Commuter Cup Racing

ft_critical

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby ft_critical » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:29 pm

Comedian wrote:By the way... as of next month I'm going to do a running total of people that pop in to claim so we can all practice for next year when I'll start a thread up and run it by SCR rules. :twisted:
One missing rule: they have to race back.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:47 pm

ft_critical wrote:
Comedian wrote:By the way... as of next month I'm going to do a running total of people that pop in to claim so we can all practice for next year when I'll start a thread up and run it by SCR rules. :twisted:
yep... absolutely. :)

Maybe we can come up with some other rules for the aussie version of SCR over the next couple of months. ;)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:30 pm

jasonc wrote:
Comedian wrote:
jasonc wrote:unbelievable this morning . chasing a mountain bike for about 5 kms. finally get him along coro drive, then he gets me straight back going over the go between bridge

he was moving
Maate.. you know you can't count that - don't you? On a hybrid you are further up the chain than he is. By engaging him though he can count you! :mrgreen: So that's a big -1. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I know :oops:
not often I get beaten in CCR. probably needed to just be put back in my box today
I feel better - talking to a gent this afternoon, found out the bloke on the MTB was Jay Taylor. This explains it:

this guy

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:11 pm

jasonc wrote:unbelievable this morning . chasing a mountain bike for about 5 kms. finally get him along coro drive, then he gets me straight back going over the go between bridge

he was moving
I feel better - talking to a gent this afternoon, found out the bloke on the MTB was Jay Taylor. This explains it:

this guy[/quote][/quote]

That one DEFINITELY counts!

From famine to flood for me today, usually i never see anyone, this morning i saw more than 20 other riders. Now the first 2 i took don't count, as they were an elderly couple on hybrids but i caught a group of 3 on TT/tri bikes, and given i had flat pedals and was wearing steel caps, they definitely count! (Even though there was 4 and one peeled off, so they were probably finishing a ride). Was seriously hard work to get them. The last one i'm not sure about, a bloke in maybe his 50s on a flat bar roadie, passed him up a small rise then eased off a little, he came charging past and i saw (along with it being a very nice Principia frame) that he was running single speed (with what looked like a Sram Red RD as a chain tensioner :shock: ). Feeling insulted i then gave it everything and rocketed past him, i was very glad when i looked back less than a k later and saw him turn off as i was very close to blowing up. So does the last one count? (bearing in mind the work boots, and he had carbon bars :) ).
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:10 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
he was moving

this guy
That one DEFINITELY counts!

From famine to flood for me today, usually i never see anyone, this morning i saw more than 20 other riders. Now the first 2 i took don't count, as they were an elderly couple on hybrids but i caught a group of 3 on TT/tri bikes, and given i had flat pedals and was wearing steel caps, they definitely count! (Even though there was 4 and one peeled off, so they were probably finishing a ride). Was seriously hard work to get them. The last one i'm not sure about, a bloke in maybe his 50s on a flat bar roadie, passed him up a small rise then eased off a little, he came charging past and i saw (along with it being a very nice Principia frame) that he was running single speed (with what looked like a Sram Red RD as a chain tensioner :shock: ). Feeling insulted i then gave it everything and rocketed past him, i was very glad when i looked back less than a k later and saw him turn off as i was very close to blowing up. So does the last one count? (bearing in mind the work boots, and he had carbon bars :) ).[/quote]

bugger for me, great work by you. definitely counts.

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:56 pm

Comedian wrote:
ft_critical wrote:
yep... absolutely. :)

Maybe we can come up with some other rules for the aussie version of SCR over the next couple of months. ;)
Points system....
Happy Days

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:52 pm

Got run down this morning by a guy on a full TT carbon rig on a downhill I'd just turned onto. Needless to say chase was given, gains were made in return, however he turned off before I could catch him. I did note as I passed his turn off some coasting was evident!

First time in a very long time that has happened. It'll teach me to pay more attention to what's going on! GRRRRRR :x

csy75

Postby csy75 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:59 pm

I keep getting blown away by people on mountain bikes on my morning commute. ( i have a rather heavy flat bar commuter ).

