Gold Coast northward to... anything?

CalumStenner

Gold Coast northward to... anything?

Postby CalumStenner » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:46 am

Hi all,

I have been frequenting these forums for months, though this is my first post.

My name is Calum and in September 2019 I began riding my Surly DT from Penang, Malaysia to Scotland. Due to COVID, my route was interrupted and the trip is yet to be completed! *For those wondering, I managed to cycle 14,000km in total across all of S.E.A, Senegal, Mauritania, Western Sahara, Morocco, and from Albania to Monaco.
However... I am no longer hanging around twiddling my thumbs waiting for the opportunity to pick up where I left off. I am 25, craving adventure, and have a fire inside of me :x

I am going to begin cycling on January 16th-ish. I would like to head North/NW; southern states are too unpredictable and I can't stand to hear anymore shi*t about lockdowns or border closures. My general plan is to head toward Cape York, and when I get there I'll pick my next spot... as far away from the East-coast cities as possible; I'll be camping overnight most nights unless I find a Warmshowers, Workaway, or hospitable soul; I'll be carrying my own food and cooking supplies; I'm happy with distances up to 180-200km and equally as happy with hitch-hiking and bike in a ute-tray. I found a great resource at the link below:

https://www.cycletoursglobal.com/tour/o ... queensland

The above link displays a route that begins from Moree and zig-zags throughout Queensland via Rail Trails and Outback Roads - sounds great!

I have NO time-limits or fixed dates, NO end destinations or commitments. I've finished my studies, saved my money, and am searching for adventure - if a Farmer has work for me? I'll take it. If a Roadhouse needs a Barman? I'm pourin' schooners.

I would love any suggestions from those of you who have begun a cycle tour in the Gold Coast/Brisbane area heading North - where were your initial overnights? Do you have any friends that you would recommend stopping by and having a chat with? Any quiet spots you would suggest spending time at? Best roads to avoid & best to take?

Thank-you in advance,
Calum

brumby33

Re: Gold Coast northward to... anything?

Postby brumby33 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:02 pm

Wow Callum, you've got me wishing i was 25 again, seems like a lifetime ago.

Sounds like an awesome trip mate, hope it goes well for you and bike.

When you get closer to the cape, keep this old bit of advice in mind...Never Smile at a Crocodile :lol:

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

RonK

Re: Gold Coast northward to... anything?

Postby RonK » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:31 am

You may need to reconsider your itinerary. It's a La Nina year so Northern Australia is expecting a "wet” wet season. Already there is widespread flooding in the north and I’ve just read a report about road closures due to flooding in the Charleville/Cunamulla area.
It could be very risky to be caught out on a bicycle in the inland areas if there is a flood.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...