Black Tout Terrain Tanami (touring bike) stolen from Hawthorn, Melb.

Forum rules
Before posting, please read the guidelines first.
Radfahrer

Black Tout Terrain Tanami (touring bike) stolen from Hawthorn, Melb.

Postby Radfahrer » Sun May 05, 2019 11:05 am

My Tout Terrain Tanami was stolen late on 3/05/19 from our backyard. It is black, has Rohloff gears, and was very special to me after buying it in Amsterdam last July and cycling Europe with it. It would be a very rare bike in Aus. Please- if anyone sees it, let me or the police know, Thanks.

Mike Ayling

Re: Black Tout Terrain Tanami (touring bike) stolen from Hawthorn, Melb.

Postby Mike Ayling » Tue May 07, 2019 9:21 am

Radfahrer wrote:My Tout Terrain Tanami was stolen late on 3/05/19 from our backyard. It is black, has Rohloff gears, and was very special to me after buying it in Amsterdam last July and cycling Europe with it. It would be a very rare bike in Aus. Please- if anyone sees it, let me or the police know, Thanks.
I haven't had a bike stolen since I was a kid but I remember that sinking feeling well.
As well as monitoring Gumtree/Ebay for the entire bike check the ads for Rohloff hubs.
I read that in London crims are cutting the hubs out of parked bikes.

Mike
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

Radfahrer

Postby Radfahrer » Tue May 07, 2019 11:19 pm

Thanks Mike- yep it's really devastating. I'll keep watching Gumtree etc...

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Wed May 08, 2019 9:46 pm

"I read that in London crims are cutting the hubs out of parked bikes.
Mike"

Yep moved to Melbourne from Sheffield UK 5 years ago and around the University / Hospital area thieves would cut thru expensive mtb frames as easier than busting the lock just to get the components to sell

That is a rare bike in these parts hope you get lucky and the thief is a dumb one

Radfahrer

Postby Radfahrer » Sun May 19, 2019 7:12 pm

I got lucky!!! Someone dumped the bike and a fantastic person noticed it leaning on their front fence. They googled it, realised it was valuable and took it to the local police station. Unbelievable. Very happy :D

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Mon May 20, 2019 8:05 am

Radfahrer wrote:I got lucky!!! Someone dumped the bike and a fantastic person noticed it leaning on their front fence. They googled it, realised it was valuable and took it to the local police station. Unbelievable. Very happy :D
You are one lucky dude!
I got all paranoid after this (and since we are about to ride through Greece and up through the Balkans) and have painted my Rohloff and SON front hub with matt black peel off plastic paint (well it's supposed to peel off) so they look like crap.

Radfahrer

Postby Radfahrer » Mon May 20, 2019 8:45 am

Good idea. I’m also going to get some of those GPS tags and superglue them onto the bike somewhere... under the saddle perhaps? Maybe you could try glueing one on your hub??