Help to decide between Retro or Hybrid

Backinthesaddle?

Help to decide between Retro or Hybrid

Postby Backinthesaddle? » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:45 pm

Hi,
I don't get to do much cycling and even less now that my beloved XDS Retro-style bike was destroyed. My first thought was to replace it with the newer version of the same since I found it so comfortable to ride. However, my husband has always bemoaned the fact that it was a 6 speed (the newer model has more) because it wasn't as good on hilly terrain - not that I'm inclined much towards that as I much prefer flat cruising. Due to neck and wrist issues, the upright style with the curved handlebars is the only thing that I can manage.

Anyway, getting to the point... I have identified 2 bikes that I am torn between and I'm hoping that I can get some opinions that may or may not sway me on the choice. The first is the XDS https://www.xdsbicycles.com.au/collecti ... pink-peach Love the look of it and the frame is the same as what I had. The other is the Apollo Shoreline Hybrid https://www.apollobikes.com/bikes/lifes ... 8701171875 Not as pretty but has the extra gearing - I can't find reviews about it. Unfortunately, I am unable to compare them directly in any shops as no-one local has both.

So, really it's down to retro-style with minimal gears or hybrid with more. I do want to get back out and do more cycling so I'm pretty keen to buy another bike. Any (helpful) comments appreciated.

10speedsemiracer

Re: Help to decide between Retro or Hybrid

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:30 am

Why not both Retro (style) and modern hybrid equipment...

The Kona Coco (as an example) has the 9sp Alivio gearing plus disc brakes plus the relaxed geometry. Kona make very nice bikes which I've always found to be very well finished and durable.

https://konaworld.com/coco.cfm

This is an example though, and similar bikes are available from Liv (Giant), Marin and others. The Apollo model you've listed has a suspension fork, which for street/sealed path riding does nothing other than add weight and sap rider effort. Having had a look through the rest of the Apollo range, there's not much else that would be suitable.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:04 am

Backinthesaddle? wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:45 pm
So, really it's down to retro-style with minimal gears or hybrid with more. I do want to get back out and do more cycling so I'm pretty keen to buy another bike. Any (helpful) comments appreciated.
Unless you're touring in the mountains, 9sp is more than enough. And the Alivio derailleur can apparently handle 34T, which should give you all the options you need for the sort of riding you're planning.

The Peach is likely to be lighter too. And has mudguards. (And it's more pleasing to my eye).

The only downside is the tyres as delivered are only 28mm - 38mm is much nicer. (But the stock tyres on both are likely to be awful. Spend another $80 and replace them with something decent like Panaracer Pasela)

As you've noted, getting a comfortable set up is the most important thing. I'd love to tempt you with a
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Backinthesaddle?

Postby Backinthesaddle? » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:46 pm

Thank you both so much for your replies. You've given me some valuable info to work on. Kona is way out of my price range but I'll check out the others. The XDS is much the prettier (and I know it is comfortable) but I am trying to be practical - I suspect that the gears are as much as I need but I don't have the budget to make a mistake.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:52 pm

If you're inclined to flat cruising, 8 gears is more than enough (excluding aftermarket "corncobs" which only timetrial riders us).

On the other hand I was going to tempt you with this. Waaay over your budget but worth seeing. And reading. (Unfortunately Velouria has moved on to talking about knitting and even that not so much)

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:06 am

Thoglette wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:52 pm
Unfortunately Velouria has moved on to talking about knitting and even that not so much
Off topic, but I second this. I really liked reading Lovely Bike.

Backinthesaddle?

Postby Backinthesaddle? » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:49 am

Oh wow!... That's gorgeous! And would be just what I want if it fitted properly. But I think you're right that it's way over budget. Does anyone sell Rivendell in Oz (SA really)?

Backinthesaddle?

Postby Backinthesaddle? » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:28 pm

To update... I placed an order for an XDS retro (the lavender one) yesterday. I really appreciate the info you've given me as it has helped clarify my thoughts without the sales speak from the retailers. So, thank you! I'm happy with the choice as it is within budget, I loved my previous XDS, and as it is hard in Adelaide to try out many of this style bike, with this mob I'm under no obligation to purchase this particular one if by some chance it's not right. I did love that Rivendell Clementine, though.

When I got my first step-through (well actually my second 'cos that's what I had as a kid) Reid and XDS seemed to be the only ones around and next to impossible to get here in Adelaide. I'm fully expecting that in a few years the manufacturers will see the market and start making bikes along the lines of the Clementine - full-on uprights but with the gears for all occasions. More of us oldish farts with neck and other issues who want to go cruising, not racing, are going to be looking for them.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:24 pm

Glad to hear you’ve picked one...that I liked too :-)
Backinthesaddle? wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:49 am
Does anyone sell Rivendell in Oz (SA really)?
No. And shipping ex-US is awful.