The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

find_bruce

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby find_bruce » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:54 pm

The cyclists waiting at the lights in Pyrmont could only shake our heads at the tool on display this morning - rode onto the footpath, so he could ride across marked foot crossing despite the red light and other vehicles that had a green light, weaving through the oncoming traffic on the wrong side of the road, rode through the next red light, played chicken with another oncoming car before crossing back to the left side of the road & disappearing from view.

All of which might have saved him 20 seconds or so. Scarily he probably drives a car the same way.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

maestro

Postby maestro » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:04 pm

Discussion on Whirlpool about a dooring, with a few followups.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... #r45015148

I put it in this thread as that is the view presented in the Whirlpool post. If you took the cyclists point of view, it would be in the "other" thread.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:15 pm

^ interesting last post over there from 10 minutes ago
I just got off the phone to the police officer who attended the scene. He is still working on the report because there was CCTV footage from a shop across the road. He said that I should tell my insurer about the footage because it shows the cyclist was using some sort of electronic device right up to the point of impact. He couldn't tell if it was a phone or GPS or MP3 player but basically said that he wasn't paying attention and that it was his fault.

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:57 pm

According to that first post the cyclist rode into a door which had been open for 30 seconds... so there is an element of "dumb cyclist".

But leaving your door open like that is moronic. And rude. And illegal.

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:19 am

I checked the mirror before opening the door and it was clear
I call BS :)

About a hundred years ago, I was driving along Paramatta road in Stanmore just on dusk. I needed to get some cash out, so I pulled up in the left lane, which is a clearway. Because it was not long after the clearway end, I was one of the only cars parked. I went to open my door, then realised I didn't have my wallet, so I reached across for it, went to open the door again, got it about 6" open and BANG! Some guy on a motorbike had collected the edge of my door and ended up in a crumpled mess on the road in front of me.

It was pre-mobile phone but a tow truck came along eventually and he radioed the cops. The guy on the bike was out to it because he had brained himself on my door. Anyway long story short he had been hammering along and overtaken a car on it's left, not realising there were parked cars because he thought it was still a clearway. He hit the driver's side rear panel, skidded along the side of the car, and collected the edge of my door, which dismounted him from the bike.

So I always look over my shoulder now before opening a door, because if I'd not forgotten my wallet, I would probably not be here to tell the story.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:26 am

Couple from the past week.

Looks "better" in video than it did to my eyes but it's not rocket-science. Don't ride two up on narrow bike lanes about blind corners. Duh!!

Should have gone to specsavers...... ;)

Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:09 am

That last one is lucky he didnt get cleaned up!

How much do those bins piss you off? Every week for a day

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:26 am

the group riding east along hickson road on Sat morning about 9am, just after towns place. The three heroes at the front were behind a car which stopped at the pedestrian crossing. Genius group leaders went around the car on both sides and kept going. Why do cars stop at pedestrian crossings? Maybe its because a pedestrian is waiting to cross. In this case a woman with two kids. Predominately black kit. Looked like an organised group ride. Not a club but a shop or some collection of friends who like to relive their private school past and dress the same.

Fools of the lowest order.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:39 am

wellington_street wrote:That last one is lucky he didnt get cleaned up!

Two different days in two sections on that stretch too. It used to annoy me but lately I don't give it a second thought. Not pleasant in summer sometimes though.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:56 am

Boognoss wrote:

Two different days in two sections on that stretch too. It used to annoy me but lately I don't give it a second thought. Not pleasant in summer sometimes though.
You sure they're supposed to be put there blocking the bike lane? If not, I'd say a couple of complaints to council should be in order. I complained about bins that were left blocking the separated bike lane once - apparently there is a fine for placing the bin where it isn't supposed to be. Council seemed to take it fairly seriously and it hasn't happened again.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:30 am

Summernight wrote:
Boognoss wrote:

You sure they're supposed to be put there blocking the bike lane? If not, I'd say a couple of complaints to council should be in order. I complained about bins that were left blocking the separated bike lane once - apparently there is a fine for placing the bin where it isn't supposed to be. Council seemed to take it fairly seriously and it hasn't happened again.
If they don't put the bins on the bike lane and on the nature strip instead, then the garbage truck would have to be on the bike lane to empty it (automated collection thingo - not by hand). I don't have a problem with it as I can't see another option for the residents.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:50 pm

I nominate with no hesitation the two idiots that flashed past me on the right of the painted middle line thru the somewhat blind right-arcing tunnel underpass to the south of Bull Creek station this morning at considerable speed - 40kph? 50kph? Other than the speed and the riding line I can't say anything else - clothes or colours or gender - as they were out of sight before I could make any sense of what was happening.

