What has it got in its pocketses

zebee

What has it got in its pocketses

Postby zebee » Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:14 pm

Took the trike in for brake fix because I just couldn't get the damn things to work properly - cable issues. Ride in, public transport back so I took the racktop bag off and carried it home. Things were a bit wet so I took the bag upstairs to unpack and dry out.

Ye Gods I am a packrat!

Here's what I carry on my recumbents all day every day. What do you carry on your utility/transport/all weather/all times of day bike?

https://imgur.com/t4haUsO cos I can't get the link working!

1. Abus armoured cable. Goes around bag (under handle and through rings attached to zipper) through back wheel and rack. I'm not worried about steal to order and this will deter joyriders. A thief with a knife will have the bag but I think that's not a real worry in the areas I leave it in

On the left is the Stuff I Find Useful
2 to 5 are the electrics in their green bag. A set of cables for different USB plugs and a power bank. A spare set of front and rear lights because even with e-bike lights (trike) and dynamo (bike) bad things happen. And you do not want to be out at night in the wet with no lights!
6 is a stuff bag - unpacks to quite a roomy dufflebag with strap. For when you are out without your normal panniers and you need to carry something for some reason that won't fit in the racktop bag panniers.
7 to 12 are the Orange Bag of Useful. Gloves and armwarmers, a reflective armband, sunscreen, the filthy rag that didn't used to be so filthy, and a cable and padlock for locking up something that needs it.
13 is a set of clear glasses for night time. Swap with the sunglasses I usually use.
14 is the shoulder strap for the racktop bag so I can remove this lot from the bike/trike if it will be parked somewhere unsafe for a while.

On the right are the tools. Remember that this bag is used on trike and bike and of course you need different tools!
15 is a multi tool. Heavy bugger and I am not really sure why I carry it, I think because one day I discovered something that I couldn't get to with the ratchet set.
16 is mainly used as a general prybar although it also is a 15mm spanner for rear wheel on bike and trike.
17 is a bit hard to see. a hank of venetian blind cord (tougher than string and cheap) plus the key for the trike battery. There's a spare chain link, a chainring bolt and a stray 6mm bolt there too.
18 is an allen key for the bike because none of the other tools fit that one spot...
19 is a spanner and a small shifter mostly for the trike. There's a 15mm there too which is probably surplus now I have the lever thing.
20 is the ratchet and its bits. Don't use it that much but loooove it when I do!
21 is the puncture kit. Levers, patches, glue, scraper, and the thingy that undoes the not-very-QR front wheel on the bike.
22 spare tubes. presta 26" for the bike and schraeder 20" for the trike.
23 pump. This is a really nice one, can be a trackpump style or old fashioned style, has a long cable, head fits in tight places such as a 20" wheel with a large electric motor in it because of the screw on not lever flip design, has a gauge, easy to swap between presta and schraeder.

Missing from the collection are a couple of webbing straps which were used the other day and are in the Arkel pannier and a roll of duct tape to replace the one mostly used up for a non-bicycle reason.

Each of these things is a result of one day not having something I needed. But if you are moving between bikes and you don't want to have to think about the weather or unpack and repack then well... you end up with a large racktop bag full of stuff you almost never use but one day might be very glad you have.

(Mind you, looking at the tools you can tell I used to ride Elderly Italian Motorcycles! It is ingrained in me that things will vibrate loose or off)
Last edited by find_bruce on Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix image

find_bruce

Re: What has it got in its pocketses

Postby find_bruce » Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:41 pm

Was going to make a comment about hobbitses, but none fit to print, so I fixed your image instead - it was missing the ".png"
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:20 pm

Good topic. I really should empty mine out and find out. I did discover some toecovers I thought I'd lost stuffed away :oops:
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:15 pm

My all time of day bike is a Cervelo S5. It gets ridden nearly everywhere and I did commute on it sometimes.

I carry quite a number of CO2 canisters, some allen wrenches, 4 CR2032 batteries (for the shift levers), two spare E-Tap batteries and a couple of spare tubes. They all go in a tool bottle.

If I'm commuting I have a backpack like this:

https://www.hauteroute.org/images/uploa ... ON-711.jpg

Exactly same as what Paolo P. has. I have a stash of those backpacks and they are alright - decent size and shape and fit enough things that I need to take with me. I don't need to take a laptop computer with me so that is a bonus.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:29 pm

Wow. :shock: I thought I was the master of carrying too much crap! :lol: I bow in homage to the king! :lol:

As I do a bit of solo mountain biking on the trails around Ku Ring Gai Chase National Park, and it could be a long and awkward walk out, in addition to extra fluid and nutrition, I carry
* a couple of spare tubes,
* puncture kit,
* cut off scraps of outdoor folding chair strapping (lightweight reinforcement for when you slash a sidewall and have to fit a tube)
* multi tool (must have: chain breaker)
* tyre levers,
* a couple of gas bombs,
* pump,
* cable ties,
* a mini-leatherman,
* a couple of quick-links
* spare derailleur hanger, and
* a mini first aid kit.

I've had to use each of them at different times. Fortunately, not the compression bandage yet (snake bite).

A few years ago I used to organise group mountain bike rides, and found that once you got over 4 or 5 somebody would inevitably have a mechanical. :evil: One day we had a group of 10 or 12 and we had a few mechanicals in quick succession. My trusty multi-tool and leatherman saved the day.

Then someone asked if I had a pedal spanner, because their pedal was a bit loose. :lol: :lol: Me: "Huh, wut? Nope! :lol: " (and in my head, "Did you really just ask that? :roll: :? :lol: ")

Now I'm looking at your photo: Is that what I spy on the orange bag next to your multi-tool? :shock: :shock:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:50 pm

Oh, and PS: When I'm out on the trails I'm on one of these. Yeah I'm gonna say it: One ring (and one fork leg) to rule them all! :lol:

zebee

Postby zebee » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:30 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:29 pm

Now I'm looking at your photo: Is that what I spy on the orange bag next to your multi-tool? :shock: :shock:
Guilty your honour!

It's a 15mm spanner for the rear hubs on both bikes. That doubles as a prybar (cos I'd never use it as a tyre lever) and as a bottle cap lifter. I don't think I have used it as a pedal spanner but maybe after lifting a bottle cap or two?

I think it was marketed to fixie hipsters by Torpedo 7 years ago.

Zebee

zebee

Postby zebee » Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:18 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:29 pm
Wow. :shock: I thought I was the master of carrying too much crap! :lol: I bow in homage to the king! :lol:

As I do a bit of solo mountain biking on the trails around Ku Ring Gai Chase National Park, and it could be a long and awkward walk out, in addition to extra fluid and nutrition, I carry
* a couple of spare tubes,
* puncture kit,
* cut off scraps of outdoor folding chair strapping (lightweight reinforcement for when you slash a sidewall and have to fit a tube)
* multi tool (must have: chain breaker)
* tyre levers,
* a couple of gas bombs,
* pump,
* cable ties,
* a mini-leatherman,
* a couple of quick-links
* spare derailleur hanger, and
* a mini first aid kit.
No lights or lock? I guess if you are recreational riding you don't need either. What do you carry on your transport/utility bike?

(I have a $5 note in the puncture kit for sidewall tears. Needed it once! In North Sydney of all places.)

I'm pondering ditching the gloves as it hasn't been cold enough for them the last couple of years. Time was they'd get used regularly on the commute home in winter but not for ages now. Ditto the arm warmers.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:17 pm

zebee wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:18 pm
No lights or lock? I guess if you are recreational riding you don't need either. What do you carry on your transport/utility bike?

(I have a $5 note in the puncture kit for sidewall tears. Needed it once! In North Sydney of all places.)

I'm pondering ditching the gloves as it hasn't been cold enough for them the last couple of years. Time was they'd get used regularly on the commute home in winter but not for ages now. Ditto the arm warmers.
'
Lights are on the bike, not in the bag. Full-finger MTB gloves are on the hands, always, year-round: I sweat profusely, so they are required for grip. The lock? Stays on the bike rack at work. If I'm using the bike for local errands, then I have one at home I will take if needed. My bikes are typically high value, so I don't like using them for day-to-day errands unless it's going to be very quick in and out from the shop.

Low-value crappers in what I consider safe and decent condition that would be less attractive to thieves are a bit hard to find ... and when I do, they seem to get pinched by my now-adult kids. :? My young bloke borrowed my hardtail for commuting to work and I'm a bit pissed off with the condition it came back in yesterday for a drive train upgrade. I'm considering just giving it back to him as is, or not giving it back.

zebee

Postby zebee » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:00 pm

Yeah I have lights on the bike too. But I have backups because I have had a dynamo light kark it due to a broken wire (which I didn't find till I got home despite looking for ages) and a AA battery light flash brightly for just long enough for me to turn it on, check it, and get on the bike...

So I have backups because I do not want to be lightless in the dark and wet and still 10km to get home.

I rely on recumbent wierdness. No one is going to nick the 2 wheeler to ride (unless there are more 5'2" bent riders out there than is really reasonable) but a lock helps stop some drongo moving it to sit on and breaking something. The trike is more joyrider friendly so definitely needs to be locked up but less fragile if someone just sits on it to try it out.

I don't bother locking either of them at work! Locked cage with cameras and they really aren't spur of the moment nickables or sell for parts as the bits are pretty low end. If I take the Brompton I park it under my desk because I really don't want to leave that unsupervised.