Western Australia - Munda Biddi in January?

skD1am0nd

Western Australia - Munda Biddi in January?

Postby skD1am0nd » Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:59 pm

I’m contemplating, riding the Munda Biddi trail this coming January. I’m well aware that that is not the optimal time but will it really be too warm to ride? I look at average temperatures for Perth (link below) and I see that, in January high/low average is 29C/18C. That is a little warm but not really bad at all, particularly since much of the route is in the woods. Given this data, it seems reasonable to ride the Munda Biddi trail in January but I thought I’d ask. Am I missing anything? And no, we do not have the option for alternate dates

https://weatherspark.com/y/128792/Avera ... emperature

RonK

Re: Western Australia - Munda Biddi in January?

Postby RonK » Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:35 am

The official averages according to the BOM are 31.4 and18.1.

But don't kid yourself - I have lived in Perth and it was not unusual to have periods of daytime temps in the 40's and overnight temps in the 30's.

Add to that the bushfire risk, water availability etc and that's why most would avoid January.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Mububban

Re: Western Australia - Munda Biddi in January?

Postby Mububban » Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:59 pm

skD1am0nd wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:59 pm
I’m contemplating, riding the Munda Biddi trail this coming January. I’m well aware that that is not the optimal time but will it really be too warm to ride? I look at average temperatures for Perth (link below) and I see that, in January high/low average is 29C/18C. That is a little warm but not really bad at all, particularly since much of the route is in the woods. Given this data, it seems reasonable to ride the Munda Biddi trail in January but I thought I’d ask. Am I missing anything? And no, we do not have the option for alternate dates

https://weatherspark.com/y/128792/Avera ... emperature
Can't remember if it was January but pretty sure we had something like 4 days in a row above 40 degrees last summer. You'd go through huge amounts of water a day and trying to ride in that heat is not good for a human body.
BOM keeps warning that this summer is shaping up to be a record-breaker for high temperatures so by all means, plan away, but make part of your plan how you will deal with extreme temperatures ruining your Plan A.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!