If you were one of those who passed a unicyclist running late at around 5:45 I suggest that you have a serious look at that spot again from the direction you came from. Do you seriously believe that you could, even as individuals let alone as two cyclists only a metre or two apart, take evasive action if there was a ped or another cyclist, loose debris/sand or anything like a rubbish or any stray bit of junk?

If you then find you are in denial of the risk you posed to yourself, to me and to anyone else in the tunnel then I suggest then you hand in your bike and your drivers license. There are basic requirements of spacial awareness and assessment which you need to develop so that you and the rest of us are safe.

I make no apology to the idiot reference. It was what it was.

(For the record I have previously made a deliberate asssessment of this spot to determine of that section really is so bad. It is a marvel of stupid design and it is that bad. These guys are not the first I have been concerend about, though they were certainly of the more extreme.)
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Jangari

Postby Jangari » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:52 pm

Boognoss wrote:
Summernight wrote:
If they don't put the bins on the bike lane and on the nature strip instead, then the garbage truck would have to be on the bike lane to empty it (automated collection thingo - not by hand). I don't have a problem with it as I can't see another option for the residents.
I thought those automatic bin taking machines were accompanied by a garbo on foot making sure the bins are within reach. Surely they could be directed to put the bins back on the nature strip.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:01 pm

Had the trailer on this morning with junior onboard so a fair weight to pull up in a hurry. Ahead on the Red Bluff elevated walkway over the water around Eleebana were two pedestrians, one on each side up against the rails, I presume to look over the side. Rang my bell expecting things to wrong. The lady on the right first looked like staying put, then decided to get on the left. I went to go around on the right and she then, in a panic, ducked back to the right by which time I was close enough that emergency braking was required including locking up the rear. She said sorry and I think was a bit embarrassed. I guess I should have split them without ringing the bell.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Teslik

Postby Teslik » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:41 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I nominate with no hesitation the two idiots that flashed past me on the right of the painted middle line thru the somewhat blind right-arcing tunnel underpass to the south of Bull Creek station this morning at considerable speed - 40kph? 50kph? Other than the speed and the riding line I can't say anything else - clothes or colours or gender - as they were out of sight before I could make any sense of what was happening.

If you were one of those who passed a unicyclist running late at around 5:45 I suggest that you have a serious look at that spot again from the direction you came from. Do you seriously believe that you could, even as individuals let alone as two cyclists only a metre or two apart, take evasive action if there was a ped or another cyclist, loose debris/sand or anything like a rubbish or any stray bit of junk?

If you then find you are in denial of the risk you posed to yourself, to me and to anyone else in the tunnel then I suggest then you hand in your bike and your drivers license. There are basic requirements of spacial awareness and assessment which you need to develop so that you and the rest of us are safe.

I make no apology to the idiot reference. It was what it was.

(For the record I have previously made a deliberate asssessment of this spot to determine of that section really is so bad. It is a marvel of stupid design and it is that bad. These guys are not the first I have been concerend about, though they were certainly of the more extreme.)
I've just recovered from a fractured knee cap from that very same section. Another rider travelling 40kph - 50kph taking a corner too fast and veering into my lane. I would like to get his version of events but he has complete memory loss for most of that day because of major head trauma. Slow down at blind corners

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:50 pm

Boognoss wrote:If they don't put the bins on the bike lane and on the nature strip instead, then the garbage truck would have to be on the bike lane to empty it (automated collection thingo - not by hand). I don't have a problem with it as I can't see another option for the residents.
It certainly would be against the road rules to go willfully causing a long-term road obstruction like that (just one, never mind every residence on the street), and if the council requires it of residents then they are complicit in law-breaking. Maybe send off a video or photo to the council waste collection service, with a copy to the local police division-commander of traffic and the roads authority. It is up to the council to deal with the problem safely (which this current approach does not).

We have the technology to do it :o

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:38 pm

Teslik wrote:I've just recovered from a fractured knee cap from that very same section. Another rider travelling 40kph - 50kph taking a corner too fast and veering into my lane. I would like to get his version of events but he has complete memory loss for most of that day because of major head trauma. Slow down at blind corners
Welcome to the forum Teslik. Regrettably the only way errant riders acknowledge these things is to have casualties such as your self so thanks for posting. But, much as convincing a P-Plater that is yet to have their first crash of impending disaster, even then it is a stretch.

I hope the knee makes for a good recovery. Gimme a shout when you pass me.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:04 pm

il padrone wrote:
Boognoss wrote:If they don't put the bins on the bike lane and on the nature strip instead, then the garbage truck would have to be on the bike lane to empty it (automated collection thingo - not by hand). I don't have a problem with it as I can't see another option for the residents.
It certainly would be against the road rules to go willfully causing a long-term road obstruction like that (just one, never mind every residence on the street), and if the council requires it of residents then they are complicit in law-breaking. Maybe send off a video or photo to the council waste collection service, with a copy to the local police division-commander of traffic and the roads authority. It is up to the council to deal with the problem safely (which this current approach does not).

We have the technology to do it :o

Pretty sure they do that so they can reach between parked cars when required. Which raises another question, would you prefer a stationary object in the way (bin) or a long arm that reaches across the bike lane a bit randomly?
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

silentC

Postby silentC » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:08 pm

Couple of ramps either side of the arm, no problemo.. :)
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:13 pm

Bring back the good ol days of garbage collectors.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:37 pm

bychosis wrote:Which raises another question, would you prefer a stationary object in the way (bin) or a long arm that reaches across the bike lane a bit randomly?
Not so 'random' when there is a bloody big truck going slowly along doing the job. Legally the garbo driver would have to be scrupulously vigilant before deploying the arm across a bike path - any incident and he'd be liable.

Yes, I'd rather that than stray bins scattered all over the bike path. If you can't watch out for the garbo truck emptying bins, you shouldn't be riding a bike.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:27 pm

Lost the plot today with Mr SS Hippie Douchebag. This Dumbo ambles along until someone overtakes him them wheelsucks them for 300m then sprints past followed by him slowing down in your face. I've seen him do it before, and he did it three times in a row to three different guys today before I got my chance- so when he overtook me (I was doing 40 plus heading north past Glendalough Station- so not mucking around) I vented (not SFBNA). I let him go only to observe him doing the same to another group up the road later on the same commute :roll: .
I checked the footage on the Fly6 and it appears he wheelsucks you whilst holding onto the brake levers - real safe.
Next time I will be brake checking him :x

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:29 pm

il padrone wrote:
bychosis wrote:Which raises another question, would you prefer a stationary object in the way (bin) or a long arm that reaches across the bike lane a bit randomly?
Not so 'random' when there is a bloody big truck going slowly along doing the job. Legally the garbo driver would have to be scrupulously vigilant before deploying the arm across a bike path - any incident and he'd be liable.

Yes, I'd rather that than stray bins scattered all over the bike path. If you can't watch out for the garbo truck emptying bins, you shouldn't be riding a bike.
Ditto. If a rider fails to see a garbage truck crawling the curbs then I'd suggest rider first look at him/herself for fault.

Actually il Padrone, they should not even set foot outside their door. :mrgreen:

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:41 am

This morning my wife was halfway through a roundabout when a cyclist came flying through from her left and missed the bonnet by about a metre. His mate had the sense to give way. She was still shaking 20 minutes later. Keeping an eye on a strava segment nearby to see if anyone rode it at 6:45 this morning. Sadly it was probably someone I know...
- Me

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:51 am

I nominate myself this morning. Doing about 50km/h down dornoch terrace. I didn't see the indicator of the ute towing trailer til a bit later than I should have as I was concentrating on the ground in front of me. No damage done, just some heavy braking