Does anyone still make a 26" narrow rim?

downunderupover

Does anyone still make a 26" narrow rim?

Postby downunderupover » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:05 pm

Hi there,

Believe it or not, I'm running two 26-er rigid steel mountainbike frames. One of them is 9 speed. Sure, practically a museum piece, I get it.

Anyway, they're both on Mavic XM719 disc-only rims, which have an internal diameter of 19mm. I run narrow tyres as I'm mostly riding on pavement.

One of the rear rims is cracked and I'm having a hell of a job finding a replacement. The XM719 is long gone (some chap in Melbourne has a pair for sale, new apparently, but they look a bit shop worn), and Mavic and a whole host of the other suspects don't appear to make anything in 26" with a narrow profile of approximately 20mm internal / 24mm external.

Axelrims make some narrow 26" rims (e.g. their MD19, 559X19mm). That's spot on for size, but I've never run one of their rims and reviews seem mixed, at best. Flexy, seems to be the general consensus, though it's hard to tell if it's the rim or the build that's at fault. Could always build one and find out, I suppose. At 6'4 I'm not light.

Any other suggestions? 26" disc-only rims specifically, please. I'd like to avoid ordering a 27.5-compatible frame and wheels under the current conditions. The idea is to ride my current bikes for as long as I can, which the market seems to be telling me isn't much longer.

Cheers!
Last edited by downunderupover on Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nobody

Re: Does anyone still make a 26" narrow rim?

Postby Nobody » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:34 pm

I'll start by saying you can run 23s on a 19mm inner rim. Some road bikes do that now. I had that setup about 11 years ago on the back with 17mm inner on the front. Seems to work well for me. So if you're running 38s or something like that, then you can use whatever rim width you can get. It really only needs to be slightly smaller than the tyre. In theory you'll only get more stability for the tyre, possibly some more strength and a bit more weight.

Mavic lost me as a customer when they started asking the retailers they supply to geo-block. Plenty of other manufacturers.

I ride a 26" MTB and I'll probably continue to do so for a while yet. At least while it's still economic to get the tyres. A lot of cheaper bikes are still made in 26", so most of the cheaper tyres should be around for a while yet.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/bikes ... es/26-inch

If you're really stuck, try Bike24 in Europe. Postage via DHL isn't cheap or quick, but if you want something specific, they are more likely to have it than most. It appears their customers are more price and less fashion conscious than the US, UK or AU. Eg:
https://www.bike24.com/cycling/parts/bi ... =price_asc

downunderupover

Postby downunderupover » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:50 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Funnily enough I did end up taking a look at Bike24. The DT Swiss 545D looks about right, 559x21, 32 holes, eyelets, etc. Says "E-Bike" on the label, hopefully that's a removable sticker because I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm power assisted as they pass me on their actual e-bikes :lol: So that's a contender.

My 1.5" Schwalbe Marathon Plus-es are pretty much glued on now having not had a flat the entire decade I've been riding on them. That's a 38mm tyre, so what you've said about rim width is of great interest to me, opens up the options, and I'll be looking into that some more.

Thanks again, really helpful reply. Cheers!

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:34 pm

Where are you located? I have a set of 559x17mm Mavic XM317s on DT 370 hubs from a parts donor bike in my garage, that are surplus to my needs. I'm in Melbourne.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

downunderupover

Postby downunderupover » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:04 am

Hi Duck, and thanks. I'm in Sydney. How much would you want for them, assuming I could get someone in Melbourne to you? Might be able to twist an arm or two.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:08 pm

downunderupover wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:04 am
Hi Duck, and thanks. I'm in Sydney. How much would you want for them, assuming I could get someone in Melbourne to you? Might be able to twist an arm or two.
Best to ask that question by DM or to quote the question (like I have done with yours here) so that it comes up in notifications. Otherwise, chances are Duck! won't see your response.

downunderupover

Postby downunderupover » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:18 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:08 pm
Best to ask that question by DM
Thanks TG, will do.