Heffron Park - 9th May '09

lang

Heffron Park - 9th May '09

Postby lang » Sat May 09, 2009 6:05 pm

Almost a dozen started in D grade today, including forum member 531db.

Today's was a fairly fast paced race. I spent a bit of time at or near the front, trying to surge repeatedly to inflict as much pain as I could. :twisted: There were a few little failed breakaways here and there throughout the race - man it's hard to make them stick! I colluded with young bloke Keiran(?) to attack on the bell, which we did along with one other bloke from Bankstown CC. Well myself and keiran died out, but Mr Bankstown looked like he just might make it to the end. Unfortunately for him he didn't, and the win went to some guy I'd never seen at Heffron before. 531db had to retire around the middle when he threw a chain, and I coasted in to finish just behind the sprint.

Stats were:
24.24km distance
34.5km/h average - like I said pretty fast for D grade
47.5km/h max

It was fun, and another learning experience!

531db

Re: Heffron Park - 9th May '09

Postby 531db » Sat May 09, 2009 10:41 pm

Unfortunately it was more than just a thrown chain, the joining link actually failed on chain going over the second pimple on lap 8. I'd been going ok as well, after not racing for 5 weeks and barely riding in the last couple of months.

I'm not impressed by modern chains, unfortunately all todays bushingless chains suitable for my 7 speed block are designed to join with either a joinig link (weak link) or Shimano's hated 'pin'. I hanker for the good old Sedisport 7/8 speed chains, which you could just join with a chain breaker.

lemmiwinks

Re: Heffron Park - 9th May '09

Postby lemmiwinks » Mon May 11, 2009 12:47 pm

531db wrote:I'm not impressed by modern chains, unfortunately all todays bushingless chains suitable for my 7 speed block are designed to join with either a joinig link (weak link) or Shimano's hated 'pin'. I hanker for the good old Sedisport 7/8 speed chains, which you could just join with a chain breaker.
I've only got 7 speed on both my bikes, normally buy cheap chains from Kmart, but after new cassette and chainrings decided to splurge on genuine Shimano chains too. Since I had to shorten them both, and I already had a pin hanging out, I just pushed it back in to rejoin the chains. I worried for a while that there might be something special about the weird Shimano pin thingy, but well over 2000+km between the two bikes later and all still good. I doubt I could even find the special Shimano joining link now if I had to!
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC