Have raft... will cycle .. bikerafting

cancan64

Have raft... will cycle .. bikerafting

Postby cancan64 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:11 pm

Have been looking at doing a bikepacking ride on some tracks around Lake Taupo but you have to take a water taxi between two tracks so decided its time to get a packraft and broaden my horizons.
Purchased 2 rafts, an Alpacka Caribou for me but this took a few months to get made and delivered so purchased a Kokopelli rogue lite for the interim which my partner will use for non bike trips.
Hardest part was getting everything on the bike, the raft rolls to nothing but paddle and pfd proved a bit more challenging but got there

All the raft bits on the front roll

Bike loaded onto raft

On the water... wasnt that impressed with the raft with drop bars... and on salt water

testing the Alpacka ... short ride on the fixie then raft down the river and a short paddle down the harbour.. packed up and rode home

“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Tim

Re: Have raft... will cycle .. bikerafting

Postby Tim » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:19 pm

Man, that looks like fun!
The bike touring horizon is expanding.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:00 pm

Is paddling the pack raft affected much by the wind Calvin?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:28 am

RonK wrote:Is paddling the pack raft affected much by the wind Calvin?
Yes... and the tide... was hard going in the harbour on a turning tide into the wind ..
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

kan537

Postby kan537 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:08 pm

Hi Calvin, I stumbled upon this thread because I am looking at both the Rogue-lite and the Caribou for Road Bike-rafting. Which raft did you prefer and why? Cheers.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:42 pm

kan537 wrote:Hi Calvin, I stumbled upon this thread because I am looking at both the Rogue-lite and the Caribou for Road Bike-rafting. Which raft did you prefer and why? Cheers.
Sorry have been away.
Preference is the Caribou... I find it is a bit broader at the front and higher that there is better ckearance for the bike.. moreso with drop bars but I havent tried both rafts with the same bike yet. Was supposed to have spent last 2 daya down in Taupo but didnt happen

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:29 am

It was a bit quiet at work and the sun was shining so took Wednesday off and shot down to Lake Taupo for a quick trip. Morning started at Kinloch with 10km of single tracks to Kawakawa Bay. We then inflated the rafts and had an 11km raft to Kotukutuku stream where we reassembled everything and cycled the Great lake trail. 30km of single tracks with amazing views. Would still be there if we stopped for all the photo opportunities. First part was heaps of switch backs as we climbed beside a waterfall and then rode the cliff top to Waihaha where we joined the road and had a quicker 38km ride back to Kinloch. All up a great day out If not a big one when you add the 7 hrs of driving as well.