wheel.
Based on advice from RonK.
Not bad. Second one.
Had a couple of punctures but they roll and wear well. Grip is ok too.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

User avatar
Retrobyte
Posts: 1542
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:43 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Gravel tyres

Postby Retrobyte » Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:22 am

MichaelB wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:37 pm

Currently BB have these tyres for $99 (prob the older versions)
https://www.bikebug.com/pirelli-cintura ... 95613.html

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... -velo-2018

From the 26mm test version
Rolling Resistance: 16.0 Watts (Race 28mm is 10.9W)
Puncture Resistance: 103 Points (Race 28mm is 56 points)
Static Wet Grip: 69 Points (Race 28mm is 75 points)

Not quite the same ball park re RR, but wet grip is close, and puncture resistance is way better
I've had Cinturato Velos on my commuter bike for a year now - very happy with their grip, durability and puncture resistance (nil so far). And they roll a lot nicer than the Maxxis Refuse that were on the bike when I bought it :mrgreen:

Mr Purple
Posts: 2878
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: Gravel tyres

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:57 am

I have a set of Vittoria Corsa Next TLR 26mm to go on the road bike, and a set of the Terreno Dry 38mm to go on the gravel bike.

Will report back. Bought mainly on price at this stage, but both get decent reviews.

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 14832
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Gravel tyres

Postby MichaelB » Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:52 am

Retrobyte wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:22 am
MichaelB wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:37 pm

Currently BB have these tyres for $99 (prob the older versions)
https://www.bikebug.com/pirelli-cintura ... 95613.html

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... -velo-2018

From the 26mm test version
Rolling Resistance: 16.0 Watts (Race 28mm is 10.9W)
Puncture Resistance: 103 Points (Race 28mm is 56 points)
Static Wet Grip: 69 Points (Race 28mm is 75 points)

Not quite the same ball park re RR, but wet grip is close, and puncture resistance is way better
I've had Cinturato Velos on my commuter bike for a year now - very happy with their grip, durability and puncture resistance (nil so far). And they roll a lot nicer than the Maxxis Refuse that were on the bike when I bought it :mrgreen:
Cheers Retro, will keep an eye out if on special

gsxrboy
Posts: 827
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:19 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Gravel tyres

Postby gsxrboy » Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:16 pm

Just fitted some Tufo thuderos to replace the Bonty GR1 team edition tyres on me ride after reading the massive difference in rolling resistance they offer. They def look like they'll also have more grip too. Best thing is they sealed up just using a track pump right away. Amazing! Looking forward to seeing how these actually go in WA gravels.

Mr Purple
Posts: 2878
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: Gravel tyres

Postby Mr Purple » Mon May 01, 2023 1:28 pm

gsxrboy wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:16 pm
Just fitted some Tufo thuderos to replace the Bonty GR1 team edition tyres on me ride after reading the massive difference in rolling resistance they offer. They def look like they'll also have more grip too. Best thing is they sealed up just using a track pump right away. Amazing! Looking forward to seeing how these actually go in WA gravels.
Nice! I just punctured both my Bontrager GR1s today so I'm going to put the Vittoria Corsa Terreno Dry on. Be interesting to see how they roll.

warthog1
Posts: 14381
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm
Location: Bendigo

Re: Gravel tyres

Postby warthog1 » Mon May 01, 2023 2:34 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 1:28 pm


Nice! I just punctured both my Bontrager GR1s today so I'm going to put the Vittoria Corsa Terreno Dry on. Be interesting to see how they roll.
Have you visited this page Mr P?

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... el-reviews

I understand the testing isn't perfect but they all undergo the same test. It seems to correlate or approximate anyway.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Mr Purple
Posts: 2878
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: Gravel tyres

Postby Mr Purple » Mon May 01, 2023 5:25 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 2:34 pm
Mr Purple wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 1:28 pm


Nice! I just punctured both my Bontrager GR1s today so I'm going to put the Vittoria Corsa Terreno Dry on. Be interesting to see how they roll.
Have you visited this page Mr P?

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... el-reviews

I understand the testing isn't perfect but they all undergo the same test. It seems to correlate or approximate anyway.
Yep. Though I didn’t see the Bontrager GR1s I just replaced were on there! Worst rolling resistance of 69 gravel tyres tested (30.3W!) and closest to the worst puncture resistance on there.

The 38mm Vittoria Corsas should be a fair bit better at both and were a bargain at $65 apiece. Though I can see some Specialized Pathfinder Pros and Pirelli Cinturato H in my future.

Explains why I’ve killed both GR1s in 733km at least. Had to put a plug in the front to get home today and found another two punctures on the rear. Might slow things down a bit in the 161km E2E event though - 28km/hr average planned through some of those sections was a bit sketchy.

Mr Purple
Posts: 2878
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: Gravel tyres

Postby Mr Purple » Tue May 02, 2023 12:19 pm

So given I've put the Vittoria Corsa Terrenos on now I need spare tyres at home.

Deciding between the Specialized Pathfinder Pro in 42mm and the Tufo Thunderos.

Thoughts? Tufo look like they may roll a bit better (5W better in rolling resistance) but have slightly worse puncture resistance. Specialized will be $170 a pair versus $140 for the Tufo. Tufo also have a more aggressive knob pattern.

Calvin27
Posts: 2435
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: Gravel tyres

Postby Calvin27 » Tue May 02, 2023 2:23 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 12:19 pm
have a more aggressive knob pattern.
Imo unless you are riding in mud, one you hit a certain depth of knobbies, you don't really gain much more traction. I've probably gone through 10 different pairs of gravel tyres with varying knobs and having bigger knobbies only really helps at the extremes, like mud. I would go with the pathfinders.

Having said that I doubt you will notice much difference between the tyres on gravel. The spesh will outperform the tufo considerably on hard surface though imo.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Mr Purple
Posts: 2878
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: Gravel tyres

Postby Mr Purple » Tue May 02, 2023 3:45 pm

Thanks! Though I've just realised Specialized are marketing by confusion and the 'Pathfinder Pro' is different to the 'S Works Pathfinder'.

The 'Pro' is the one that's $80 and easily found online. The 'S Works Pathfinder' is $90-95 and harder to find. The 'Pro' is 100g heavier than the 'S Works' at 530g but may almost be the better option given punctures will likely be an issue in a few of the events I have planned.

To be honest the Thundero looks like a better option if only because it's less confusing! Should have a bit more versatility as well, and is a fair bit cheaper.

warthog1
Posts: 14381
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm
Location: Bendigo

Re: Gravel tyres

Postby warthog1 » Sun May 07, 2023 1:10 pm

https://road.cc/content/review/michelin ... yre-301029

Interested to see how these test and how expensive they end up being.
Look pretty good for gravel roads.
Haven't tried a Michelin gravel tyre yet.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Mr Purple
Posts: 2878
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: Gravel tyres

Postby Mr Purple » Sun May 21, 2023 12:39 pm

Went on a decent ride through Toohey and Karawatha today wondering how they'd somehow managed to freshly grade all the trails.

Then I remembered I dropped my tyre pressures from 40 to 35PSI yesterday. It's crazy how much of a difference it made!

One accidental KOM plus seven top 10s, also mainly accidental. I'm a convert.

User avatar
Retrobyte
Posts: 1542
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:43 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Gravel tyres

Postby Retrobyte » Sun May 21, 2023 4:39 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 12:39 pm
Went on a decent ride through Toohey and Karawatha today wondering how they'd somehow managed to freshly grade all the trails.

Then I remembered I dropped my tyre pressures from 40 to 35PSI yesterday. It's crazy how much of a difference it made!

One accidental KOM plus seven top 10s, also mainly accidental. I'm a convert.
But .... you are not 95kg like me :mrgreen:

Mr Purple
Posts: 2878
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: Gravel tyres

Postby Mr Purple » Sun May 21, 2023 5:01 pm

Yeah. 61kg makes things pretty forgiving!

warthog1
Posts: 14381
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm
Location: Bendigo

Re: Gravel tyres

Postby warthog1 » Sun May 21, 2023 5:59 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 5:01 pm
Yeah. 61kg makes things pretty forgiving!
That is the important factor imo.
39f, 40-42r, is firm at 76-78kg but lower has encountered rim strike for me.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users