help choosing a recumbent bike

Nazar

help choosing a recumbent bike

Postby Nazar » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:02 pm

hi there, was an avid rider, had a muscle problem but recently went blind in one eye and had a seizure (so now my balance is pretty bad).

someone mentioned to me about recumbent trike (2 wheels front and one back) so super excited that i can get back to riding :D

REQUIREMENTS
good brakes - either drum or disk (hydraulic) - as must be low maintenance and have muscle wasting in my hands.
suspension (front and rear) - i want to be comfortable
26" rear would be good but not essential
foldable - make it small enough to transport as will use it for going places (not just rides) eg. like the ICE, back wheel folds over the front wheels.

PRICE - around $5,000

looked at the ICE (too expensive) and the azeb something, and then thought it would be much easier if i ask someone here :D Australia availability, Australia conditions, Australian Riders.

any help appreciated, the price is negotiable depending on reliability and quality.

zebee

Re: help choosing a recumbent bike

Postby zebee » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:38 pm

Greenspeed. Drum brakes, folding (with easy release wheels and easy seat removal), fast, very adjustable as to seat height and recline. Ian Sims was an aircraft engineer and it shows in the design and construction.

They now do a GT20 with rear suspension. I dunno they do the GT26 with that, but honestly having had an asymmetric recumbent it really is more pain than pleasure. The GT20 is fast enough believe me! All you get out of a big rear wheel is the need to carry 2 tubes.

http://greenspeed-trikes.com/GT20-RS.html is the American site, they haven't really been keeping greenspeed.com.au up to date. But you can contact them at the phone number on greenspeed.com.au

Getting a look at one will depend rather on where you are. What is your nearest capital city?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:17 pm

5k budget will not get your a FS trike... All of them are well above 5k, even 2nd hand ones. Unless the Aussie $$$ gets back to US parity again.

You may have to get as suggested above. Greenspeed 20 RS and get balloon tires to give you comfort on the front.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

skyblot

Postby skyblot » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:33 pm

Greenspeed. Probably the best value (new) trikes in OZ.
Drum brakes are pretty much maintenance free, most of their trikes fold (exceptions - Aero and Anura), they have a range of accessories that work.

GT20 as a light touring trike, 20" wheels allround, height and recline adjustable seat, sparkling handling. Light - for a trike. Or:
Magnum, a little bigger allround than the GT20, 3 x 20" wheels with balloon tyre (2") for a comfy ride. Run the tyres at a sensible (low) pressure and get most of the benefit of a suspension trike without the complication.

GT26 and Magnum BW are versions with a 26" rear wheel if you prefer the looks, I don't think there is any performance benefit and the 20" wheel versions have lower gearing for hill climbing.

And all the above fit in the $5k budget with change.

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:50 pm

Another Aussie made recumbent Company is Trisled. (Victoria based) http://trisled.com.au Contact Ben Goodall via the website. I have been a customer of theirs for 20years, I have no affiliation with the Company but I can not fault their trikes and aftermarket service.
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

zebee

Postby zebee » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:06 pm

Trisled don't do folders alas. Gizmo doesn't fold. I think if folding is a must have then Greenspeed GT20 or GT20 RS are your only choices.

IF you are within distance of Sydney then you can probably get a try on a lot of trikes by contacting https://recumbent.net.au who had a lot of test trikes when I was there last.

Nazar

Postby Nazar » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:24 pm

thankyou for all the fantastic suggestions :D i really appreciate it , i know 5K isn't much for a recumbent, trisled being aussie sounds great, regrettably if it can't be folded...
the plan is to take this out with the family, and if i get tired i have a ready made seat or have a sleep :D
regrettably i live in WA

it really sounds like the greenspeed 20inch is the way to go, will look into it and let you guys know , thanks a heap

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:58 am

In fact https://recumbent.net.au/ have a foldable trident Stowaway on special now for $3,100
https://recumbent.net.au/specials/
http://tridenttrikes.com/jouta-delta/products/stowaway/
For that price you could have a short holiday in Sydney (or Canberra, it isn't actually clear where their "store" is?) to inspect and try and still preserve some budget for "essential" accessories
People from Perth are always telling me about their great cycleway network, would be good for recumbent training i imagine

PS Seems to be Canberra ie Gilmore ACT
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

skyblot

Postby skyblot » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:08 pm

Nazar wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:24 pm
….regrettably i live in WA
No regrets! :)

There is a Greenspeed dealer in WA: Just Bents Cycles www.justbents.com.au Apparently he is in the process of redoing the website so don't be put off by the old dates... (I have no affiliation with Just Bents.)

There's also an active recumbent rider group in Perth on facebook if you use it. Search Perth Recumbent Riders.

hihosland

Postby hihosland » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:02 am

Sorry a bit late in finding this question
We have two greenspeed gt20s and could not be happier.
Aussie design, light, fast, easy to maintain, only suspension on ours is the Big Apple tyres and never needed more, fits your budget.
one of our rides at
www.davidsusan.com/sixpack.pdf

zebee

Postby zebee » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:08 pm

TYre choice makes a difference.

The Scorchers on my GT20 were puncture magnets. I replaced them with Marathon Plus which stopped the punctures but were slow and uncomfortable. On Continental Contact Speed now and they are fast and supple. Combined with the mesh seat it's not plush but it's not tooth rattling either.

Mebourne Phill

Postby Mebourne Phill » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:19 am

Hi Nazar,
I'm new to this forum.
I've just recently purchased a recumbent from a place near Hastings (Melbourne).
He has new and used trikes. He is an agent for two or three manufacturers.
He is great to chat to and can give you all the info you need.
My email is - harrisphillip13@gmail.com

Feel free to email me if you want all his details.

Cheers
Phill.