Degreasing chain

stevenaaus

Re: Degreasing chain

Postby stevenaaus » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:36 pm

Duck! wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:00 pm
Do none of the above. Go to your LBS & pick up a bottle of chain lube. Dribble the lube onto the chain while backpedalling, sufficient for a drop on each link. Run through the gears for 30 seconds or so to work it into the links where it needs to be, then thoroughly wipe off the excess.. That's all you ever need to do.
Kindof what i do, but i admit to using a soft water based degreaser and a mechanical cleaner whenever it gets too nasty.

Duck - i suppose you just leave the shimano chain grease *on* the chain when installing, without any extra lube initially ?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:58 pm

stevenaaus wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:36 pm

Duck - i suppose you just leave the shimano chain grease *on* the chain when installing, without any extra lube initially ?
Yes.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:07 pm

I've just recently switched to 10% teflon/90% paraffin wax mix applied hot to a clean chain. I run three chains in rotation. This is on a 2x10 drivetrain.

It runs nice and silent, and in dry conditions I'm getting 5-600km+ between treatments. Cleaning consists of dropping the chain into a kitchen sieve and dousing with boiling water, wiping down and hanging up to dry. The wax keeps the grit out. I use a dedicated $25 Target slow cooker to stay married 8)

In wet conditions, treatment life drops to 300-350km, or less if it's really nasty.

I've tried it on my MTB with 1x12 and a narrow-wide front chainring, but I suspect the tolerances on the chainring are too tight as the wax layer on the inside faces of the links seems to trigger chain grab after about 100km when conditions are wet and gritty. At that pint I need to top up with Squirt, which means I have to go through the full petrol -> citrus + water -> alcohol 3-stage degrease process you use with a new chain before re-waxing, instead of just boiling water.

Smoove seems to be getting rave reviews from the marathon MTB guys so I'll give that a go next for the dirty bikes.

marcogiampa23

Postby marcogiampa23 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:32 pm

Dugong wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:18 pm
Just started riding again after many years layoff. Just wondering how to degrease the chain, it's looking a bit tacky. I have a new hybrid and probably done about 1000kms without much TLC except oil and cleaning.
i use this stuff, its finish line degreaser
https://www.pushys.com.au/finish-line-c ... lsrc=aw.ds

i just get a rag and put not alot, about a 4cm circle once it soaks in, then i grip the rag around the chain and run the drivetrain, pushing the wet bit into the rollers ontop of the chain and the side aswell

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:12 pm

Duck! wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:00 pm
Do none of the above. Go to your LBS & pick up a bottle of chain lube. Dribble the lube onto the chain while backpedalling, sufficient for a drop on each link. Run through the gears for 30 seconds or so to work it into the links where it needs to be, then thoroughly wipe off the excess.. That's all you ever need to do.
I like this post from Duck...I have never ever removed a chain for cleaning, and done this all my life. It is what my dad ever told me to do.

That is not proof of anything as he was no mechanic, but no chain on our family of 4 bicycles ever had a chain problem.

And the oil was used motor oil change oil in a hand operated can oil pump. :) Later I graduated to mums singer sewing machine oil as it had a spout on the bottle.
These days I use a bottle of whatever I was sold in a bike shop to salve my conscience.
But it goes on with a trickle and then a rag is used to wipe clean, that's it.

If the theory is that our bikes of the day were simple things, it may be true. But mine was a you beaut Healing semi racer with 3 speed Sturmy Archer gears. Brand new it cost 42-00 Pound. My dad earned 19 pound a week in those days.... :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:14 pm

mums singer sewing machine oil
Ah memories... :D
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:34 am

I tried the CeramicSpeed UFO drip after cleaning off the chain:

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/11/ceramic ... r-cheaper/

I used the original version- couldn’t believe how silent everything ran yesterday. I applied it and left it overnight. Smoothest and most silent I’ve ever noticed the bike running. :o

It is strange stuff, runs out of the bottle like water and has a milk like colour. But it so far works beautifully.

Scott No Mates

Postby Scott No Mates » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:15 pm

outnabike wrote: Brand new it cost 42-00 Pound. My dad earned 19 pound a week in those days.... :)
Almost as expensive as an engagement ring back in the day. :D
I really should take up cycling!

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:41 am

He he,Who would pay 42 pound for an engagement ring... I paid 19 pound for that....
I was a 5th year apprentice married at 20 years of age. She still gots the ring i still gots the girl.....The bike went its owne way once the car xame into the picture. shame I never kept that bike.

It was the first bike too have a light that included a speedo. It had a cable that went to a gear on the front hub and just was spinning away like a motor car speedo. It was wonderful :) ...
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

malnar

Postby malnar » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:04 pm

Anyone tried coke or sports drink? Just used sports drink on my driveway and it degreased it well. It's the acid I believe. Any concerns for using on a chain?

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:34 pm

malnar wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:04 pm
Anyone tried coke or sports drink? Just used sports drink on my driveway and it degreased it well. It's the acid I believe. Any concerns for using on a chain?
Probably cheaper to buy degreaser :D I would think some of the (large amount of) sugar might be left inside the chain rollers ?

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:48 pm

Andy01 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:34 pm
malnar wrote:
Probably cheaper to buy degreaser :D I would think some of the (large amount of) sugar might be left inside the chain rollers ?
Is this how we get Fat Bikes ?
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:22 am

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:48 pm
Andy01 wrote:
malnar wrote:
:lol: :lol:

That made my day !!

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:56 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:48 pm
Andy01 wrote:
malnar wrote:

:lol: