Hannah Dines on Saddle pain (The Guardian)

Thoglette

Hannah Dines on Saddle pain (The Guardian)

Postby Thoglette » Wed May 08, 2019 11:43 am

‘I had a huge swelling’: why my life as a female cyclist led to vulva surgery

Her main point (and the point of me posting this) is that there's no-one talking about this and even less research.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hannah Dines on Saddle pain (The Guardian)

Postby AUbicycles » Thu May 09, 2019 6:48 am

I agree that getting information on this difficult however it is not a new topic. Admittedly it has been slightly more male oriented (perineum relief) although traditional saddles also tended to have a wider fit - and also more naturally accommodating to women.

However genuine scientific testing for men and women has been lacking and only in the last 30 years has the momentum increased and saddle design has changed a fair bit... With the higher percentage of male sports cycling, this has been stronger although progress for women's saddles is now also making strides.

In 2014 I discussed women's saddles with Dr. Minkow who was working on the Specialized Body Geometry Fit and conducting medical and scientific testing for women's saddles to determine the optimal saddle design. That said, a lot of saddle brands struggled and haven't even had women's sports saddles so this limits the availability and general knowledge.

For the author of the Guardian article, Hannah Dines, it was only on second-look that I recognised she was on a trike (this was a bit more popular in the UK) and was competing as a para-cyclist. My initial thoughts when I saw the photo of her riding position was that it appeared cramped however it is not described in the caption when the photo was taken nor whether the position was influenced by a bike fit or other body fit limitations.

The concern here is that with bike fitting and physio - Dines should have been able to get access to resources and info that would have likely significantly improved here saddle comfort.

For readers who also have concerns, saddle comfort can be a trial and error process. Specialized and Ergon are two brands (among others) who specifically developed women's saddles based on scientific and ergonomic research. I recommend working with a professional bike fitter and some saddle brands and bike fitters can provide convenient options to test different saddles. In this case, it is not the fellow at the bike shop with a fancy device and a bunch of numbers... rather an independent bike fitter. A good starting point is to ask for referrals as it tends to be reputation based.

For short term confort, chamois cream can help reduce chaffing, reduce pain and increase hygiene. There are a multitude of chamois creams however and I suggest starting with chamois creams that have natural ingredients. Menthol is not a good idea for obvious reasons. Cycling knicks need to be kept clean (washed after every ride) and another temporary solution if you have to ride is to wear two pairs of knicks while riding to increase your padding. Extra padding is not specifically or necessarily more comfortable but in the case you are suffering, it can provide some relief.

Above all, seek advice from professionals sooner rather than later, especially medical professionals. Talk with trusted friends who may be able to share advice or connect you to professionals who can help.
Cycling is in my BNA

ValleyForge

Re: Hannah Dines on Saddle pain (The Guardian)

Postby ValleyForge » Thu May 23, 2019 4:25 pm

It's a great article. The UK NHS is more compartmentalized that in AU, hence she bounced around a bit. What she suffered is actually was really quite common in para/quadraplegics until RoHo cushions came along. It's still seen, but I can imagine how difficult it would be to go and see someone about it.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.