Route Advice: Melbourne to Wang

ThunderBuckets

Route Advice: Melbourne to Wang

Postby ThunderBuckets » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:30 pm

Hi all! New user here!

I'm located in Melbourne and want to ride up to Wangaratta to visit the missus.
I need some help finding a good route to take, since I haven't done any cycling this far from Melbourne, so I'm not sure of the safest routes to take. I've only got a road bike with clearance for 25mm tires, so ideally I'll be sticking to the roads.
I plan to take the trip over 2 days (1 night) sometime over the next couple months. Any recommendations or sharing your experiences would be really helpful!

Current thoughts:
I'm not keen on taking the M31 since it seems a little dangerous (and a little boring), so atm thinking of heading east to Warburton and then either north to Marysville or east to Woods point. Based on Google maps, a couple possible routes I'm thinking of taking:
Warburton -> Marysville -> Yarck -> Euroa -> Wang
Warburton -> Woods Point -> Mansfield -> Whitfield -> Wang
Can anybody comment on either of these routes, or suggest any good alternatives?

jules21

Re: Route Advice: Melbourne to Wang

Postby jules21 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:52 am

that would be a good route. I'd recommend taking the Lilydale-Warburton rail trail, if you go via Warby.

the better the route, the longer it will be though. overnight-ing is a good idea.

look out for the climb out of Mansfield towards Whitfield!

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:38 pm

Woods Point is problematic for a road bike on 25s. And it’s a very solid ride, in and out of there in either direction.

I’ve done Wang>Melb via Woods Point, but took 6 days:-
Wang>Whitfield>Mansfield>WoodsPoint>Marysville>Lilydale Station.

Have also done it the opposite way in a loop back via Jamieson>Eildon>Marysville>etc

Your only chance of doing it in two days IMHO is to go more directly north out of Melbourne then follow secondary roads along the old Hume Hwy route.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

cogs19

Postby cogs19 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:20 pm

Warburton -> Woods Point -> Mansfield -> Whitfield -> Wang
I've ridden these areas several times and would regard this is as a generally safe route.

Though as previously mentioned, sections of the road from Woods Point toward Mansfield are unsealed.

Not knowing your fitness I would think a fit and capable cyclist could do Warburton to Woods Point in a day, then Woods Point to Mansfield in a day and then Mansfield to Wang via Whitfield in a day.

fatandold1966

Postby fatandold1966 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:08 pm

Driven this route a number of times .. if your doing the road bike thing .. Lilydale Yea via Mt Slide Bonnie Doon Benalla Rd Swanpool Tatong (Pub is good) Greta South Moyhu then Wangaratta .. I wouldnt do Warby trail on 25mm tires .. Depending on which way you coming from Eltham St Adrews KInglake way is an alternative .. If youve done it let us know which way you went

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:35 am

fatandold1966 wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:08 pm
Driven this route a number of times .. if your doing the road bike thing .. Lilydale Yea via Mt Slide Bonnie Doon Benalla Rd Swanpool Tatong (Pub is good) Greta South Moyhu then Wangaratta .. I wouldnt do Warby trail on 25mm tires .. Depending on which way you coming from Eltham St Adrews KInglake way is an alternative .. If youve done it let us know which way you went
Many riders, including me, ride Warby Trail (at least some of it) on 25s to access Donna Buang or Lake Mountain/Marysville/Acheron Way road rides. Acheron Way is rougher in parts than the Warby Trail. The general condition of the Warby Trail has gradually improved over the last decade.

So it’s not ideal but it’s fine on 25s, though laden for light touring may be a different matter. Ideally I’d ride a stronger wheelset and 28s at around 70 psi if possible.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

stephentkc

Postby stephentkc » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:52 am

M31 is actually my usual route, find that it is pretty safe as I have a wide emergency lane all by myself. But I start from Craigeburn, avoiding all the busy factory traffic.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:37 pm

cyclotaur wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:35 am
fatandold1966 wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:08 pm
Many riders, including me, ride Warby Trail (at least some of it) on 25s to access Donna Buang or Lake Mountain/Marysville/Acheron Way road rides. Acheron Way is rougher in parts than the Warby Trail. The general condition of the Warby Trail has gradually improved over the last decade.

So it’s not ideal but it’s fine on 25s, though laden for light touring may be a different matter. Ideally I’d ride a stronger wheelset and 28s at around 70 psi if possible.
This F&O (1964 vintage) does it with no issues on 25's. The Don saddle is worse imo.