The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Lukeyboy

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:55 am

98octane wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:I was doing 22kph over the speed limit today... following a guy in a business suit on a CityCycle. COME AT ME BRO!
What was the limit?
A very fast and high speed limit of 10kph...... which was going on a down gradient too :P

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:19 am

Lukeyboy wrote:
98octane wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:I was doing 22kph over the speed limit today... following a guy in a business suit on a CityCycle. COME AT ME BRO!
What was the limit?
A very fast and high speed limit of 10kph...... which was going on a down gradient too :P
Goodwill bridge?

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:40 am

Further north. The one with the scaffolding still on it :P

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:47 am

Lukeyboy wrote:Further north. The one with the scaffolding still on it :P
kuriulpa

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:48 am

Mulger bill wrote:Gonna argue the toss there H. Unbalanced load, only one hand on the bars therefore insufficient braking capability for the Jeebers moments that life can throw at you.

'Druther he fitted some pegs to the rear axle and let junior hang onto him.

Shaun
Fair point. It isn't something I would be keen on doing and this is despite being quite willing to dink people for long distances.

But I'm not going to judge OTHER people for doing it.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:56 am

jasonc wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:Further north. The one with the scaffolding still on it :P
kuriulpa
Correct. The Kurilpa bridge. 10 points for you.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:13 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Correct. The Kurilpa bridge. 10 points for you.
about the only points I'll ever get for anything

had a dumb cyclist this morning. me: going city-bound over the kuriulpa bridge

bike rider coming along tank street heading the same way. cuts me off to hop onto the bike path, so I veer right, and he veers right in front of me

i stop at the lights next to him. he takes out his headphones (of course)
me: "did you look?"
him: "no"
me: "well you cut me off twice"
him: "oh"

iriot

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:22 pm

It just goes to show we have lizard brain cyclists as well as lizard brain motorists and pedestrians... :shock:
Last edited by Gordonhooker on Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OI onya bike!!!

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:28 pm

I've been complaining about zombie peds around Floriade... Well they ain't nothing compared to around Canberra Hospital! I can forgive the ill and the injured, but the healthy ones shuffling about the place, taking up the whole path, not moving to the side after several polite 'excuse me's...

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:08 pm

Good god, the man with the German Shepherd not on a leash down near Hoxton Park Road (near the bus stop in between that road and the next one along the T-Way). :shock: :evil:

The poor teenage girls walking ahead of me, that damn dog lunged at them while he was holding its collar and was snapping like mad, only it couldn't seem to bark or growl. :evil:

And then it went to do the same thing to me! The thing should be on a leash for starters, and if it is that vicious - then perhaps it should be put down, it is going to seriously hurt someone.

The owner of it said as he and the dog came up near me, "he's alright".

And then as he walked further away and I got moving, he let go of its collar.

My god.
The height of idiocy and extremely dangerous. :evil: I would have argued the point, but I didn't feel safe enough to do so. :x

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:18 pm

On Tuesday's ride home I was riding from the Merri Creek trail to the Main Yarra Trail and had a guy fly around the corner under the bridge for Heidelberg Rd, crossing over the centre line as he came toward me.

He got back onto his side of the trail, then called back "Keep left Hannah". I look up to see a big dog bounding around the corner, after he is well out of sight.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:06 pm

Today's dumb cyclist is me. Riding back through UQ this afternoon, along Sir William Macgregor Drive, was daydreaming a bit and kept closing right up on the back of a ute at each speedbump. I was only trying to conserve momentum, but the driver got understandably annoyed. He yelled at me to back off and wagged a finger at me...I backed off but was then thinking it over and came to the conclusion just after the last place I could have caught him (t junction) that I should probably apologise. Opportunity missed. So in the unlikely event of him coming here, sorry mate. Didn't mean to be a dill, just wasn't thinking. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:07 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:...was daydreaming a bit...
Not the best thing to do when riding in traffic. I have done this too at times. Lesson learned and I don't do it any more. I was just lucky not to have an incident to teach me a hard lesson.
<removed by request>

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:36 pm

Indeed. Not clever!
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

johnny99

Postby johnny99 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:20 pm

in light of the discusion about stop signs.

A London lawyer runs a stop sign and gets pulled over by a Glasgow copper.

