Wet weather gear

Lawrencejohn

Wet weather gear

Postby Lawrencejohn » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:59 pm

I’m embarking on a long African tour from Cairo to Capetown and would like to know of a good lightweight breathable jacket and pants available in Melbourne.

baabaa

Re: Wet weather gear

Postby baabaa » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:28 pm

Its is still very droughty in southern Africa so I hope you bring the rain but I see you are going from south the north. It still gets cold at night in central and southern Africa so you may not need so much of a wet but a wind and a wet coat from Egypt to past the Equator. Are you going east or west coast or down the middle?
The rain in Tanzania and Kenya and also in Zambia and Zim is kinda refreshing. Do you really need the close fit bike stuff is always the bike touring question. My thoughts only but you could just go a cheap plastic coat or poncho but I have used a Gore Power Trail GT AS jacket in South America as not just a riding coat but for off the bike as well. May not be something you can find in Melb but I would definitely bring it to Africa for cool mornings and nights. I also use wilderness equipment raindance overpants for the same, not light but very handy in the cool and great when riding becomes pushing on wet and washed out mud/dirt roads. I do so like the option to use suspenders when riding with these. I don't mind the bit extra weight of this stuff as sometime sleep is tough when it is freezing and both the coat and pants give that extra warmth when really needed.
Sounds like a great ride in a great continent and would be keen to know a rough idea of your route as I am looking at a bit of a loop around africa myself.

Lawrencejohn

Postby Lawrencejohn » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:18 pm

Thanks for the tips.
Land in Cairo at the end of the month and will purchase maps there and probably go east bank of the Nile.
No time limit so will sort Visa’s for Sudan and Ethiopia in Cairo then sus it out as I go.
Have travelled for many years abroad but looking forward to cycle touring as I have meet plenty of cycle tourers in different continents and I love the stories.
Cheers

maxknott

Postby maxknott » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:38 pm

i ended up getting splashdowns from ground effects in nz,dont know of any shops in melb that carry cycle specific pants. great pants very breathable and waterproof. best rainjacket i've had is elite from showerspass(us based)
both items are pricey but worth it for me with winter commuting in melb.
backpackinglight in little bourke street has some good light rain jackets. recently bought this 1
https://www.backpackinglight.com.au/mon ... -mens.html
great jacket and light and stretchy and waterproof

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:27 am

Waterproof breathable rain jackets lose their breathability and relevance in hot, humid climes. Best to just put up with the wet and hope it cools you down enough. Or else ensure you ride in the dry season.

Cheers, Sc