Bent skewer?

McPete

Bent skewer?

Postby McPete » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:45 pm

Folks;
Today, I decided to repack the hubs on my Apollo, as I suspected that might cure the odd clicking noise the rear hub makes under load in absolute granny gear (not that low, actually...).

In dissasembly, I noted that the rear skewer was somewhat bent, and I've straightened it as much as I can, cleaned out the old grease (Yellow-brown and hard as plastic) and replaced it with some lovely new red grease.

The knocking noise is significantly quieter, but still annoying. Do we think the skewer the cause of this noise, or have the bearings been slightly crushed?
Cheers,
Pete

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:50 pm

Are you sure the axle's not bent too Pete?

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

McPete

Postby McPete » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:53 pm

I had a good look at it, Im fairly sure It's ok. There's a pressure line in the skewer on the far side of the axle, and that's where the bend was in the skewer.

I'm buying 700C wheels for it next year, but I'd like to run it for the first few weeks of work in top shape, so it's getting a big mechanical overhaul at the moment.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:33 pm

Could also be a broken lug in the frame. It happened to me and I had exactly the same symptoms as you.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?