Their huge wheels make me think they are pro's or something but it always happens about 12km's into the 14km journey...I guess i'm pacing myself by that stage.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:20 pm

csy75 wrote:I keep getting blown away by people on mountain bikes on my morning commute. ( i have a rather heavy flat bar commuter ).

Their huge wheels make me think they are pro's or something but it always happens about 12km's into the 14km journey...I guess i'm pacing myself by that stage.
Blah blah EXCUSE Blah blah EXCUSE blah blah. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sorry... but if you engage it's game on. :lol: :lol:

csy75

Postby csy75 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:47 pm

:lol:

fair call.....

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:10 am

In my last 3 months of commuting I have not even seen another commuter, let alone have anything like a race :cry:

Does catching up to one of your mates on a full carbon roadie then passing him when he turns off count? LOL

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:56 pm

I rarely see anyone on my now morning commute, but once when the blue moon comes around I do get one

On my second ever ride to work I was going up this hill when another rider just flew past me, made me look as if I was going nowhere. Anyway kept going and once at the top could see him in the distance and thought he isnt too far ahead. Didnt change my pace to catch up, but I did take a somewhat illegal shortcut over a bridge and lo and behold he was just in front of me by about a 100 metres or so. I sped up to catch him and sat on his tyre for a bit but thought I better let him know I was there.

I got up next to him and said "Dont go so fast up the hills, you make me look bad". He did a double take and nearly came off his bike with surprise that I had caught up to him. He had got caught at a set of lights going the "right" way. Ended up riding together for the next 20k's or so

Think I saw him yesterday morning a k or so in front and was pushing to catch up to him but the gods werent smiling on me just then and I got a flat...end of race

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:50 pm

I know you're out there...

Coming home from Parramatta, picked a big MTB bloke. He managed to sneak past me coming up from the Parramatta Park through Westmead, I got my spot back as we headed across Cumberland Highway. I was moving reasonably quick (he COULD NOT relax to keep up), but it was supposed to be a rest day, so I was picking a lower gear than I would otherwise pick... anyways, I come up to Doig St and decided to get into the drops and make it happen, with the intention of burying him up to the Tway.

For the second time, a younger skinny bloke came from somewhere, and was sucking my wheel as I launched nuclear assault at this climb. It was almost comical, my glasses mirror is on my bad eye so I can't see great through it, so it took a couple takes to realise I've got the young gun on my tail. Anyways, I've powered up the climb in the big ring, then snuck around the hairpin and back into it... I didn't push myself super hard down the hill, but the loud freehub noise once or twice made sure I knew he was sucking my wheel pretty hard. I didn't hear it often though :mrgreen:

Picked up a light at the bottom, went screaming down that access road next to Windsor, and could still hear the bloke charging behind me as we parted ways under the bridge.

He hasn't taken me both times I've seen him, but he's the only guy that has been able to keep up. Xplora 2, random Club cyclist 0 8)

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:45 pm

Xplora wrote: It was almost comical, my glasses mirror is on my bad eye so I can't see great through it, so it took a couple takes to realise I've got the young gun on my tail.
Xplora 2, random Club cyclist 0 8)
Any club cyclist that gets taken by some Fred with a helment mirror, bar end mirror, handlebar mirror, glasses mirror or any other bicycle detractor sure won't want to show his face on a group ride again. Shame, shame, shame

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:38 am

ft_critical wrote:
Xplora wrote: It was almost comical, my glasses mirror is on my bad eye so I can't see great through it, so it took a couple takes to realise I've got the young gun on my tail.
Xplora 2, random Club cyclist 0 8)
Any club cyclist that gets taken by some Fred with a helment mirror, bar end mirror, handlebar mirror, glasses mirror or any other bicycle detractor sure won't want to show his face on a group ride again. Shame, shame, shame
In fairness, experience shows that I'm going miles quicker than most of the people I see on my commute, you have to be keen to keep up, and I will spew if necessary to hold position :mrgreen:

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:58 am

Comedian wrote:
csy75 wrote:I keep getting blown away by people on mountain bikes on my morning commute. ( i have a rather heavy flat bar commuter ).

