Mt Coot-tha training

lethoso

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby lethoso » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:47 pm

just a heads up, GC Climbers are running another coot-tha TT on march 10, 6:30am, meet before in the planetarium carpark.

https://www.facebook.com/events/139980122790410/

Course is up the front - http://app.strava.com/segments/895140, but if you want some fast rabbits to chase, there should be a few there.

I might go along, depends if I want to race that morning or not.

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:53 pm

you don't lose demerit points as a cyclist for any infringement (even if you have a licence), they can only fine you...
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:09 pm

Tried again on my commute in this morning with backpack of clothes, food etc. Much cooler today which meant I didn't melt!

First ride with my brand new commuting wheels, some pro-lite como's. As expected they are strong, but not light :) All the different little additions of "oh its only a couple of hundred extra grams that's nothing" has finally added up and my bike doesn't feel "light" when I pick it up any more :|

Did 12:48, which is 41 seconds longer than my PB. A wimpy performance vs many on here but its ok for me.

Its so nice up there earlier in the morning, a great way to start a work day :)

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:42 pm

Crittski wrote:you don't lose demerit points as a cyclist for any infringement (even if you have a licence), they can only fine you...
Incorrect, says so on the Dept of transport website. Even if you don't have a licence the points can be marked against your name to go on any future licence.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:14 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
Crittski wrote:you don't lose demerit points as a cyclist for any infringement (even if you have a licence), they can only fine you...
Incorrect, says so on the Dept of transport website. Even if you don't have a license the points can be marked against your name to go on any future licence.
From my understanding, it is only can be...

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:20 am

10.11 this morning that is my PB with 26 seconds of previous PB ..... Let's aim for a sub 10 now I think ...... those 3 training sessions this week sure helped .... might do Gravatt tomorrow :D ...... I think I am getting a climbing addiction

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:32 am

Le Velo wrote:10.11 this morning that is my PB with 26 seconds of previous PB ..... Let's aim for a sub 10 now I think ...... those 3 training sessions this week sure helped .... might do Gravatt tomorrow :D ...... I think I am getting a climbing addiction
That's honking. Well done :)

I've done a sub 10 before but not since chrissy. I'm hoping to go sub 10 again next week. :o

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:40 am

Comedian wrote:
Le Velo wrote:10.11 this morning that is my PB with 26 seconds of previous PB ..... Let's aim for a sub 10 now I think ...... those 3 training sessions this week sure helped .... might do Gravatt tomorrow :D ...... I think I am getting a climbing addiction

I've done a sub 10 before but not since chrissy. I'm hoping to go sub 10 again next week. :o
I think sub 10 is the holly grail for me at the moment ..... but getting closer ..... more training needed ...... maybe loose another 2kg will help ..... should crack a good pace for coot-tha challenge

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:24 am

Comedian wrote:

I'll just bring a tow rope. You two could tow me up quicker than I could ever ride it. I won't post my time til after Inwood leaves for his ride tomorrow morning. I had a good morning. Perfect weather.

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:10 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
Incorrect, says so on the Dept of transport website. Even if you don't have a licence the points can be marked against your name to go on any future licence.
Well thats weird considering this from their website also...

"Penalties
If you are 17 years of age or older and disobey any road rule while riding a bicycle, you may be given an infringement notice by a police officer. While you may be required to pay a fine for disobeying a road rule, you cannot accumulate any demerit points because they don’t apply to bicycle offences."

Taken from http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/401c4 ... spartd.pdf
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:29 pm

Back there again this morning...third week in a row! I acheived greatness this morning....made it up the back way without stopping or any assistance, I couldn't give a stuff about the time, just very happy to ride up without having to stop!!!

Felt so good that we did a lap up Mt Gravatt on the way home :D

maybe I will be doing laps around Coot-tha before too long..... :wink:
Lisa

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:50 pm

marinmomma wrote:Back there again this morning...third week in a row! I acheived greatness this morning....made it up the back way without stopping or any assistance, I couldn't give a stuff about the time, just very happy to ride up without having to stop!!!

Super cool Lisa!

Can't wait to catch you and MRMM there. :) I hope you're entering the challenge. You'll be doing far better than most. I saw heaps of people walking it last year. :o

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:29 pm

Comedian wrote:
marinmomma wrote:Back there again this morning...third week in a row! I acheived greatness this morning....made it up the back way without stopping or any assistance, I couldn't give a stuff about the time, just very happy to ride up without having to stop!!!

Super cool Lisa!

Can't wait to catch you and MRMM there. :) I hope you're entering the challenge. You'll be doing far better than most. I saw heaps of people walking it last year. :o
I saw heaps of people walking it this morning, let along the challenge. quite a few walking in a white jersey with a black stripe right up the middle....

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:47 pm

Comedian wrote:
Super cool Lisa!

We are entering the challenge, hope to see you up there one morning :)
Lisa

singlespeedscott

Mt Coot-tha training

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:46 pm

Just as a matter of interest, what combination of front chainring and rear cassette cog are you guys using to do your climbs with?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:38 am

OK, Inwood should have left by now. So my times for yesterday were:
12:04 and 12:38
Am really happy with the second time. It's a 20 second improvement on last time.
singlespeedscott wrote:Just as a matter of interest, what combination of front chainring and rear cassette cog are you guys using to do your climbs with?
my flat bar has a compact crank (50/34) with a 12-27 cassette.

notwal

Postby notwal » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:31 am

singlespeedscott wrote:Just as a matter of interest, what combination of front chainring and rear cassette cog are you guys using to do your climbs with?
34/19, 21, 23, 25 Unlike any women I know the 25 is a bit too easy for a good time.
judged, insulted, gone

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:31 am

Did up and down the back twice this morning. Not as many people out as I expected, maybe I was a bit late or everybody went yesterday.

I don't have a stop watch so I check the time as I go across the yellow start and finish lines marked on the road.

On the first one I was going really well (for me) and I thought I got 11:28, but when my brain got a bit more oxygen on the way back down it started to suspect I'd miscalculated and it was actually 11:38. I think (?) the second one is correct but I'm not sure cos I can't remember if I finished at 07:23:36 or 07:23:26... I did have a couple of minute water break before the first one though so does that count.

Took it easy on purpose the second time and it was like 13:30 or something. Its amazing how easy it is when you back off 10%. First time up I was sucking as much air as possible. Second time around it was like mild-moderate excercise.

Found a guy at the top who'd almost collapsed. It was the first time he'd done it and had had gone too hard at the start, must of had a pretty good time though based on his speed. First time up, a guy came up behind, and had gotten a 10:04 (doh!).

Am totally stuffed now, and only did 50km :(

Edit: no wonder I'm stuffed. 1178m of climbing, allegedly...

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:10 pm

Didn't go to the mountain today... went to Glorious instead. 1959m of climbing for me. Up there... when the climb drops to 5% you think it's flat. :shock: :shock:

My gearing BTW is a 39 with a 28. I had a compact at the front (34) and I ditched it - but it was better for climbing. For reference, a 39 with a 25 at the back means you really need to do like sub 12 minutes for it to be comfortable and ideally a solid 10. IMHO unless you are quite a good climber compacts are the go for Cootha.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:56 pm

Inwood wrote: it was actually 11:38
great work. am definitely not catching you now. your weight advantage is finally helping. surprised you didn't overheat - it was definitely nicer yesterday.

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:38 pm

Comedian wrote:Didn't go to the mountain today... went to Glorious instead. 1959m of climbing for me. Up there... when the climb drops to 5% you think it's flat. :shock: :shock:
haha, I assume you went from Samford then. Fun times! I'll bet you were wishing you'd kept your compact after the main climb there.

Been a few weeks since I've hit coot-tha, might have to do some laps sometime this week.

njosey17

Postby njosey17 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:28 pm

Climbed the back of Coot-tha this evening - first time, and jeez didn't it hurt!

Not really sure whether to be happy with the time or not - 11:33... Is that good guys?

I have lost around 9kg over the last few months, but still had to fight the urge to chuck my bidon, phone and keys away just to lighten the load a little. In future I think I may have to leave work 10-15 mins earlier if I want to do a lap - it was getting a bit dark starting the descent... Unless I invest in a decent set of lights anyways. Mine was a little small when coming down at 55-60km/h...

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:20 pm

njosey17 wrote:Climbed the back of Coot-tha this evening - first time, and jeez didn't it hurt!

Not really sure whether to be happy with the time or not - 11:33... Is that good guys?

I have lost around 9kg over the last few months, but still had to fight the urge to chuck my bidon, phone and keys away just to lighten the load a little. In future I think I may have to leave work 10-15 mins earlier if I want to do a lap - it was getting a bit dark starting the descent... Unless I invest in a decent set of lights anyways. Mine was a little small when coming down at 55-60km/h...
Wow... an 11:33 for the first attempt is super good. Well done!

Yep, if you're going to hit the mountain in the dark you really need very very good lights. "normal" commuter lights just don't cut it at the speeds that you can get to. Having said that I've seen people I know go over there with knog lights and they seem to feel the road.. amazing.

njosey17

Postby njosey17 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:29 pm

Thanks Comedian!

I wasn't planning to go up that side - turned right early on, up Stuartholme road following a couple of blokes. Unfortunately, they were headed home rather than up Coot-tha!

Was a good ride though - wasn't feeling too bad by the time I got home, so I reckon next time I will head up early in the morn and see if I can get more than one lap in. Don't know how I am going to go carrying more than one bottle though... :shock:

Guess I can see why carbon is the go - my 1.2 felt like a brick. The old girl crawled her way up there though. :D

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:40 am

Not too many peeps out there this morning. :o

I only got one pass because of differing wishes in the group. Shame... I was going OK. :(