Canberra to the Coast

LuckyPierre

Canberra to the Coast

Postby LuckyPierre » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:42 am

I'm keen to do a Canberra to the Coast' trip along the lines that I've posted in the Meeting Point forum.
The '30 second elevator speech' version - "Ride from Canberra to Moruya via Captain's Flat, Major's Creek and Araluen, covering the 160 km in 8 - 10 hours. Overnight in Moruya, then catch the bus back. Be prepared to bail out if it looks like taking too long. Rather than dwell on it, tackle it soon."

I'll post a trip report when I get back - if I get back!
Last edited by LuckyPierre on Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:09 am

Been nice knowing you Peter. We'll miss you :(

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:12 am

Are you going to do the return journey?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:47 am

mikesbytes wrote:Are you going to do the return journey?
In a word, "No" - I'll either catch the bus or get picked up.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:28 am

Its only one hill

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:08 pm

But it's uphill all the way!
Some people think that the 'Gong ride has enough climbing, but the maximum elevation gain over the long course is only 250 metres. The return trip on this ride would mean a 1,200 metre gain - and it puts the lumpy bits at the end of the ride.
If I go, one way will be enough.

europa

Postby europa » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:17 pm

I'd do it from coast to home. Sure, that gives you that wee pimple to get over, but once over, there's a lot of down hill to home and collapsing in front of your own tele would have to be better than trying to recover on the bus home again. Maybe make a weekend of it? Spend the night in a pub?

Richard

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:33 pm

europa wrote: ... Spend the night in a pub? ...Richard
That's what I / we intend to do! Sadly, it will have to be a sensible night, because the bus to Canberra leaves Moruya at 6:00am. :cry:
edited to add
You beauty - I just found another bus that leaves after lunch. That's more like it! :)

europa

Postby europa » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:55 pm

How about riding there, overnighting and riding home

Richard

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:03 pm

europa wrote:I'd do it from coast to home
In my best argumentative tone: "How about you do it!" :P
This isn't like riding from Glenelg to Murray Bridge - well, the Canberra to the Coast leg is, being a gain of about 600 metres, but it is twice as far. The Coast to Canberra leg would have a gain of 1200 metres, with 500 - 600 metres of that being a bl**dy cliff face. That bit (just outside Major's Creek) is going to be hairy enough going down, let alone going up! :?
I'm going to have a look at whether there is a similar profile in South Australia - I'll come back and whinge some more if there isn't!
Last edited by LuckyPierre on Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:39 pm

LuckyPierre wrote:
europa wrote:How about riding there, overnighting and riding home
In my best argumentative tone: "How about you do it!" :P
This isn't like riding from Glenelg to Murray Bridge - well, the Canberra to the Coast leg is, being a gain of about 600 metres, but it is twice as far. The Coast to Canberra leg would have a gain of 1200 metres, with 500 - 600 metres of that being a bl**dy cliff face. That bit (just outside Major's Creek) is going to be hairy enough going down, let alone going up! :?
I'm going to have a look at whether there is a similar profile in South Australia - I'll come back and whinge some more if there isn't!
Yeh it leaves the cork screw for dead.

Should be able to climb it in around an hour.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:57 am

Sadly, my Canberra to the Coast trip is on hold. :cry:
I will try and drum up some interest when I find another weekend to try it.
ps. I found a way to put in more gravel, the same (or roughly) amount of up and downs and cut off 10km. :)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:07 pm

LuckyPierre wrote:Sadly, my Canberra to the Coast trip is on hold. :cry:
I will try and drum up some interest when I find another weekend to try it.
ps. I found a way to put in more gravel, the same (or roughly) amount of up and downs and cut off 10km. :)
Not taking the road'ie ?

BigClimbs

Postby BigClimbs » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:38 pm

Caberrra to the Coast is a great ride. I've done it a few times on the mtb. The best way is out through Captains Flat to Majors Creek then on to Araluen. There's a significant climb through the Talagandra from Captains Flat to Majors Creek and another climb from Majors to Araluen. Allow yourself 10 hours, but you should be able to get to Moruya easily in that time. You can get a good counter lunch and beers at the Araluen pub. Last time I did it it took a bit under 9 hours to get to Bateman's Bay via Moruya, but the Princess Hwy from Moruya to Bateman's Bay is narrow and full of traffic in the afternoon. Its also all up and down, no flat and I swore the last time that I would never ride that road again.

s-s-a

Postby s-s-a » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:58 pm

There is an alternative route that bypasses Captains Flat:

- Take Briars Sharrow Road to the left on your way to CF and about 1km down there turn right onto ?Plains Road (which used to be horrible rough dirt but is now sealed).
- At the end of this road (Hoskinstown) turn right and follow signs to Rossi.
- Continue into Tallaganda SF which you will enter from the north up a longish consistent but not steep climb.
- Veer right at the top of the hill (in theory you can go left but I've never explored this one) and follow to the end at a T-junction where you turn left (turning right would take you to CF).
- Follow your nose along here back into farmland and pop out on the Captains Flat-Majors Creek road at the top of the final descent to the bitumen road that goes across the Shoalhaven.

