Cape Solander Open to Cyclist? (Now Open to Pedestrians)

peter

Cape Solander Open to Cyclist? (Now Open to Pedestrians)

Postby peter » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:33 am

It says closed to cars, I wonder if it is now accessible to cyclist?

https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/th ... e-solander

Last time I cycled there the entire road was gated.

Anyone been there recently?
Last edited by peter on Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biker jk

Re: Cape Solander Open to Cyclist?

Postby biker jk » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:43 am

peter wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:33 am
It says closed to cars, I wonder if it is now accessible to cyclist?

https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/th ... e-solander

Last time I cycled there the entire road was gated.

Anyone been there recently?
I was there just over a month ago. I just squeezed through the gap in the fence.

peter

Postby peter » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:43 pm

biker jk wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:43 am
I was there just over a month ago. I just squeezed through the gap in the fence.

Thanks for the update, last time it was like this. Was it a tight squeeze through or relatively roomy?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:07 pm

peter wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:43 pm
biker jk wrote:

Thanks for the update, last time it was like this. Was it a tight squeeze through or relatively roomy?

I went through a gap on the left hand side.

peter

Postby peter » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:36 pm

Cheers! Will investigate :D

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:07 am

peter wrote:
biker jk wrote:

They appear to be doing ongoing works at the whale watching platform:
https://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/topi ... g-upgrades
Env NSW wrote: Construction commenced in mid-2021 and has been affected by the COVID-19 crisis, including the pause on construction and ongoing restrictions with availability of materials and some trades. In addition, problems with concrete incorporated in the main platform slab will require remediation in early 2022.

We are working to resolve these issues and hope to provide a revised estimate for completion as soon as possible. Cape Solander lookout, the adjacent parking, and a portion of Cape Solander Drive will be closed during this time. Vehicle access will be closed beyond Yena, but all walking tracks will remain open.

That's a lot of signage to willingly ignore. As it's ongoing construction then the builders and trades will likely (however occasionally) be driving along the road with materials, which forms part of their work site. The signage means nobody in, no bikes, no peds, no cars. Nada. You'll also probably be up the creek with insurance should anything happen. That the walking tracks are open means they're not using those areas for access and are excluded from their work site. Vice versa, if the trades had an incident on the walking trail, they'd be SOL, insurance-wise.

Would I risk it? Possibly. The number of work days there would be very limited at the moment.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:07 pm

familyguy wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:07 am
peter wrote:
biker jk wrote:

They appear to be doing ongoing works at the whale watching platform:
https://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/topi ... g-upgrades
Env NSW wrote: Construction commenced in mid-2021 and has been affected by the COVID-19 crisis, including the pause on construction and ongoing restrictions with availability of materials and some trades. In addition, problems with concrete incorporated in the main platform slab will require remediation in early 2022.

We are working to resolve these issues and hope to provide a revised estimate for completion as soon as possible. Cape Solander lookout, the adjacent parking, and a portion of Cape Solander Drive will be closed during this time. Vehicle access will be closed beyond Yena, but all walking tracks will remain open.

That's a lot of signage to willingly ignore. As it's ongoing construction then the builders and trades will likely (however occasionally) be driving along the road with materials, which forms part of their work site. The signage means nobody in, no bikes, no peds, no cars. Nada. You'll also probably be up the creek with insurance should anything happen. That the walking tracks are open means they're not using those areas for access and are excluded from their work site. Vice versa, if the trades had an incident on the walking trail, they'd be SOL, insurance-wise.

Would I risk it? Possibly. The number of work days there would be very limited at the moment.
I was there on a Sunday and there was no work being done.

peter

Postby peter » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:13 pm

If they are working on the platform, why close the road? If they need the road for transport, do the materials arrive in helicopters behind the gate? :D

But yeah, will probably not go there in a rush, was just curious how are they progressing.

peter

Postby peter » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:20 pm

The new platform looks pretty good, a vast improvement, also it appears that improvements in the surrounding areas as well, not just the platform.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:56 pm

peter wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:13 pm
If they are working on the platform, why close the road? If they need the road for transport, do the materials arrive in helicopters behind the gate? :D

But yeah, will probably not go there in a rush, was just curious how are they progressing.
Without knowing where your photo is, there'd be something by way of a trail crossing or access point nearby, or the border of the park itself. It would have a reason, however obscure or odd.

As above, probably safe if no work. Did the same a few weeks ago at Galston, though the road patrol crew said it was OK to go in as far as the bridge, just don't cross it.

peter

Postby peter » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:52 pm

The gate is right after the one way exit from Yena picnic area, so the picnic area is still accessible by car, possibly one of the reasons that they didn't install the gate after the main carpark.

thedrover

Postby thedrover » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:33 pm

The NSW parks alerts page says:
The road from Yena to Cape Solander is closed to vehicles due to the construction of the new whale platform.

The road is also closed to pedestrian and cyclists from Monday 4 July to Friday 8 July 2022 for resurfacing.
So it looks like it is ok to ride there apart from next week.

https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/th ... cal-alerts

peter

Postby peter » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:11 pm

Interesting when you read the details.

Possible because it is still accessible through Yena Gap Trail. It's about 600m of gravel from Polo Street, not sure how ridable it is.

There's a review on Tripadvisor mention Yena Gap Trail is a shortcut, the photo shows a couple of rigid MTB, nothing hardcore it seems.

I guess once you are in there it is ok to come out through the main road, unless there are more signs inside the closed section.

peter

Postby peter » Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:54 pm

Drove to Cape Solander to take a look, not sure since when but it is now open to pedestrians.

peter

Re: Cape Solander Open to Cyclist? (Now Open to Pedestrians)

Postby peter » Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:00 am

Finally good weather and rode to take a look. The new platform is taking shape but still some way to go. Cycling is no problem.