Rail trail extentions

Hinault1986

Rail trail extentions

Postby Hinault1986 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:31 pm

Hi,
Does anyone know when the rail trail from Nyora to Korumburra will be completed? Or how close it is to completion.
And the Beachworth rail trail is being extended to Yakandandah. Does anyone have an idea when that may be finished? Has any one tried to ride any of it, and how far did you get?
Thanks.

gabaker

Re: Rail trail extentions

Postby gabaker » Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:26 pm

In March 2022, I cycled the rail trail from Nyora to Korumburra. I recall that it was a fun track to ride on. My notes say that there was a short section of missing track near Loch; its just a few hundred metres of unformed track that you can still get your bicycle through. And then about two kilometres before Korumburra there was some machinery repairing a washed-out section of track. We just turned-off onto the road and cycled the two kilometres into Korumburra on the road. The rail trail keeps going to a place called Ruby at the South Gippsland Highway; we had to switch to the road for some of this section, but I recall that most of this section was rideable.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:53 pm

Hinault1986 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:31 pm
Hi,
Does anyone know when the rail trail from Nyora to Korumburra will be completed? Or how close it is to completion.
And the Beachworth rail trail is being extended to Yakandandah. Does anyone have an idea when that may be finished? Has any one tried to ride any of it, and how far did you get?
Thanks.
There was a post on the FB Melbourne Bike Paths group today saying is open now from Nyora all the way to Port Welshpool it linked to the Great Southern Railtrail FB page which seems to confirm this...I'm on Phillip Island Xmas to New Year so I know where I'll be heading!

https://www.facebook.com/GreatSouthernRailTrail

Hinault1986

Postby Hinault1986 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:37 am

Thanks Antigee.
I was aware the plan was to have the trail open at the end of this month. I was wondering if the rain/ floods has caused things to be postponed.
As far as I was aware, the biggest problem was a bridge that need the rails removed, decking put down and safety fencing.
I can't find your reference to a Melbourne FB cycling group, as I would like to hear if in fact someone has ridden from Nyora to Korumburra all the way on the trail.
The rail trails site seem to be painfully slow to update; I know they are volunteers but it would be nice to have some news on the progress on the trail.
Antigee, i would be most grateful if you do a ride, and give a bit of info on it.

Mofra

Postby Mofra » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:53 pm

If it helps, yesterday and today I rode from Korumburra to Port Welshpool (return leg today) - Signage at Korumburra indicated the Nyora extension was open. Very pretty trail, not too much flat - it was shallow gradient a lot of the way.

Made a couple of echidna friends just outside of Fish Creek too, each way,

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:38 pm

Hinault1986 wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:37 am
Thanks Antigee.
I was aware the plan was to have the trail open at the end of this month. I was wondering if the rain/ floods has caused things to be postponed.
As far as I was aware, the biggest problem was a bridge that need the rails removed, decking put down and safety fencing.
I can't find your reference to a Melbourne FB cycling group, as I would like to hear if in fact someone has ridden from Nyora to Korumburra all the way on the trail.
The rail trails site seem to be painfully slow to update; I know they are volunteers but it would be nice to have some news on the progress on the trail.
Antigee, i would be most grateful if you do a ride, and give a bit of info on it.
Sorry I didn't pick up on response on my post....we rode south from Leongatha through Korumbarra ..my understanding is that was the section that required (and has) new bridges...there was signage mentioning ongoing works but no closures and we found the contractors very considerate...the parts of the trail we did where excellent and there are plenty of facilities along the way and more shade (at least on the sections we did) than on some trails...hoping to go back and ride the complete trail

Edit I may be confused looks like new bridges north and south of Leongatha the Rail Trails Australia newsletter for January says the following :

"GREAT SOUTHERN RAIL TRAIL EXTENSION FULLY OPEN
Posted on 24/12/22

Great news to finish 2022, the extension of the Great Southern Rail Trail in Gippsland, Victoria is finally complete.
The Bass River and Allsop Creek bridges have been decked so the scenic 36km Nyora to Leongatha section is now fully open, perfect for the holiday season. If you are really keen the total length from Nyora to Welshpool of 103km awaits."