Tyre Gauge

Paddles

Tyre Gauge

Postby Paddles » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:38 pm

Can anyone recommend a decent tyre gauge. I've seen the Topeak one and it looks ok but what other options are available? I guess I want it to be able to do both valve styles, also have an air release button to set the pressure and for it to be reasonably accurate. I've got a decent pump with a gauge but don't trust the gauge so want to overpressurise the tyres and then release to the desired pressure.

open roader

Re: Tyre Gauge

Postby open roader » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:14 pm

I have a vintage Motometer dial pressure gauge - it's uber accurate and beautiful to handle and operate, but it's also a family heirloom and really meant to be in safe keeping - not the toolbox........

I've owned a Giant branded gauge and a Schwalbe branded gauge - both lasted approx 2.5 years then began to have intermittent display faults despite having fresh batteries.

Since them I've used the Topeak digi gauge which you mention. It reads identical pressures to my vintage gauge and after nearly 7 years it has never failed - is easy to bleed air from an over inflated tyre and works on both presta and schrader valves. I own three Topeak gauges now - they come highly recommended from me.......
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:01 pm

I have a schwalbe one. Not even sure where I got it from. However, works for both types of valve, and seems accurate and stable. Also have a top peak one, which is digital and attached to a pump, which also seems good.

I check both against an expensive and callibrated oil filled motorsport guage, which only goes up to 60psi. So I know they are reasonably accurate and stable in the 40-60psi range, but don't really know at higher pressures.

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:22 pm

Cool, thanks gents. I'm going to give the Topeak one a go at $35 on ebay I reckon.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:41 pm

ebay link didn't work for me I have two topeak gauges and one is crap ....need to buy this one with pressure release and fits on valve and is easy to read

https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/topea ... eUQAvD_BwE

used these guys but no relation

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:00 am

antigee wrote:ebay link didn't work for me
This EB link had been automatically comes up as as common link to EB site.

But if you can get it to shortened it's link in url to this Topeak gauge from ebay.

And it will take about 3 weeks to door.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:01 am

I had one of these Imagebut can't find it...think it has been borrowed.

Only $20 at Pushys
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:11 am

10speedsemiracer wrote:I had one of these Imagebut can't find it...think it has been borrowed.

Only $20 at Pushys
Out of stock at Pushys at the moment.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:25 am

^^^nope and sorry link didn't work need one that looks like this...

edit bunged knee had it sorted :-)

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:16 am

That's the one I ordered antigee, $35+GST posted from Taiwan.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:16 pm

Thread resurrection.

Any recommendations for an accurate tyre pressure gauge for gravel and road tyres?

I have the Topeak Smargauge D2 and it's reading around 7psi too low.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:30 pm

I have a BBB that I’m pretty happy with for Road and MTB. Simple but effective.

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:40 pm

MattyK wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:30 pm
I have that as well. It is identical to a schwalbe one I used to have, but lost. Also useful in that it works for schdrader valves as well as presta, so you can check car tyres as well if necessary.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:51 pm

biker jk wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:16 pm
Thread resurrection.

Any recommendations for an accurate tyre pressure gauge for gravel and road tyres?

How do you know it's reading low? Maybe what you've been using before is reading high.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:54 pm

Duck! wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:51 pm
biker jk wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:16 pm
Thread resurrection.

How do you know it's reading low? Maybe what you've been using before is reading high.
I tested it against my three track pumps which all read 80psi while the Topeak D2 read 73psi. A Google search also shows quite a few reports it reads low. I must have one of the faulty ones.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:56 pm

MattyK wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:30 pm
Thanks. I just watched a video where the Schwalbe (same as BBB) tested well. As did the SKS Airchecker.

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:32 pm

Using a Fumpa guage here
https://www.fumpapumps.com.au/products/fumpa-gauge

At the time of purchase, others I looked at took AAAs and the likes, where as the Fumpa is USB-C rechargeable and Australian made.

Only dislike is the need to pull the end apart and flipping the little insert to switch between presta and schrader. (Not that I have to do this often).

andrei

Postby andrei » Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:16 pm

dmwill wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:32 pm
Using a Fumpa guage here
https://www.fumpapumps.com.au/products/fumpa-gauge

At the time of purchase, others I looked at took AAAs and the likes, where as the Fumpa is USB-C rechargeable and Australian made.

Thanks for the recommendation, although I don't see Australian made, still good to have something local as far as distribution/warranty goes. I don't know forum opinion on Knog but in my experience their warranty service has been good.

biker jk wrote: A Google search also shows quite a few reports it reads low.

Speaking of Topeak D2, Wiggle currently have it marked down to $30.99. Found the thread you were probably talking about, and while it reads low it seems to be consistently low by around 10%, even road.cc mentioned it.

The Topeak appears to under-read by 1-2psi at 20psi (measured on a car tyre). This is easily within acceptable limits for cycling use, and might only ever be a problem if you were inflating your tyres to somebody else's pressure.... Its most useful accuracy is in being able to maintain a consistent pressure over time

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/how-accura ... 2.1193064/

andrei

Postby andrei » Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:42 am

andrei wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:16 pm
Speaking of Topeak D2

So finally got my order, just a quick update.

Pressure seems to read consistently in line with my Bosch EasyPump across a couple of car tyres and MTB tyres between 32-40 PSI, was originally concerned the pump was not making a proper connection or reading low, at least for bike tyres, car seemed pretty consistent.

Even just 40 PSI in the MTB tyres (26" x 1.75/1.95) seems about as firm as I can usually manage with a small hand pump so having a gauge is handy, and now I won't be so concerned over inflating my road tyres.

As for the Topeak gauge itself, very intuitive and quick to read, good that it works on both styles of valves, just got to be careful putting it on or off as unless you make a quick connection you might lose a bit of air fiddling around.