Can you replace a Schrader tube with a Presta tube?

thecaptn

Can you replace a Schrader tube with a Presta tube?

Postby thecaptn » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:35 pm

Hi People,
can anyone please tell me if there's a problem with puting a Presta valve through hole cut for a Schrader valve in a rim?
Pete

pawnii

Re: Can you replace a Schrader tube with a Presta tube?

Postby pawnii » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:36 pm

No problem at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
yes, I'm an overweight weight weenie
2012 Scott Foil Premium

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:38 pm

Greater potential for blowing the valve out of the tube, as the narrower shaft doesn't sit snugly in the hole. Something to be particularly wary of if using a hand-pump, 'cos it will wobble the valve around a lot more and chafe on the rim.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:40 pm

Any idea if there's a plastic sleave availably to pack out the dead space around the stem?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:44 pm

Quite probably. I know some rims do come with them.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:58 pm

Yes I'm sure I've seen them in rims on entry level bikes. I'll look about for some. I've an idea of what else I can do in the meantime. Thanks guys

su-pista

Postby su-pista » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:01 pm

What you need is a threaded valve and a stepped valve nut. The indentation will seat in the rim. Should be able to find these at your lbs, just ask at the workshop if there is any about.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:38 pm

Something similar to this.

http://www.amazon.com/Schrader-Presta-R ... B000XNZU1S" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My velo uses presta valve but the hole in the rim is Schrader size. From the factory they have used cloth rim tape with a presta size hole. Has worked OK so far.

John

LG

Postby LG » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:00 pm

Well my dodgy low tech addition is to cut a 1" square of a knackered inner tube, poke a hole in the middle, feed the presta stem through the hole and use this as protection against the larger schrader hole chafing the tube.
LG = Low Gear

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:23 pm

Conti tubes come with the stepped nut, been using them in Schraeder rims since I built me Wanga hardtail.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:44 pm

LG wrote:Well my dodgy low tech addition is to cut a 1" square of a knackered inner tube, poke a hole in the middle, feed the presta stem through the hole and use this as protection against the larger schrader hole chafing the tube.
This was my plan too, dead inner tubes are an undervalued resource.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:47 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Conti tubes come with the stepped nut, been using them in Schraeder rims since I built me Wanga hardtail.
These are the tubes I'm ordering, they're only about $5 or so for a 29er tube from Wiggle at the moment :D

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:51 pm

You could use a suitably-sized flat washer but I would never rely on a bit of old tube. Best idea is to get the valve-hole insert.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:54 pm

John Lewis wrote:Something similar to this.

http://www.amazon.com/Schrader-Presta-R ... B000XNZU1S" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My velo uses presta valve but the hole in the rim is Schrader size. From the factory they have used cloth rim tape with a presta size hole. Has worked OK so far.

John
I'm thinking that I could rustle up a gromit this size maybe in my spares tardis tomorrow, thanks for the idea.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:10 am

thecaptn wrote:I'm thinking that I could rustle up a gromit this size maybe in my spares tardis tomorrow, thanks for the idea.
Go down to your local Repco or other car spares place, one of the smaller sizes in the range of rubber cable gromits that they sell in packs will do the job.
Depending on the make they stock you may have to drill/ream out the inner hole a little to get an easy fit over the Presta stem.
Bunnings or other mega hardware stores sometimes have them as well.
Cheers
Richard

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:39 am

Some tubes come already complete with an adaptor valve-stem locknut.

Otherwise, for the complete solution, you can buy the adaptor sleeve. Presta-schraeder stem-saver. BTW this adaptor really should be fitted from the inside of the rim, with the flange acting to stop the tube pushing out.

Mandatory helmet law?

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:58 am

su-pista wrote:What you need is a threaded valve and a stepped valve nut. The indentation will seat in the rim. Should be able to find these at your lbs, just ask at the workshop if there is any about.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
WOW I never knew that was the purpose of these things... I'm throwing the little things away right now, I don't need a "combo" valve adaptor LOL

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:31 pm

il padrone wrote:Some tubes come already complete with an adaptor valve-stem locknut.

Otherwise, for the complete solution, you can buy the adaptor sleeve. Presta-schraeder stem-saver. BTW this adaptor really should be fitted from the inside of the rim, with the flange acting to stop the tube pushing out.

Hi Padre,
Can you tell me what holds these sleeves in? I imagine a drop of superglue would do the trick. I'll be near a Clarke Rubber on the weekend and will see if they have suitable grommets. The specific ones for sale on the interweb are stupidly priced, The cheapest I found were US $ 0.75 each and $28 delivery :roll: No wonder the Yanks are broke, idiots.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:35 pm

The stem-savers sit on your valve stem and snug into the rim hole. This is pretty much enough to keep them in place, but then the flange (which should be on the inside) is held there by the pressure in your tube. I don't use any, but I believe they tend to stay in the rim when you take the valve stem out.

Avoid buying from the US. They think 'overseas' is Canada :roll: . Generally much cheaper to buy from UK (great post service) or Germany (slow post but lower prices and great range).
Mandatory helmet law?

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:22 pm

il padrone wrote:The stem-savers sit on your valve stem and snug into the rim hole. This is pretty much enough to keep them in place, but then the flange (which should be on the inside) is held there by the pressure in your tube. I don't use any, but I believe they tend to stay in the rim when you take the valve stem out.

Avoid buying from the US. They think 'overseas' is Canada :roll: . Generally much cheaper to buy from UK (great post service) or Germany (slow post but lower prices and great range).
Cool, thanks for the tip.
Pete