Riding from NoR to SoR - PSP under construction? August 2021

Mububban

Riding from NoR to SoR - PSP under construction? August 2021

Postby Mububban » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:11 pm

Weather permitting, I've got to get from say Greenwood Station to the Raffles Hotel by 8am. If I stick to the PSP will I hit any construction that will slow me down and send me on long slow detours?

I can stick Google Maps on my handlebar holder but it isn't always the best for cycling directions.

Or being early weekend morning, should I just ride on the road?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

jaseyjase

Re: Riding from NoR to SoR - PSP under construction? August 2021

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:16 pm

Early morning weekends i would just jump on the road, traffic is fairly minimal

But then would you want to be on the PSP back home? or is it one way trip ?

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:03 pm

Greenwood to Perth on the PSP+ on road bits is easy and obvious (except around Stirling station where you need to follow the signs east up Cedric st to Telford. And beware the big bump on the straight section in Gwellup :shock: ) noting that you need to get off the PSP at Loftus St and then head across the freeway to the PSP south of the railway. Don't get fooled by the tight turn at Parliament house - stay hard by the freeway. Once you're past that, finding your way to the Raffles is bloody obvious.

Now, in terms of distractions and diversions: I'm not personally aware of any affecting that stretch of road/psp, I've not been south of the old mill for a while but I have been north.

A quick look at the PTA PSP site is a bit unclear about whether there's works currently on for the Stephenson Avenue Extension at Cedric St. The MRD Map shows nothing.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

mount_street

Postby mount_street » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:17 am

There were no detours riding from Stirling to Applecross earlier in the week. Telford Crescent in Stirling is down to one lane at some times of day but there are lollipop people controlling traffic (which is light anyway).

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:02 pm

Thanks all. Looking at maps while reading advice, I think I'll be able to cope. I never ride into the city let alone pass through it into *gasp* south of the river!!!

I'm riding to meet a group at the Raffles, we're doing about 40km, then I'm riding home again. Should be close to 100km all up but pace will be gentle.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!