Shock Pumps

Arbuckle23

Shock Pumps

Postby Arbuckle23 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:14 pm

Been looking around at shock pumps.
Big variation in pricing, nearly as bad as road stuff :D
Looking for best value for money, the price varies from $35 (Cycling Deal) to over the $100 mark.
If I need to spend money to get one that is consistant and easy to use, so be it.
But if I don't need to spend big dollars that means money for other stuff.

Recommend away

Duck!
Expert

Re: Shock Pumps

Postby Duck! » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:04 pm

I use a Giant pump which has a funky head attachment that enables you to close off the valve before removing the pump from the shock, so you don't lose any air. :-)

My workshop pump is a Rock Shox digital one which I got as part of a service kit from a suspension tech course I did a few years ago. Not a bad pump, but the gauge only goes to 300 PSI before reading "error", which is annoying when some shocks need 350 (although that's during service rather than general use).
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:30 am

Thanks

I will look at them. I have some Giant tools and find them good quality.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:45 pm

Duck! wrote:I use a Giant pump which has a funky head attachment that enables you to close off the valve before removing the pump from the shock, so you don't lose any air. :-)
Can you give me the basics on which knob is which (black and silver I think)? I got one of these and it came with no useful instructions and I don't want to flatten my shock like an idiot :D
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:09 pm

I have the Cyclingdeal giyo one for $35. Has served me well for over 6 years.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:37 pm

Mububban wrote:
Duck! wrote:I use a Giant pump which has a funky head attachment that enables you to close off the valve before removing the pump from the shock, so you don't lose any air. :-)
Can you give me the basics on which knob is which (black and silver I think)? I got one of these and it came with no useful instructions and I don't want to flatten my shock like an idiot :D
The outer, silver knob is to connect the pump head to the valve stem, the smaller, darker knob opens and closes the valve core. To attach the pump to the shock, first wind the smaller knob out as far as it will go, then screw the pump head onto the valve. Wind the core knob down to open the valve. Reverse to remove the pump; unwind the core knob to close the valve first, then remove the pump.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:23 pm

I've got a Zero brand (I think), whatever AvantiPlus was selling, seems to work OK...I also just realised I have an Intense one as well that came with my bike, but have never taken out of the box, so no idea on that.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

dare007

Postby dare007 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:00 pm

The digital Rockshox/Fox pumps are great.

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:27 pm

I resurrected this thread rather than starting a new one since it is not too old.

I am looking to get my first bike (Giant Roam 1 - 63mm air shocks) with front air shocks. I weigh around 63kg, and do only light off-road - a mostly dry rocky creek bed.

Looking at shock pumps they seem to vary quite widely - 300psi, 600psi, analogue gauge vs digital and prices from around $40 up to around $160.

I have no idea how critical the accuracy of the exact pressure is - ie. is it worth paying the extra for a digital or is the (small) analogue gauge accurate enough ?

From Duck's comments above, I would assume that a 300psi gauge would be more than enough for a 63kg rider - is this correct ?

A few that caught my eye - any comments or recommendations would be most welcome.

https://www.bikebug.com/rockshox-high-p ... 73029.html - Rockshox 300psi analogue.
https://www.pushys.com.au/azur-velocity-shock-pump.html - Azur Velocity 300psi analogue.
https://www.pushys.com.au/zefal-z-shock ... black.html - Zefal 360psi analogue.
https://www.pushys.com.au/giant-control ... black.html - Giant 300psi digital (cheapest digital, but out of stock everywhere)
https://www.bikebug.com/rockshox-high-p ... 73026.html - Rockshox 300psi digital

Thanks

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:08 pm

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:48 pm

tallywhacker wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:08 pm
digital vs analogue
Thanks for the link - interesting read. Not really conclusive one way or another. I suppose a big factor with analogue might be the quality of the gauge - I have seen analogue gauges that were way out compared a proper calibrated process gauge, and also some of them have very poor scale printing/layout, so it makes it harder to actually read with reasonable accuracy.

