Looking at a Saris Solo Bike Rack

ICU812

Looking at a Saris Solo Bike Rack

Postby ICU812 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:12 pm

We have a new Subaru Outback and it came without the tow hitch. This is making carrying a bike a bit more interesting. Tow hitches are priced rather highly and since we wouldn't use it for anything else except the bike, we feel the price is not justified.
Been having a look around and found a carrier Saris solo bike rack. Has anyone used one of these?
I have a feeling that there may be some hesitation if it is likely to mark or scratch the car.
Any thoughts or ideas on this one?

Many thanks Sam

This is the link:

http://www.this link is broken/Saris-Solo- ... gory=12669" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ozkaban

Re: Looking at a Saris Solo Bike Rack

Postby Ozkaban » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:18 pm

Excellent little rack. Easy to fit and remove. Straps hold bike securely.

But... The supports are very close together. On my bike one support was near the seat tube and the other was about half way along the head tube. Wasn't confident that it was supporting the carbon frame safely enough.

Your mileage may vary though. No qualms about using it for an alloy framed bike.

ICU812

Re: Looking at a Saris Solo Bike Rack

Postby ICU812 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:11 pm

Ozkaban wrote:Excellent little rack. Easy to fit and remove. Straps hold bike securely.

But... The supports are very close together. On my bike one support was near the seat tube and the other was about half way along the head tube. Wasn't confident that it was supporting the carbon frame safely enough.

Your mileage may vary though. No qualms about using it for an alloy framed bike.

Thanks for your thoughts. I have an 7005 alloy/carbon forks. It is also very small, being a 47" XS frame. I managed to use a Thulle tow ball rack on the other car quite well. The bike was fitted on it one part being the top tubing and then I would have gently pull it through on the back where the tubing forks into 2 at the back wheel. It seemed ok and we used elastic hook straps to immobilise the wheels.
But now we can't use it because we don't have a tow hitch. But I appreciate your thoughts and it seems inexpensive enough too. I'm the only one who would use it in our family, so a single one would suffice.