I have ridden Canberra to Moruya twice around this time of year and once on the long weekend in June when we left the burbs in the dark and the sun rose when we were out on Plains Road - boy was it COLD! It's about 170km along the route I described above.

Steph

Blazing Saddle

Postby Blazing Saddle » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:41 pm

I did this ride many years ago, except we assembled in Bungendore and finished a Malua Bay - nearly dead! The climb up the range was a killer but the ride down the other side was an absolute blast, until the next incline...! :D

I drank about 6 beers when we finished the ride and they never touched the sides...Thank god the hotel had a pool and an understanding manager.

Cheers,
Rowan

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:46 am

It's time to resurrect this idea - 'Canberra to the Coast'.
I'll probably get dropped off at the Captain's Flat turn-off and use the alternate route that s-s-a mentioned to make it a bit shorter day.
Same basic plan - mtb with semi-slicks; only carry fluids, energy foods and camera (plus my credit card); bail out at Major's Creek or Araluen if it all get's too much; try for some-one to pick me up or catch the bus back.
If any-one's interested in loosing a day (or two) over Easter, let me know.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:01 pm

Since I first planned this trip (last year), the bus I intended to catch back to Canberra has stopped operating - and the only alternative that I've been able to find will only carry bikes if they're in a bike box. :( I wonder if Moruya Cycles will be open on Easter Monday?
It looks like I'll have to talk my son in to coming to get me.

DavidH

Postby DavidH » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:45 pm

I would seriously consider joining you but for one small detail...I don't have a MTB :oops: (or at least I don't have a MTB that I would consider rideworthy for a trip like that).

When I finally do get a decent MTB (next year at this stage) this sounds like a "must do".

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:45 pm

DavidH wrote:I would seriously consider joining you but for one small detail...I don't have a MTB :oops: (or at least I don't have a MTB that I would consider rideworthy for a trip like that) ...
Sounds like a cop out to me! :P
Anyway, who says that my bike is particularly rideworthy? I'll be riding a pretty basic alloy hardtail - and I could easily arrange the loan of another one.:wink:

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:51 pm

LuckyPierre wrote:Since I first planned this trip (last year), the bus I intended to catch back to Canberra has stopped operating - and the only alternative that I've been able to find will only carry bikes if they're in a bike box ... It looks like I'll have to talk my son in to coming to get me.
My son's response was: "As if!".
Plan B (inspired by the fact that I was prepared to catch the bus anyway) is to drive down the day before, catch the bus back, ride the next day and then drive home. A bit of 'to-ing and fro-ing', but keeps the dream alive. :)

DavidH

Postby DavidH » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:31 am

LuckyPierre wrote:Sounds like a cop out to me!
Of course it's a cop out!

But I will be taking part in the Vets road race at Dalton over the Easter weekend. Apparently it's 60km. The longest ride I've had this year is 65km so it's going to be a struggle.

Mind you I have one less competitor. Brad White was upgraded to D at the same time as me, won two races, and has been upgraded to C. A bit harsh?

Anyway...as far the coast ride goes...next time? :oops:

Danter

Re: Canberra to the Coast

Postby Danter » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:42 pm

Digging up this old thread because I would like to know from anyone that has done this ride more recently.
What are the road conditions like? How would a gravel bike go with big bag hardpack tyres? Would I better off on a mtb?

Dervish

Postby Dervish » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:27 pm

Danter wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:42 pm
Digging up this old thread because I would like to know from anyone that has done this ride more recently.
What are the road conditions like? How would a gravel bike go with big bag hardpack tyres? Would I better off on a mtb?
I've probably missed the boat on replying to Danter, but for future reference I did the route as described in the first post in December 2021. You will be fine on a gravel bike. We had a gravel bike in our pack, along with a basic hardtail MTB and the three of us on steel touring bikes. There's nothing more extreme than fire trail. There are some long climbs and one very long, very steep descent into Araluen. Make sure your brakes are in prime condition.

Otherwise, enjoy it - it's a fantastic ride; lots of very quiet unsealed roads and beautiful countryside.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:18 pm

And likewise - missed this as well - Worth noting that if anyone is thinking of heading down from Araluen to Moruya or visa versa the Araluen Road is still closed 35 kms from Moruya due to a landslide - would be a nasty backtrack once you come across this road block and have to unexpectedly go back up the hills from Araluen to Braidwood and then have to link in with some sections of the Kings Highway.....
Still a good ride from Moruya up to close to the point of the road block
(Pic from the Araluen side and the Queanbeyan–Palerang council road workers let you get close to the barriers on a bike but not pass while the Eurobodalla Council keep all road users well away from the landslip. Talk in late December 2022 was it will still take a few months to Araluen Road to reopen)
https://www.esc.nsw.gov.au/council/majo ... aluen-road
Oh and when it does reopen my call is any bike mtn, 29er, touring or gravel / all road bike is the go but think plus 35 mm width is best over the corrugated bits. Kinda worth noting have seen lots of red bellies and death adders on the road this year so get those disc brakes set up to extra screeching or ride with a loud rear hub ...maybe??
A good ride and extra special when you are riding close to the Araluen Creek and then the Deua River (which the road more or less follows down into Moruya)