Supernova M99 Pure for Bosch Performance Line eBike

Inspectorgadget

Supernova M99 Pure for Bosch Performance Line eBike

Postby Inspectorgadget » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:15 pm

This is a ridiculously expensive bit of kit but then electric MTB are ridiculously expensive already it seems to me.

I am a member of the candlepower forum also so I might as some questions there also.

I use my Led Lenser H14R.2 headlamp every day just about for a number of things including walks and now bicycling at night. For bicycling the 400Lumen headlamp which can be focussed is ideal...except I can't really wear a helmet with it. For the time being it is on tracks, my chances of being caught are zero.

It has demonstrated to me though that I want a nice powerful light, certainly 500 Lumens is more than ample and I would like something integrated into the the Bosch Intuiva controller like the M99, it seems perfect except with wiring harness, fitting and the E3 taillight I could be looking at $800.

My fall back for the moment is I have ordered a $20 bracket for the headlamp for the handlebars. This may well work, I haven't got it yet but any thoughts on this would be appreciated. The powerpack for this is 3 x 18650 batteries so it will give a solid six hours light at 400 Lumens and a lot more on a lower setting.

It would be nice, very nice though to have powerful and compact light designed for the system and built-in except for the cost...:)

Cheers,
Grant

Ross

Re: Supernova M99 Pure for Bosch Performance Line eBike

Postby Ross » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:38 am

400 lumens doesn't seem very much for MTB. I would of thought at least double that would be required.

Maybe you should consider a regular handlebar (or hemet) mounted light that has it's own battery, rather than all the expense and hassle of trying intergrate your existing light. There are heaps to choose from, have a look here for a guide - http://road.cc/category/review-section/ ... ghts-front

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:54 am

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AjDz4haJjup3hMhMI8eqWAifSHsP6w

This is the Led Lenser H14R.2 Healdamp in the $20 holder I purchased. I have to say it is an ingenious design.

The limit to lumens normally is heat dissapation of heat which is why this headlamp can do 1000 Lumens but for only one minute. The normal high mode is 360 or 400 Lumens I think, the low is 60 Lumens and it has a rear light which can be turned on or off or flashing.

I have tried it yet but it has plenty of power with 3 x 18650 rechargeables in a pack.

The Lens focusses but is circular in the beam for general purpose use, one downside. I also have to put it back in the head band for other uses although they have made it dead simple to clip and unclip and the mounting bracket is well designed.

Road test maybe tonight.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:42 pm

Supernova are the Rolls Royce but deliver the quality. However there are other options. I woukd look at B & M, another German brand with a wider product range and a bit more affordable.

400 lumens is ok, but more with a good beam is nicer for offroad. For on road, I would be fairly confident with the M99.
Cycling is in my BNA

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:13 pm

I am not going to go on rough tracks at night or unlikely unless I run out of daylight through bad planning.

Also doubling lumens doesn’t double brightness. The design of the lens determines through and spread and something like an M99 does a superb job due to the clever use of multiple LEDs and well designed complex reflectors because the best beam shape for a bike is quite different to a torch.

I will have a look at the lights mentioned but the M99 also fits below/with the Intuiva mount.

It will see how I go tonight with the Led Lenser.

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:17 am

I did a 25k ride around Lake Joondalup last night. The Lenser worked really very well. A round beam isn’t ideal on very windy parts which is a more trapezoid beam shape would be better with a wider beam at the bottom than top. It isn’t perfect but as on a motorbike they also go for nonspherical wider beams.

I may get the Supernova Pure or Pur Mini which has just come out. I will be using this though for at least a few weeks more.