Just moved to Everton Park

Lance

Just moved to Everton Park

Postby Lance » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:28 pm

Anyone got any suggestions for LBS around that area? (Or ones to stay away from)

Other end of my commute is the Valley. Haven't started riding to work yet, only just moved and need to get a little bit done on my bike before I try it. (And clock some kms to get used to the bike again.) Haven't cycled for a commute (or otherwise...) in years but keen to get back into it.
"I've decided the worst thing about riding to work is that I have to stop riding and work." - thepj 18/09/08

RobertL

Re: Just moved to Everton Park

Postby RobertL » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:36 pm

There's a 99 bikes at Everton Park, and one in the Valley. I also know of Avanti bikes in the Valley, and there's a Trek bike shop on Samford Road at Mitchelton (near the high school) but I don't know its name.

(I mention the Valley because you said that's at the other end of your commute.)

I have no personal knowledge of these shops.

I have had experience with Tom Wallace Cycles, the Giant shop at Lutwyche and I would definitely recommend them and their mechanics.

elantra

Postby elantra » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:31 pm

Good luck for your intended cycle commuting - it requires quite a lot of dedication and resolve etc.
The good news is that the KBB (Kedron Brook Bikeway) goes past the city end of Everton Park and is debatably one of Brisbanes better bike routes ( especially if it goes where you need to go ! )

Anyway as already posted there is a 99Bikes shop at Everton Park
There used to be a Bike shop in Everton Park called Ridgeway Cycles which was established in 1919 - but unfortunately it is gone now
Tom Wallace Cycles at Lutwyche is an iconic bike store which i think has been there since before WW2 and is still going strong. It is one of those stores that are fairly easy to stroll into and have a casual browse at your own pace etc. I have bought a few things there over the years and never been disappointed
Also nearbye (probably closer to where you reside) is a new shop called Cycle Culture (210 Days Rd) and MyBike Shop (643 Samford Rd)
Prob a good idea to have a quick look at their online info.
Cheers and good luck !

Bwana5_2009

Postby Bwana5_2009 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:40 pm

Pedalheads in Brendale is good and close-ish. I use Le Service Course in Petrie for all my maintenance and repairs - best I’ve found (ever). Might not be very “local” to you though...?

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:30 am

elantra wrote: Also nearbye (probably closer to where you reside) is a new shop called Cycle Culture (210 Days Rd)
LOL! I probably should have remembered Cycle Culture, given that they are associated with my club and I regularly ride with them. Anyway, they are a good little shop - but they are small and road-focused so they don't hold a lot of stock. They are associated with the Futuro racing teams.

Mitch is a great mechanic, though, and they have a great coffee shop (Tandem coffee) in the bike shop itself.

Lance

Postby Lance » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:55 am

Cycle Culture is only ten mins from my place; that and Avanti is a short walk from work!

Thanks all :D
"I've decided the worst thing about riding to work is that I have to stop riding and work." - thepj 18/09/08

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:29 pm

Yep Cycle Culture seems good but road/high end focused. The Tom Wallace guys are certainly good too and do the whole spread of bikes. They are a giant dealer.

Both of these shops are just off the lovely Kedron Brook so you'll probably be riding quite close by on your commute.

Mr Thylacine

Postby Mr Thylacine » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:26 pm

I've had more than a few people recommend Hoffy Cycles at Sandgate to me, the store has been there since 1928. They seem to have good reviews and word of mouth recommendations, so they must be doing something right.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:12 pm

Mr Thylacine wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:26 pm
I've had more than a few people recommend Hoffy Cycles at Sandgate to me, the store has been there since 1928. They seem to have good reviews and word of mouth recommendations, so they must be doing something right.
I personally know the bloke that owns Hoffy Cycles and he is a good bloke and very knowledgeable, so much so, he goes away with Aussie Teams for the Road Tours looking after the bikes. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:18 am

Mr Thylacine wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:26 pm
Yep good shop for sure. Quite a long way from Everton park though. Would be a long train journey, or proabaly a half hour drive.

There is another shop on Samford road I think called "My Bike Shop" at Mitchelton. No personal experience but I've not heard of anything bad.

https://www.mybikeshop.com.au/