Avoid the Dandenongs for a bit

djw47

Avoid the Dandenongs for a bit

Postby djw47 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:49 pm

Hi all, as you may be aware, the Dandenongs have taken a beating with the storm last week and the place is a mess. There's tree debris on the roads, there are damaged roads, there are still power lines down, there are random bits of trees piled up precariously at the roadside, plus, perhaps most importantly, there are many people who are really struggling after days without electricity, heating and even water. There is a massive clear-up exercise ongoing with SES, CFA, Parks Victoria, Ausnet and locals all working on clearing up and rebuilding the power infrastructure and many roads have been closed to non-locals.

If you like to ride up there, and were planning a trip up over the next couple of weeks, maybe consider postponing it out of respect for the locals and the clean-up effort. The last thing the area needs is an influx of people putting additional stress on the infrastructure and roads.

Thanks!

Coffee_Jimmy

Re: Avoid the Dandenongs for a bit

Postby Coffee_Jimmy » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:44 pm

Anyone unsure if they should go for a look or not just watch this video that Mt Dandenong Ranges YouTube Channel uploaded.
We normally head up to the Mt Dandenong bakery with the kids once a fortnight but won't this weekend.

https://youtu.be/Q4DwONTNW2Y

Really is even worse than I imagined.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:01 pm

confusing:

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.p ... &width=500

Visit Yarra Valley and Dandenong Ranges
27th June 15:00
Feel like a slow wander up to the Dandenong Ranges? So much of the hill top areas need to be left to the locals while they rebuild and continue to assess (and actually - for your own safety!). However - the good news is that Sassafras has finally found its feet again and is ready to welcome you. A wintery weekend visit could include:
A long lunch at Ripe Cafe
Lush pastries, decadent hot chocolate, the ultimate in cakes and coffee from Proserpina Bakehouse
Magical shopping at the fairytale hand made toy shop Geppetto's Workshop Pty Ltd (it's not just for kids!) Famous scones, jam and cream at Miss Marple's Tearoom
It's super important to arrive and depart safely. There's heavy machinery operating in the area, in some areas trees are still falling and you're on country roads. Please only use the following entry & exit roads:
Mountain Hwy from The Basin to Sassafras
Mt Dandenong Tourist Rd access to Sassafras from the South

meanwhile:
Yarra Ranges Council
28 m (wed 30/6 3:46pm)
From 7am Thursday, there will be some changes to road access rules on Mount Dandenong.

Mt Dandenong Tourist Road, Emerald-Monbulk Road, Olinda-Monbulk Road, Mountain Highway and Ridge Road have been closed to the public, with access for local residents and permitted vehicles only.

From tomorrow, the roads will also be open to people who are delivering essential supplies to local residents, such as food or equipment.
Work crews are continuing to remove hazardous trees along the roads.
For now, tourists and the members of the public not offering support for impacted residents will not be permitted access and will be turned around.

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.p ... &width=500

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:16 pm

Main roads in the 'Nongs ok to ride now ? if Strava is any guide, then yes, just looking for first hand experience.

eg. 1:20, Tourist Rd etc...just road riding.

Cheers...
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:12 pm

cyclotaur wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:16 pm
Main roads in the 'Nongs ok to ride now ? if Strava is any guide, then yes, just looking for first hand experience.

eg. 1:20, Tourist Rd etc...just road riding.

Cheers...
Getting there:
https://forums.bicyclenetwork.com.au/vi ... 19#p694415

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:31 pm

A few questions about the Sassafras cafés, for those in the know, whether locals or regular visitors. It's been a while since I last rode up there.
- what happened to the retail lease previously occupied by The Black Kettle, then renamed to The Fat Badger? Is there another café there now, or something different?
- how is Ripe Café for cyclists? The reviews are mixed and I've never been there.
- ditto Proserpina Bakehouse, and does it have any decent breakfast options other than the bakery items?

Regards & thanks,

--- Victor.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:16 am

Cyclophiliac wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:31 pm
A few questions about the Sassafras cafés, for those in the know, whether locals or regular visitors. It's been a while since I last rode up there.
- what happened to the retail lease previously occupied by The Black Kettle, then renamed to The Fat Badger? Is there another café there now, or something different?
- how is Ripe Café for cyclists? The reviews are mixed and I've never been there.
- ditto Proserpina Bakehouse, and does it have any decent breakfast options other than the bakery items?

Regards & thanks,

--- Victor.
Never mind, don't reply. I was planning to ride up there next week, as I've booked a week off work. Now I won't be doing that, and booking leave was a complete &#%! waste of time.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:55 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:16 am

Never mind, don't reply. I was planning to ride up there next week, as I've booked a week off work. Now I won't be doing that, and booking leave was a complete &#%! waste of time.
I share your pain. I have two and a bit weeks of leave booked in September to go to Hopetoun to ride the Mallee 1000. I'd say there is about a 1 in a million chance of that being possible now. The week after that I am supposed to be doing to the Gears & Beers in Wagga with our club for a social weekend away, and that is also looking doubtful. Even my planned trip to Victoria for the GSR1200 in November (postponed from last year due to Covid) is already giving me nervous twitches about cancellation.

I'm holding off cancelling my leave as long as I can, which will probably be the supposed end of the lockdown (which I reckon will become another 4 weeks - might as well just say "we ain't going anywhere till Jan 1st" and be done with it!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi