Police target cyclists October 17 in Sydney

biker jk

Police target cyclists October 17 in Sydney

Postby biker jk » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:58 pm

There will be a Police operation focusing on cyclists this Monday 17th October. The operation will concentrate on inner Sydney and Centennial Park areas.

timbo

Re: Police target cyclists October 17 in Sydney

Postby timbo » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:06 pm

This was actually mentioned on the startline of the Spring Cycle, and the starter also mentioned that it would be a good idea if everybody had a bell mounted on their bike ( a bit of inside information). Good on the police for targeting cyclists for red light infringements etc, but a bell? Mr. Motor driver with his windows wound up listening to morning radio, or answering voice messages would have no hope in hell of hearing a bell on a bicycle.
But still, let the police go through the process to satisfy the Do-Gooders (Pollies), and then we can all get back to sensibility.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:52 am

They were stationed at the intersection of the Pyrmont Bridge hotel when I rode past this morning. 4 standing and 2 on bikes.

hez

Postby hez » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:29 pm

good thing is raining today

hunch

Postby hunch » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:39 pm

Must have been a motoring sting on the M4 too! Saw probably 7 or 8 HWP cars between Granville and Penrith and probably 3 drivers pinged - going by their depressed looks. Presence still didn't stop an accident - resulting in a big bank up of traffic.

Widget

Postby Widget » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:33 pm

Never quite understood why its a requirement to have a bell, especially for the riders that ride on/next to roads... I highly doubt any motorist would be able to hear one when used.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:53 am

Because it is an outdated, outmoded law that nobody ever bothered taking out of the statute books. That's my guess, anyway.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

tbohlsennswssrg

Postby tbohlsennswssrg » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:06 am

258 Equipment on a bicycle

A person must not ride a bicycle that does not have:

(a) at least 1 effective brake, and

(b) a bell, horn, or similar warning device, in working order.

Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.

Legislation.nsw.gov.au. (2017). Road rules 2014. [online] Available at: https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/#/vi ... 5/rule.258 [Accessed 30 Nov. 2017].

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:17 am

At least my wife can hear my 'bell' when i get home from work from inside the house....so...she can open up the garage door for me :mrgreen:
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

fishwop

Postby fishwop » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:22 pm

I put a bell on my Defy Advanced when I bought it a couple of months back. I've used it once in 1400km, and even then it was just as a courtesy.

zebee

Postby zebee » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:56 pm

I use my bell frequently because I use shared paths a lot. I suspect "no using shared paths unless equipped with bell" is not going to happen to placate people who really really can't handle having a bell spoil the lines of their bicycle.

Using bell works because peds know what it is, so given warning in plenty of time they move over till I pass. I tried voice but really the bell works better for both parties.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:58 pm

zebee wrote:I use my bell frequently because I use shared paths a lot. I suspect "no using shared paths unless equipped with bell" is not going to happen to placate people who really really can't handle having a bell spoil the lines of their bicycle.

Using bell works because peds know what it is, so given warning in plenty of time they move over till I pass. I tried voice but really the bell works better for both parties.
I've been right behind a walker with a bell, dinging that stupid thing without response. The walker was in iPod world, completely zoned out and totally oblivious. I had to shout at full volume while I was maybe a metre behind her and almost at a track stand.

The bell is a poor replacement for riding appropriately to the conditions. if you slow down enough and call out that you are passing and what side you are passing on, you don't need to use the bell.

And it is completely useless on the road.

zebee

Postby zebee » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:23 am

g-boaf wrote:
I've been right behind a walker with a bell, dinging that stupid thing without response. The walker was in iPod world, completely zoned out and totally oblivious. I had to shout at full volume while I was maybe a metre behind her and almost at a track stand.
So, to know if they are really useless you need to state how many times you have been behind a walker, how many times you have warned walkers you have been behind, and how many failed to notice the warning.

I mean you don't want to argue like certain car drivers about cyclists do you? Generalising from one bad actor to an entire class?

I travel on paths several times a week. Don't get many walkers on my commute, do on the weekends. I would use a bell sometimes over 20 times on a long ride and over the years I have perhaps had 2 or 3 people not react. As you found they might not even notice a yell. I had more non-reactions to calling then I do when I use a bell. (I don't always use the bell. Sometimes "excuse me" is better in context)

Generally I find they hear me and know what to do. Some do not know what to do, I had one couple walking side by side who each darted to a different side of the path which would have been OK if they had moved to the side they were on... but for some reason they both jumped smartly to the opposite side, collided in the middle and all 3 of us stopped dead to laugh ourselves silly.

Given that in any situation involving humans you are going to get reactions you don't expect, of course you have to ride expecting to take action to avoid. However, mostly people co-operate. I use the bell to warn them I am coming as I find a bike going past often startles someone. There's no good reason to do that. I find the hatred of bells really bizarre but then I'm a recumbent and folding bike rider so I clearly am not into looking cool or worrying about weight. (or much about handlebar real estate, as on both bikes there's enough for gears, bell, lights, what else do I need?)