Cycle Insurance in Oz

jasimon

Postby jasimon » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:00 pm

Aushiker wrote:G'day

I got another quote (does this ever end?) from HBF and to cover three bikes plus the trailer for a value of $6380 and in use (excluding racing) it adds $187.55 to the premium.

Andrew
That's cheaper than my rates on a per $1000 basis - maybe theft rates are higher in Sydney...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:08 pm

jasimon wrote:That's cheaper than my rates on a per $1000 basis - maybe theft rates are higher in Sydney...
My experience is that eastern states insurance companies tend to quote on the postcode rather than the suburb and my post code covers some low rent areas. Maybe HBF being local have a different approach.

The overall quote is about $150 cheaper than GIO.

Andrew

brendancg

Postby brendancg » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:39 pm

I know this thread is a bit old but I have been investigating cycle insurance for my bike which I race. GIO will NOT insure whilst racing, I checked today. The only covers you can get to insure whilst racing are Cyclecover which includes your contents insurance. I have found another insurance company which covers your bicycle including racing without contents insurance and that is called velosure. Seems to be reasonably priced for $3000 road bike expect to pay about $200.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:56 pm

You'll find "Velosure" ads in the side bar on the right of this forum's pages sometimes. I looked into insuring both my main bikes through them, but the $450+ per year scared me .... maybe I can get away with only insuring the MTB and relying on the dorkiness of the 'bent to put off potential thieves ....

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:14 pm

Kalgrm wrote:You'll find "Velosure" ads in the side bar on the right of this forum's pages sometimes. I looked into insuring both my main bikes through them, but the $450+ per year scared me .... maybe I can get away with only insuring the MTB and relying on the dorkiness of the 'bent to put off potential thieves ....
I got a much better deal than that with HBF including all three bikes in my contents policy.

Andrew

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:22 pm

True I guess, but they won't insure my professional photographic equipment. My contents is insured through a company which looks after all my professional equipment when in use, when stored or when travelling.

I suppose I could ring them up about the bikes ....

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:34 pm

Kalgrm wrote:True I guess, but they won't insure my professional photographic equipment. My contents is insured through a company which looks after all my professional equipment when in use, when stored or when travelling.
Yeah I understand your problem. I wanted to cover my bikes in use, my bushwalking gear in use and my contents. I had to dump my existing insurer which was CGU as they wouldn't cover the bikes and hunt around for a company that would do all three. HBF came up with the best deal and cover the bikes at home, at work and in use. More relaxed than some policies. It really pays to read the policy document carefully with bikes. Some policies required for example pretty serious storage requirements and if not complied with and your bike is stolen, there goes your bike without insurance coverage.

Velosure for example IIRC does not cover the bikes in the back of a car if there is a rear window, e.g., hatchback.

Probably in your case you are better off with separate bike insurance if you can't get it under your contents insurance. Theo at Velosure is open to feedback. I know I owe him some :) Might be worth seeing if you can get a better deal on your bikes. As you say recumbents are a low theft risk :)

Andrew

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:47 pm

As you say recumbents are a low theft risk :)
And they don't list them as an option! MTB, Road or Hybrid only - no real bikes.

Very short sighted, if you ask me! ;)

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:56 pm

Kalgrm wrote:
As you say recumbents are a low theft risk :)
And they don't list them as an option! MTB, Road or Hybrid only - no real bikes.

Very short sighted, if you ask me! ;)

Cheers,
Graeme
LOL well Theo told me the product is still in beta stage so if you want a contact email address let me know.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:22 pm

Hi Graeme

Just being reading the Velosure PDS and it states:

"A bicycle means different things to different people, but for the
purpose of this insurance, the Velosure definition of your bicycle
is any cycle, tricycle or tandem powered by human pedalling. This
includes road bikes, mountain bikes, even recumbents."

so it does look like they cover recumbents.

Regards
Andrew

theomac

Velosure and recumbent bicycles

Postby theomac » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:32 pm

Hi guys,

I am Theo from Velosure.

We will have "real" bikes as an option on the site from next week :wink:

Please use road bikes as bicycle type for the time being. Please us the custom spec option to describe your bike as thoroughly as possible.

Please feel free to contact me anytime if you have any questions

Kind regards

Theo Grobler

JimSchaulk

Re: Cycle Insurance in Oz

Postby JimSchaulk » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:09 pm

http://www.bikesureonline.com.au
http://www.velosure.com.au

IMO these are the only bicycle insurance companies worth consideration. If I had to choose one it would Bikesure just because their policies cover damages worldwide. Pretty handy if you enjoy going on cycling holidays 8)