Blah blah EXCUSE Blah blah EXCUSE blah blah. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sorry... but if you engage it's game on. :lol: :lol:
Say what you really mean, don't hold back mate :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
goneriding wrote:Got run down this morning by a guy on a full TT carbon rig on a downhill I'd just turned onto. Needless to say chase was given, gains were made in return, however he turned off before I could catch him. I did note as I passed his turn off some coasting was evident!

First time in a very long time that has happened. It'll teach me to pay more attention to what's going on! GRRRRRR :x
Make a note of him and look out for him, then take him with a grin :mrgreen:
Happy Days

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:07 am

Yesterday riding along Cooks river, I was riding light tempo having already completed 2 spin classes and was heading for my third. A rider goes past me and I say to myself, nup I'm not going to bite. Couple of hundred meters and he turns off.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:28 am

A good draw/win this morning at SOP. The good bici is in the shop for some TLC so I was doing laps on the commuter. As I was on the last lap I saw a guy steaming down Australia Ave as I was approaching from Hill Rd. I hit the turn a bit before him and put on the gas only for him to jump on (full carbon rig) my wheel. Channeling my outrage from being passed the other day into stomping on the pedals I think I got the speed high enough to stop him from passing me. At the bottom of the hill at the Hockey Centre I put in a surge up the hill and managed to put a gap into him which I think he was able to claw most of (was concentrating on speed) back. At the lights he turned and I kept on going straight through.

Looking at the numbers we were in the mid 30's+ along the back straight of SOP and topped out at 46 kph just after the Hockey Centre.

Fun :)

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:08 pm

So Friday is recovery day. More so, as I had just got out of hospital that morning after the full pelvis replacement. Would you believe the bad luck? My bike was out of order. So I took my daughters Disney Princess 36cm with stabilizers. Hey, it was a recovery day. I am just ticking it over out of the valley floor going up Alp d’Vertical Death, just as it hits 15% when a motorscooter goes past at 40kmh. Motorpacing it is some dude in full BMC kit, although it was all yellow which I thought was a bit odd. Anyway, I thought, rabbit, I thought, you’re mine. I stood and dropped the hammer at full gas. I felt the plastic Cinderella pedals flex under the massive power from my gauds. There were a few nervous moments as I was not used to driving out of the saddle after my right arm amputation at the shoulder. But soon I was feeling the chain again.
43km into the climb, I was in his draft, then I was at his 8 o’clock. He did the pagoda dragon, weaving across the road trying to shake me, but they don’t call me the ‘fridge magnet’ for nothing! He knew he was gone as the pink handlebar streamers brushed the rainbow bands at the bottom of his knicks. But he wasn’t my target. Again I drove. I was beside the scooter. I could see the redline and hear the engine screaming. We were close. Touching. I didn’t have much left. The crest was near. I gave him the Renshaw kiss. He dropped back – spent. With only one hand there was no victory salute. I just dinged the Little Mermaid bell a few times as I crushed that mountain leaving them spent in my draft. I could see another two victims of the commuter cup cannibal struggling like puppets in my helmet mirror.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:17 pm

beautiful. tim krabbe, the rider - right? :)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:43 pm

ft, did you get an aerodynamic advantage from the handlebar streamers?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Max

Commuter Cup Racing

Postby Max » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:08 pm

I got pwned by every other rider today :(

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:25 pm

Fantastic work ft, just the kind of laugh i needed after a tough friday :D :D :D .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:27 pm

This morning.. there was this dude... who met this lady he knew. They burnt past me on the flat in Noble Street while I was watching all my other fellow commuters trying to get run over. :shock:

So anyway... I don't mind. I slowly caught them and thought "I can't be bothered overtaking them as I don't want to put the effort into staying in front". Anyway... so I'm sitting behind them (out of the draft) and first hill and they both stop. Oh well ... past I go. I got stopped for traffic at the bottom of the next hill and they went past. Then... every hill into town same story. Going up to the green bridge they were trying but I was sitting up one hand on the bar... I might have started singing. :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Anyway it was too much... they split and then the bloke slowed down - I passed and I disappeared into the distance... Not really CCR but worth recounting. :)

the grid

Postby the grid » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:27 am

Blew off at least 5 of those pink beach cruisers today heading north through Surfers...haha