Seat adjustment for the ladies

Isabella

Seat adjustment for the ladies

Postby Isabella » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:20 pm

I've just bought a new seat Selle italia SLR gel flow. I've out it on but then realised I have no idea how to adjust it for myself. A friend did it for me when I set up my bike initially. Any tips or hints appreciated as at the moment just sitting on it feels awkward - can't imagine riding for a few hours!

ni78ck

Re: Seat adjustment for the ladies

Postby ni78ck » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:27 pm

is it too high? or does it need to be moved front to back? or is the angle not correct?
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

Isabella

Postby Isabella » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:38 pm

see there's my problem I just don't know but I know it doesn't feel right. I've mucked around with the angles etc etc and can't get it right. the height I haven;'t adjusted since taking the other one off so should be okay

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:44 pm

you may need a lady to assist you with the angle. us guys try to have the seat as horizontal as possible. i personally have it slightly tilted fdown to assist me with saddle numbness. you may have to play around with it until it feels right. take an allen key with you on your next ride so you can adjust it if need be. :wink:
Cervelo R5

Isabella

Postby Isabella » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:46 pm

\yeah was thinking that'd be a good idea. maybe I'll try that adjustment as a guy did it for me last time and I'd say he'd do whatever a guy would ride with ... hmmm

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:51 pm

Isabella wrote:\yeah was thinking that'd be a good idea. maybe I'll try that adjustment as a guy did it for me last time and I'd say he'd do whatever a guy would ride with ... hmmm
interesting position to get use to :shock:
Cervelo R5

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:30 pm

By feeling awkward what do you mean? Stretching out, to cramped, feel like you are sliding forward or backwards. :?: Just a thought :idea: try putting your old seat back on to the bike in the same position and take measurements from it. Then set your new one up to the same points. The seat rails will have a mark on them from being in a position for some time. Hope this helps!! :)

Gary
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Isabella

Postby Isabella » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:19 pm

well I did that and have the seat in the same place so its not too far forward or back so must be the angle. Is there a normal sort of angle or standard angle to start with as a bench mark and adjust from there ?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:29 pm

I have always worked from dead level. By this I mean using a spirit level to get it dead level, and check that the ground is level before you start. :)
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:00 pm

Yep, start at level and give it a couple of rides. Does it have the same compressability as the old one? A bit more or less padding will make a difference to saddle height. I just switched saddles, to see if the older one will do for a tour, and still had to tweak saddle height a few times the first ride to get it right.

Isabella

Postby Isabella » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:08 pm

Rode with it this morning, made a few adjustments and it seems okay not great but as you have suggested I guess I have to sort of break it in and get used to it as well. So I think best to leave it now for a few rides and see how it goes?
Thanks for everyones help!

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:18 pm

Isabella wrote:Rode with it this morning, made a few adjustments and it seems okay not great but as you have suggested I guess I have to sort of break it in and get used to it as well. So I think best to leave it now for a few rides and see how it goes?
Thanks for everyones help!
i saw a friends seat this morning (lady) she had hers slightly angled forward.
where did you ride to? it was wet when i started, beautiful now that in at work :x
Cervelo R5

Isabella

Postby Isabella » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:15 pm

I rode to centennial and did a few laps then back home again. I thought it'd be raining all day so I lazily didn't get up till half past eight only to find the sun which made me happy and annoyed at the same time !
I've pretty much ended up doing that it's only just angled forward at the slightest at the moment but seemed to work best though will see how it fares on a longer ride than today. Ew working on a Saturday how unfair!

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:25 pm

i briefly went to CP too, but was home by 7:30!!
work aint that bad, i chose to come in today. just trying to accomodate my cycling habbits!! :P
Cervelo R5

Isabella

Postby Isabella » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:38 pm

7.30! wow impressive. Yeah true I have to work later this evening so I can understand working to accommodate the toys :D

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:47 pm

5;45 start!!
im starting to feel drowsy :|
Cervelo R5

Isabella

Postby Isabella » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:10 pm

5.45 am ... not too bad ... I guess :wink: drowsy ... I think I am too just pinched a tube ... 2nd time lucky I think

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:21 pm

foo on patrol wrote:I have always worked from dead level. By this I mean using a spirit level to get it dead level, and check that the ground is level before you start. :)
+1. But even before you do that, if you are having saddle fit issues, have you checked the saddle is wider than your sit bones ? See this recent saddle upgrade thread.

Another point to check is the so-called KOPS or knee over pedal spindle check. It's a good starting point for checking the fore/aft positioning of your saddle.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia