Rear Geared Commuter Non-Internal Hub Options (eg Metrea)

Mobe1969

Rear Geared Commuter Non-Internal Hub Options (eg Metrea)

Postby Mobe1969 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:48 pm

Is anyone aware of any non internal hub rear geared commuter bikes availale here? I've been commuting for decades, and after a long time on front rear I moved to an alfine 11 back in 2011, and frankly am annoyed with it and the difficulty it is for parts and actually fixing stuff (like seals). They are honestly too complicated. I'm on my second hub - was cheaper to replace than get fixed...)

Anyhow I'm interested in simpler rear gear setups - or even single speed rear, multi speed front but that doesn't seen to exist anywhere.

I did find one bike overseas that seemed to fit the boll, nice and light, 11 rear, no front derailuer, Shimano Metrea gear. The Vitus Mach 3 VRX Metrea. No available here, and the 2019 model all sold out. Nothing here though, and not such others overseas. I like the weight on it too, and the simplicity of the drive train. 11 gears is more than sufficient for me.

Thoglette

Re: Rear Geared Commuter Non-Internal Hub Options (eg Metrea)

Postby Thoglette » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:08 pm

Dozens and dozens. Exhibit A: the Reid Cycles website has at least four.

Converting your existing bike to a 7 or 8 speed derailleur should be verging on the trivial as Sheldon reports that the cable pull is similar
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:39 pm

CyclingAbout has some good efficiency specs on 1x11 drivetrain efficiency if you are interested.

8 speed Alfine is more robust than 11speed it seems.
Price of replacement is also less than life of 1x11 mid range options.

Many ways to replace the cat, bicyclesonline have some cheap disc Nexus commuters if you want a new bike excuse.

Mobe1969

Postby Mobe1969 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:25 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:08 pm
Dozens and dozens. Exhibit A: the Reid Cycles website has at least four.

Converting your existing bike to a 7 or 8 speed derailleur should be verging on the trivial as Sheldon reports that the cable pull is similar
FYI, I am done with any internal hub.

Hmm, yes Reid do have a couple of low end steel frame ones. Maybe I should have been more specific, other than mentioning nice and light. So something with a good alloy frame, disc brakes.

But yeah I guess I could get standard and replace the front chainring and rip off the front derailuer and shifter. Hmm.

That light Vitus looked pretty good though. Nevers heard of the Shimano Matrea before. But I've been wanting something like that for a while

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:31 pm

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:03 pm

Mobe1969 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:25 pm
Got that, what Sheldon suggests is that your existing shifter hauls the right amount of cable for a conventional 8sp Shimano setup. So no change in the cockpit - just a wheel and derailleur.

Does that make sense?

(but don't let me stop you buying a new bike :shock: :mrgreen: )

Mobe1969

Postby Mobe1969 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:20 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:03 pm
Mobe1969 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:25 pm
Got that, what Sheldon suggests is that your existing shifter hauls the right amount of cable for a conventional 8sp Shimano setup. So no change in the cockpit - just a wheel and derailleur.

Does that make sense?

(but don't let me stop you buying a new bike :shock: :mrgreen: )
Unfortunately I'm on an alfine 11 so a drop frame no mount points for derailuer or discs. I'm not even sure how I'd put brakes on it that weren't part of the rear wheel adjustment mess. I'm not willing to go rim brakes ever again.
eldavo wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:31 pm
Www.giyf.com
:D
Oh you are so wise. Golf clap. I never thought of using Google. Which I guess is why I have started so many threads and posts here with me asking dumb questions in the 9 years I've been a member, because this is the first port of call when I'm trying to figure something out.

I've spent all my spare time for days looking. I humbly apologize for giving up and daring to post here. I am glad that I gave you a cause for either existence in an outrage/troll culture, or some form of humor from laughing at the expense of myself.

If you actually are aware of any good commuter bikes with a 1x11 non hub setup available here, please share. Or any bikes available here with the thread title Medea groupset. Otherwise...

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:45 pm

I'm more curious now what chain oil should you use :D

Re: blah blah troll blah blah humour blah bah
Did you check out Cycling About? It struck me odd that you asked for a particular drivetrain while ruling out the equivalent of India in the category population you're seeking. It sound like you're prejudiced from a single data anecdote in a world of data that for spending days of research you may not see the wood from the trees... but we're all human and not made to handle this complex world, so don't take it to heart if asked "are you really, really sure?"

IG cable pull. Alfine is not linear.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet- ... -pull.html

RD cable pull
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/drivetrain-mixing.shtml

Mobe1969

Postby Mobe1969 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:11 am

eldavo wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:45 pm
I'm more curious now what chain oil should you use :D

Re: blah blah troll blah blah humour blah bah
Did you check out Cycling About? It struck me odd that you asked for a particular drivetrain while ruling out the equivalent of India in the category population you're seeking. It sound like you're prejudiced from a single data anecdote in a world of data that for spending days of research you may not see the wood from the trees... but we're all human and not made to handle this complex world, so don't take it to heart if asked "are you really, really sure?"

IG cable pull. Alfine is not linear.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet- ... -pull.html

RD cable pull
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/drivetrain-mixing.shtml
Thank you once again for your helpful insights. It took real insight into determining that my query on a bikevwith a gear train setup actually is related to gear pulling.

???

This seems like a really great place.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:05 am

I think you are getting annoyed because most bikes are fitted with derailleur gears and internal hubs are hard to find. Sure, it seems that your specific search isn’t working, but there are plenty of mountain, gravel and cyclocross bikes that use 1x11. I guess it’s not really a thing for commuter bikes yet, which is your problem. Maybe don’t look for metrea and focus on 1x11. I can imagine that most commuter bikes with derailleur gears have a front derailleur because the market is skewed to having the biggest range of gears possible, rather than the simplest drivetrain - not that a derailleur setup isn’t simple.

Failing that, buying a suitable bike and dropping the front derailleur isn’t that difficult, but it will increase the cost.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:31 am

Re: cable pull Thoglette suggested using your cockpit, changing wheel. Check the Alfine 11 pull chart to intended RD pull chart.

Re: helpfulness, best to visit your LBS during opening hours. Rose Bikes online in Germany has had in-house Metrea equipped bikes, but I'm worried if I told you I found it via Google, you may be triggered. Call it friendly advice.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:11 pm

Mobe1969 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:20 pm
Unfortunately I'm on an alfine 11 so a drop frame no mount points for derailuer or discs. I'm not even sure how I'd put brakes on it that weren't part of the rear wheel adjustment mess. I'm not willing to go rim brakes ever again.
All things are possible. Shimano make a whole range of derailleurs which don't need a frame mount (just an anti rotation screw) such as the Tourney

Similarly there's ways of mounting disks on frames which are not intended to have them. E.g. the A2Z Adaptor .

There's a whole pinterest page on adding discs to non disc bikes

Or you could use an alfine style rear drum with a free hub
Image (more info here )
(I've a hub at home with freewheel threads on both sides - and a matching drum/band brake for the LHS. Available new in Vietnam)

While this speculation is fun, it's now starting to sound like actual work. New bike time? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: