Mawson trail

Bjbiker

Mawson trail

Postby Bjbiker » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:54 am

I'm hoping to do the Mawson trail next year ,was wondering how others have gone about getting to the start ,coming from Melbourne, am I better to drive ( where to leave the car problem ) fly to Adelaide ,or catch the train ,will probably use the shuttle bus for the the return to Adelaide from the tracks end.

Scintilla

Re: Mawson trail

Postby Scintilla » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:17 am

I am organising a group to do the Mawson next April. We will travel on the Overland from Melbourne. Return will be making use of the weekly bus service from Copley to Adelaide.

australiantourer

Postby australiantourer » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:18 pm

flying involves boxing up your bike, which is a total pain. The train is a delight. The bus trip back is great — I caught it at Parachilna township, which is/was? a surprisingly sophisticated foodie cafe/pub.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:05 pm

I rode the Mawson solo in 2015 South to North.

Took the Overland both ways - would have spent roughly the same in petrol, do the boring drive and then have the issue of where to leave the car in Adelaide whilst on the trail. I rode to my local Metro station from home so was simple process getting there and back.

Going North did set a strict deadline to meet the bus in Parachilna, but if you fall behind due to the conditions (mud and winds can make for slow going) you can cut off a loop or two of the meandering Mawson trail. Fortunately even though I had a bit of both was able to do the whole ride.