Stupidly expensive tubeless tyres

warthog1

Re: Stupidly expensive tubeless tyres

Postby warthog1 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:16 am

Deep carbon wheels work at slower speeds too. ;)

With respect to bike pricing, despite this thread being about the rise in prices asked for tubeless specifically, lower level bikes such as those with 105 have also gone up significantly.
105 has now also gone di2.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/shiman ... im-brakes/
Dogs are the best people :wink:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:48 am

I'm looking at some MTBs in Huez today reduced from 7500EUR to 4500EUR, still mega expensive.

This week I've been surrounded by mega expensive bikes, where I am now there could well be $250,000 worth of bicycles. :shock:

All of them ridden by people looking like they haven't eaten anything in months. :shock:

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:17 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:48 am
I'm looking at some MTBs in Huez today reduced from 7500EUR to 4500EUR, still mega expensive.

This week I've been surrounded by mega expensive bikes, where I am now there could well be $250,000 worth of bicycles. :shock:

All of them ridden by people looking like they haven't eaten anything in months. :shock:
I always think the same thing when I see 'proper' climbers. They make me look like a weightlifter.

Good luck keeping up over there!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:45 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:17 pm
g-boaf wrote:

I always think the same thing when I see 'proper' climbers. They make me look like a weightlifter.

I'm starting to lose weight as well. 8) The event leaders look crazy, just absolutely wafer thin.

American guy is crushing everyone - just crazy. Just at dinner now overhearing he apparently has a drink mix of water and just sugar.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:19 am

g-boaf wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:45 am
Mr Purple wrote:
g-boaf wrote:

I'm starting to lose weight as well. 8) The event leaders look crazy, just absolutely wafer thin.

American guy is crushing everyone - just crazy. Just at dinner now overhearing he apparently has a drink mix of water and just sugar.
This bloke?

https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/roa ... trava-kom/

Though it does look like there's an Italian ahead of him in the rankings!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:11 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:19 am
g-boaf wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:45 am
Mr Purple wrote:

This bloke?

https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/roa ... trava-kom/

Though it does look like there's an Italian ahead of him in the rankings!
Yep, Michele Negri won it. I was with the Swiss team yesterday evening, lovely cool group.

There were a lot of very exhausted and very burned people at the dinner last night. Nice today however is cool and raining. :wink: And Dolomites next week they are expecting snow.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:55 am

I went on a trip including Eastern Switzerland a few years back - took all of two pairs of shorts and then it was 30 degrees + the whole time. Made some of the hiking a bit fun!

Back to the 'tubeless tyres' front I only got 816km out of my last rear 25mm Vittoria Corsa NEXT TLR. Completely down to canvas.

Mind you I then took the new tyres out and took five KOMs on the first day. I'm thinking 707W up a pinch exceeding 30% in places was probably not the greatest way to bed them in. Might have overdone that one slightly - the old mark was 49 seconds. 42 seconds.

Have noticed that moving a tubeless from F to R means it doesn't quite seal as well. Think it needs an extra 10-20mL more sealant - always drops about 40PSI overnight for the first few days.