Air at the Airport

Stovepipe

Air at the Airport

Postby Stovepipe » Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:02 pm

hi NSWelshmen, I'm enroute to sydney from vic. travelling with a bike with the intention to build and ride away from the airport. realised i have somehow forgotten my pump. does anyone know if there is a bike station with a pump there or nearby?

thankyous

find_bruce

Re: Air at the Airport

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:30 pm

Dontcha hate that

Closest public bike pump I know is, or at least was, in the park opposite the velodrome at Tempe. Be easier to walk the <2 km to the servo at 1004 Botany Rd, hoping that they still have the old style pump as shown by google maps
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Stovepipe

Postby Stovepipe » Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:39 pm

Ahh nuts. Happy to walk but Presta valves too - any tricks for getting a servo pump to work on those? Can u kinda just try grip your hand around it to get enough of a seal?

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:02 pm

Stovepipe wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:39 pm
Can u kinda just try grip your hand around it to get enough of a seal?
Unfortunately no. There's a screw on adapter you can get, but that's not going to help if you're already on your way.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:33 pm

Sorry - I carry a presta adapter. I would offer to help you out, but too far away atm. Depending on your McGiver skills, electrical tape can probably be made to work

Other options include decathlon which is a 5k walk & opens at 9 am, or omafiets which opens at 8 am & is a 4.2 km walk

Stovepipe

Postby Stovepipe » Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:57 pm

Welp, can confirm no air at domestic terminal.

Maybe in the fancy bike park at international but didn't walk there. Instead walked to the Budget petrol station which has the old style air pump. I have about 4 Presta adapters back in melb but of course took none as I had the pump (that I left on the kitchen bench).

Any way if you have a plastic Presta valve cap turns out you can hack it into an adapter. Grind the top off on concrete until you are left with basically the ribbed bottom part as a ring. Screw it onto your valve upside down so it's like a funnel. Blammo, you got a schraeder adapter.

Also google directions riding North were awful. Such bad roads to ride on. I'm sure there are better ways.
Also riding through centennial Park at night is terrifying. So dark.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:05 am

Well done MacGyver
Stovepipe wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:57 pm
Also riding through centennial Park at night is terrifying. So dark.
When I used to live in the east, I loved walking & riding through Centennial Park because it was dark & can't recall ever seeing another soul. About the only place in the eastern suburbs where you're alone

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:23 am

Stovepipe wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:57 pm
Any way if you have a plastic Presta valve cap turns out you can hack it into an adapter. Grind the top off on concrete until you are left with basically the ribbed bottom part as a ring. Screw it onto your valve upside down so it's like a funnel. Blammo, you got a schraeder adapter.
Nice one! I would’ve been screwed - I don’t use caps.