It followed me home can I keep it?

zebee

It followed me home can I keep it?

Postby zebee » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:36 pm

Well no, it didn't follow me home. It was shipped to me by the combined effort of several people including Eric of recumbent.co who took it over what felt like half of regional Queensland but was probably only a quarter.

It has gripshifts and the HP Velotechnic version of those is long enough that using them on USS is OK.

Mostly OK. For some reason I keep changing up when I want to change down! I suspect because bar ends are forward for higher gears and my brain is not rewiring well between the Speedmachine and Frankentrike.

Things I like:
Suspension. Where has it been all my life? The difference on Sydney roads and bike paths between this and the carbon fibre hardshell seat Encore is at least half a mouthful of fillings. Even Frankentrike's mesh seat with shock cord straps is a rattler compared to this.

Sidestand. Another one where you don't realise you have always needed it. I did used to have a bit of fibreglass tent pole with a home made fitting at the top to use as a prop stand for my Giro 20 but it was a faff and I gave up. With this even my short arm can reach back and flip the stand down before I get off the bike and lt settles neatly onto it as a get up. (Only just mind you. I was worried about short legs, never occurred to me to think about short arms on a USS bike but this is not a trike and those grips are more of a reach than they look)

Things I don't like
The aforementioned gripshifts. They do the job but I hate not knowing what gear I'm in and I really hate the way I have to think about which way to turn them all the time.

The mirror location. I can see but I have to tilt my head a lot to see over my own arm and shoulder. However even if I can rig some way to move the mirror I don't want the bike any wider than it is, so have to work out how to get the mirror forward and up. I have a Azur Falcon which is a nice long adjustable bar end mirror but the convex face is Too Convex. I had trouble seeing a bus until it was nearly on top of me, never mind cars. So the dependable Mirrcycle it is and maybe an old MTB bar end cut down to put it in.

I tried a helmet mirror but couldn't get on with it.

It doesn't have as good a turning circle as the Encore due to the bars hitting the seat and it is much harder to control off the bike due to having to often reach down to the bars when steering by the seat doesn't work. It's a little scary turning at very low speed and if you give way to your fears you go down.

I need to do more seat tuning I think, I slide forward a bit much. Need to loosen the straps more to give my gluteus maximus a bit more room.

It is heavier than the Encore and I notice that going up hill. Guess I have to go up more hills to get used to it!

I've broken out the old Radical Design banana panniers from my Giro days. They fit fine, better than on the Giro even: 2 straps on the seat, the 3rd over the headrest so they don't touch the rack at all. Meaning my topeak rack bag can go there. I can take my work gear easily enough and even do a bit of shopping on the way home as they are fairly cavernous.

Now I have to work out what to do with the Encore. Anyone know any 5'2" recumbent riders looking for a bike?

TrikeTragic

Re: It followed me home can I keep it?

Postby TrikeTragic » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:44 pm

^^^^^
I'd complain, seems to be missing a wheel...... :wink:

Cheers
Alan
BentCyclist

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:35 pm

Whereas I'm wondering what the point of the headrest is
Anything you can do, I can do slower

zebee

Postby zebee » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:08 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:35 pm
Whereas I'm wondering what the point of the headrest is
it's nice to have. The HP doesn't recline as much as the Encore but anything more reclined than bolt upright a headreast is nice.

Zebee

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:52 pm

& here was I thinking the headrest was too high for you, shame on me
Anything you can do, I can do slower

zebee

Postby zebee » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:52 pm

I should have included a loaf of bread for scale. This is not a big bike at all.

The official seat height is 20"/50cm which means knee height on me and you may remember just how short of leg I am....

zebee

Postby zebee » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:33 pm

I am liking this more and more. I have fitted the dynamo lights but couldn't use the boom mounting as the bracket I have is not long enough. So it is p-clipped to the derailleur post till I make something.

At first I had a lot of problems with tight slow turns but I finally realised that I was hitting my thigh with the back hand because I had the bars too upright. Being as Short of Arm as I am Short of Leg I had pulled the bars back to just about vertical. Now I'm more used to the gripshifts and the setup generally I moved them forward (not as forward as HPV suggests, no way could I reach them at 45deg!) which freed up the turning amazingly. I now do the chicanes on the Cooks River Path without thinking about them.

I am slowly getting fitter. I'm still pretty slow and puffy up hills but I'm getting there. I'm starting to get it faster on the flats, today I easily got past a legal e-bike and had no issues keeping up with what looked like a reasonably experienced rider on a steel drop bar bike.

I definitely love the banana panniers. For a recumbent they are much better than standard ones. Main hassle is there's no where to put a water bottle that will not be hidden by them or foul the rack top bag if I put the bottle cage up by the headrest. Luckily they have bottle pockets at the front so right now one has the bottle and I put my essentials bag (wallet, keys, phone, glasses) in the other with the bag strap over the headrest.

I haven't tried it with the trailer yet. I use the trike for that. There's just so much peace of mind in thinking "Doesn't matter how much is in the trailer, I have a motor!"