Cycling discussed on a kayak forum!

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Cycling discussed on a kayak forum!

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:37 pm

Someone posted a typical "I hate cyclists" rant on one of the kayak forums I read. I was most proud to see them get shouted down as being intolerant and ignorant of our needs! It has restored my faith in the attitude of most Aussies towards us, especially after that drop-kick got fined only $1200 for bringing a pack down.

One thing I got from the discussions was the prevalence of riders skipping through red lights. Nearly everyone has their ire up over that - maybe you blokes in Sydney should stop doing that little trick? (The forum has mostly Sydney members.) It's the one thing which gives riders a really bad name and which is so easy to stop. (They also don't like us using the road-edge of a bike lane, but we have good reason for that.)

Cheers,
Graeme

(PS - it's at 4 pages of discussion after only 7 hours. It's one hot topic there! Glad I'm not a mod ... ;))
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

seddo

Postby seddo » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:39 am

that sentiment does not suprise me on that forum - ex member

JV911

Postby JV911 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:52 am

riding 6 abreast?!?!
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

m@

Postby m@ » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:20 pm

JV911 wrote:riding 6 abreast?!?!
Read that, and thought, does this person think 'abreast' means in a paceline? Methinks a large part of the old 'cyclists break the law' chestnut is the average person's ignorance of the law...

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:39 pm

m@ wrote:Read that, and thought, does this person think 'abreast' means in a paceline? Methinks a large part of the old 'cyclists break the law' chestnut is the average person's ignorance of the law...
...and the English language!
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

wintal

Postby wintal » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:29 pm

I noticed a fairly typical misunderstanding of the rules there too - I often wonder if your average joe has any idea what the rules _actually_ are.

Nice to see though that a non-cyclist area had a reasonable amount of support for the cyclists, especially the understanding that 'a few bad eggs does not make the whole lot rotten'. This seems to be a concept often forgotten (here as well as in other places ;P)

Cheers,
Leighton....

Jake

Postby Jake » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:39 pm

seddo wrote:that sentiment does not suprise me on that forum - ex member
+1 Ex active member here too.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:09 am

m@ wrote:
JV911 wrote:riding 6 abreast?!?!
Read that, and thought, does this person think 'abreast' means in a paceline? Methinks a large part of the old 'cyclists break the law' chestnut is the average person's ignorance of the law...
On top of that, drivers are viewing a peleton from the rear, where it is very difficult to judge who is abreast and who is in-line but just off the line. In any typical peleton there will be riders riding just to the left or right to get a clearer road view, some who are dodging pothole/glass and the peleton may have an echelon characteristic due to side wind. A good two-abreast buch of 8 or 10 riders may look like four-abreast when viewed from the rear, but actually still be perfectly legal.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."