Steady state intervals

davehirst

Steady state intervals

Postby davehirst » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:01 pm

I have recently begun a training program, today was steady state intervals. It is a strava based one, so no coach to ask.
I am unsure of what zones i should be in, as there is a disconnect between my power and heart rate.
If i stay in a zone 10 percent below my ftp, then my heart rate only sits in tempo.
Should i do these intervals relying on hr or power?.
To get my hr at threshold i have to go to 105/110 percent of ftp.

g-boaf

Re: Steady state intervals

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:16 pm

davehirst wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:01 pm
I have recently begun a training program, today was steady state intervals. It is a strava based one, so no coach to ask.
I am unsure of what zones i should be in, as there is a disconnect between my power and heart rate.
If i stay in a zone 10 percent below my ftp, then my heart rate only sits in tempo.
To get my hr at threshold i have to go to 105/110 percent of ftp.
Have you done an FTP test or a ramp test? How recently was your FTP measured. You want to know that to start with and that it is accurate then you can work from there.

davehirst

Postby davehirst » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:17 am

I completed a 20 minute test, not ramp test, 4 days ago on an indoor trainer, last week i did a 20 minute hill climb in the real world, the trainer gave me an ftp 10 percent greater, which is probably realistic as there are no head winds or distractions.
At the end of the indoor test, i felt i could of gone a bit harder and was 4 percent below my max heart rate.

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:36 am

If you have a power meter then forget about heart rate as a training tool or measure of fitness.
A properly calibrated good quality power meter gives accurate and precise figures on raw physical output and effort.
At best heart rate gives a rough and highly variable indication of effort. Heart rate isn't consistent from one ride to the next. It can be affected by external factors such as air and body temperature, your fatigue level, amount of sleep, food, all sorts of other things unrelated to your level of effort and fitness.
For instance I can ride my usual 40km circuit at exactly the same speed as other rides under similar wind conditions and there might be a 10 -20 beats per minute difference between the two. It isn't a reliable indicator.

DernyDriver

Postby DernyDriver » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:50 am

davehirst wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:01 pm

Power. Forget heart rate.

What Tim said

davehirst

Postby davehirst » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:20 am

Ok, thanks for the replies,.
Power it is.