He thinks that he is smarter than the cop because he is a lawyer from LONDON and is certain that he has a better education then any Jock cop.

He decides to prove this to himself and have some fun at the Glasgow cops expense!

Glasgow cop says, ” Licence and registration, please.”
London Lawyer says, “What for?”

Glasgow cop says, “Ye did’nt come to a complete stop at the stop sign.”

London Lawyer says, “I slowed down, and no one was coming.”

Glasgow cop says, “Ye still did’nt come to a complete stop. Licence and registration, please”

London Lawyer says, “What’s the difference?”

Glasgow cop says, “The difference is, ye have to come to complete stop, that’s the law. Licence and registration, please!”

London Lawyer says, “If you can show me the legal difference between slow down and stop, I’ll give you my licence and registration and you give me the ticket.

If not, you let me go and don’t give me the ticket.”

Glasgow cop says, “Sounds fair. Exit your vehicle, sir.”

The London Lawyer exits his vehicle.

The Glasgow cop takes out his baton and starts beating the living stuffing out of the lawyer and says, “Do ye want me to stop, or just slow doon?”

Saturnstarzz

Postby Saturnstarzz » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:28 am

Dumb Cyclist was me this morning.

Stop at City Square in melb CDB, going to visit the Bicycle Victoria peeps, roll to a stop forget to unclip and bang before I know it was on my side digging gravel. :shock:
Very embarrassing in front of a tent full of cyclists.

Last nigh going through dock lands ( whilst the footrscray rd bike path is closed) went a different way get to near a zebra crossing start looking traffic and forget to look forward and notice the set stairs.

only just landed it and made sure nobody was watchinig.

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:58 am

hahaha Johnny, that was gold! :lol:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:26 pm

Two runners tonight on the Canal cycleway in Sydney. Surely they saw me coming with bright blast of light. The male runner decides to spin round and run backwards - moving into my lane! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Cue emergency braking and many words that are unsuitable to be written here. :shock: That was too close.

And I didn't see a vehicle coming behind me when looking with glare in my eyes. The vehicle slowed down and I quickly sped up out of the way - but not good. For that I'm sorry and quite embarrassed. :(

Thrilloilogy

Postby Thrilloilogy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:25 pm

Peds seem to be more of a problem on shared paths than the cyclists. They seem to lose all their basic senses. Todays dumb pedestrian award goes to the retiree walking his leashed dog through the tunnel under Willoughby Rd off the Gore Hill cycleway towards Hallstrom Park/Bicentennial Reserve. I was happy to go slow till we cleared the tunnel, but this chap sees me and with all good intentions stops - but doesn't reel his dog over to leave enough room for me to pass. So I have to unclip and come to pretty much a stop.... And he says "all good" as I pass. But he was trying to be a considerate chap, so I will live and let live.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:08 am

Had a woman lose her proverbial when I told her (politely, I thought) that her dog should be on a leash.

As I was approaching the bridge under the Eastern Freeway on the Main Yarra trail a dog darts out. woman appears shortly afterwards, leash in hand. I say my piece, she screams. I cycle on and see another rider going the opposite direction who looks like he already had to stop fast for the dog.

:/
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:39 am

Dog walkers are a law unto themselves. You cannot dare say that dear little fido should be restrained because one, dear little fido is always innocent and wouldn't hurt a flea even, and two, cyclists should give way and have rego. :lol:

And failing that, the response is usually "awww shudddup".. :roll:

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:15 am

I think that I probably should start picking up loose fido and taking him to the council.

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:02 am

nezumi wrote: she screams.
Scream back. Then when she looks at you rather startled say "see how ____ing stupid that sounds"

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:04 pm

Depending on the size of the dog, I would point at it "mobile speedhump" and leave them with that thought
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:12 pm

Thrilloilogy wrote:Peds seem to be more of a problem on shared paths than the cyclists. They seem to lose all their basic senses. Todays dumb pedestrian award goes to the retiree walking his leashed dog through the tunnel under Willoughby Rd off the Gore Hill cycleway...
Yesterday on the Windan Bridge PSP, a cyclist was "walking" his leashed dog. I am lucky. On my PSP, cyclists and peds are all generally well behaved. I would split the "problem" path users 50/50 between peds and cyclists.
<removed by request>