I check my tyres (cars & bikes) with a proper metal process gauge (the (analogue) kind we used in oil refineries & gas plants - with an appropriate hose and schraeder fitting attached to it) and I have laughed sometimes when comparing it's readings to some dodgy servo tyre gauges, cheaper hand gauges and cheaper inflation devices for home compressors - some are up to 25% out.

Any recommendations for a reasonably priced pump ? Do they all have the 2 stage release system so you don't lose pressure when disconnecting ?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:41 pm

The Giant-branded pumps are the only ones I've seen with the two-step head, but there may be others.

For a fork you don't need a super high pressure capability; you're unlikely to need much more than 100psi, even for a short-travel, smallish spring chamber volume with a heavy rider.

The high pressures really only come into play with rear shocks, which have much smaller air chambers; the really high, 300+psi is only when you get into the servicing side of things.

For general use, absolute accuracy isn't super critical, as long as you have a consistent reference to work to. Fork (and where applicable, rear shock) setup is based around "sag", which is the compression of the fork (or shock) when the rider is on the bike. For a fork, this is typically 15-20% of the total travel (for 63mm, in round figures 9-13mm). So tweak the pressure to suit, and the pump says what it says. As long as you're using the same pump you'll have a consistent reference. For a short-travel, low-volume, a rough starting reference pressure is 60% of body weight expressed in pounds; multiply kg by 2.2 for conversion, and go for 60% of the result. Fine tune from there to get the sag right.

Most air forks have an O-ring around one of the upper tubes, specifically for setting sag. If there isn't one, wrap a cable tie around one of the tubes. On the bike in your riding position, push the O-ring or cable tie down against the dirt wiper. Gently step off the bike (so you don't over-squish the fork), and measure the gap between the top of the dirt wiper and bottom of setup ring. Adjust pressure as necessary.

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:49 am

Duck! wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:41 pm
The Giant-branded pumps are the only ones I've seen with the two-step head, but there may be others.

For a fork you don't need a super high pressure capability; you're unlikely to need much more than 100psi, even for a short-travel, smallish spring chamber volume with a heavy rider.

The high pressures really only come into play with rear shocks, which have much smaller air chambers; the really high, 300+psi is only when you get into the servicing side of things.

For general use, absolute accuracy isn't super critical, as long as you have a consistent reference to work to. Fork (and where applicable, rear shock) setup is based around "sag", which is the compression of the fork (or shock) when the rider is on the bike. For a fork, this is typically 15-20% of the total travel (for 63mm, in round figures 9-13mm). So tweak the pressure to suit, and the pump says what it says. As long as you're using the same pump you'll have a consistent reference. For a short-travel, low-volume, a rough starting reference pressure is 60% of body weight expressed in pounds; multiply kg by 2.2 for conversion, and go for 60% of the result. Fine tune from there to get the sag right.

Most air forks have an O-ring around one of the upper tubes, specifically for setting sag. If there isn't one, wrap a cable tie around one of the tubes. On the bike in your riding position, push the O-ring or cable tie down against the dirt wiper. Gently step off the bike (so you don't over-squish the fork), and measure the gap between the top of the dirt wiper and bottom of setup ring. Adjust pressure as necessary.
Duck

Thanks for the detailed reply - very useful.

Cheers

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:52 pm

A question - has anyone used a Venzo digital shock pump ?

https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/fork ... auge/GS-05

The cyclingdeal eBay listing (at the same price) shows the same pump with the little lever on the head to move the valve seal - the image shown in the link above looks like a screw-on head like the Rockshox pump.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/16469750484 ... gUmNq#rwid

The Rockshox pump;

https://www.bikebug.com/rockshox-high-p ... 73026.html

It looks to be identical to the Rockshox digital pump (that seems to get decent reviews) except that it has a different head that has a release lever that releases the valve's pin to avoid air leakage. It is about $40 cheaper ($60 vs $100).