Moving bike bags

Angusmac

Moving bike bags

Postby Angusmac » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:16 pm

Hi all

I need some advice please

I am planning on flying into Christchurch then taking the Tranzalpine train across to Greymouth - then cycling down to Wanaka/ Queenstown and flying out of Queenstown

Any idea how I can get our bike bags (bags bike packed in for flying) from Christchurch to Queenstown ?

TIA !

Scintilla

Re: Moving bike bags

Postby Scintilla » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:22 am

When we did the same route we had Ground Effect Bodybags for the bikes and one of those cheap $2 shop stripey bags for three panniers each. We packed them with our gear. Folded Bodybag and the folded striped bag fitted in 2/3 of a front pannier, or we could have strapped then on the rear rack under our tent bag.

Otherwise you may be able to mail them on to accommodation in Queenstown if you have also booked to stay there.

Cheers, Sc

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:49 am

I'm a regular visitor to NZ and use a Ground Effect Tardis. It packs small enough to fit into a mailing satchel, which you can send Post Restante to the Queenstown post office.

https://www.nzpost.co.nz/personal/recei ... e-restante

https://www.groundeffect.co.nz/products ... t-bike-bag
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Angusmac

Postby Angusmac » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:45 am

Thank you !!!

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:07 pm

I use the Bodybag rather than the Tardis as my bike has racks, mudguards and dynohub lights. All of this would need to be removed to use the Tardis, as well as both wheels removed. Just for your info.

Cheers, Sc

Angusmac

Postby Angusmac » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:37 am

Scintilla wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:07 pm
I use the Bodybag rather than the Tardis as my bike has racks, mudguards and dynohub lights. All of this would need to be removed to use the Tardis, as well as both wheels removed. Just for your info.

Cheers, Sc
Many thanks !

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:14 pm

I also use the bodybag and post to last accommodation... otherwise use a bike box and put it in th bin at the airport and get another at the airport in NZ. depending on who you fly with but Air NBZ have boxes at the airport
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:26 pm

Angusmac wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:16 pm
Hi all

I need some advice please

I am planning on flying into Christchurch then taking the Tranzalpine train across to Greymouth - then cycling down to Wanaka/ Queenstown and flying out of Queenstown

Any idea how I can get our bike bags (bags bike packed in for flying) from Christchurch to Queenstown ?

TIA !
You know NZ will make you pay for a fortnights enforced quarantine assuming they let you land currently :?:
Just checking as I was talking to a relation who thought the proposed bubble was all go, only to find out it was currently only one way ie NZ to Aus and not Aus to NZ :!:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:16 pm

On top of what rifraf said you also need an exemption to leave Australia otherwise you cant board the plane, and the exemption will only come through at the last minute
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.