Ricardo Appreciation Society

10speedsemiracer

Re: Ricardo Appreciation Society

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun May 23, 2021 10:01 pm

Nice.

I love turning old rigid MTBs into Townie bikes. Better brakes, touring rubber, maybe sneak it up to 8/9sp and full fenders.

Have done a few, usually using a Shogun as a base but have also done various Spesh/Cannondale and even an old Giant Upland. Never a Ricardo though.

Yours has turned out very nicely, top job.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon May 24, 2021 7:46 pm

myzomela wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 4:12 pm
At last, my "after" shot. 1988 Ricardo Ridge Rider XL

Resprayed in original colour scheme, rebuilt and just back on the road.

I posted the "before" shot in October. The painting took ages, with many interruptions.
Looks great, kudos on your taste and skill there.
Also like the new tyres.
There is a Facebook group called “Straya - Look At My Bike Leaning Against Stuff”
Would be good to see more retro bikes (like yours) posted on those pages. !

Ricardo21

Re: Ricardo Series Z

Postby Ricardo21 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:07 pm

Addyplus wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:22 pm
New to this forum. I have a Ricardo series Z. Frame no L5M0421. Does anyone know how old this would be from the frame no.
It has Sugino No6 Cranks. Win Alloy Handlebars and Headstem. Diacope, Dia-Compe Brakes. Soubitez Lights. Hi Tensile frame tube. 27 inch wheels.
The bike is in good original condition with Ricardo name and decals on the blue frame.
Would appreciate any information about the bike re age, type, value etc.
How can I post a picture of it?
download google photo app- allow access to pho’s- create link to share

JohnG

Postby JohnG » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:13 pm

Hi all,

I have a Ricardo Bushbike GS in pretty good condition that I would like to sell -it is complete and rideable even the tyres are original and hold air. Anyone know where I should advertise it, and or what it might be worth (bought in 1989 in Ballarat)... now in Rowville.

JohnG

GNOME86

Postby GNOME86 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:56 pm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/193361182 ... res/teA67E

Picked up this old girl. I'm going to try my hand and building a budget around town bike. Zero experience, limited knowledge... what could go wrong.

From the looks of it it's original with concave wheels made in Belgium. I can't find and info online about these bikes other than this thread. The Shimano Mountain LX thumb shifters don't feel like they are working too good and the Exage low mounted rear brake looks like a future problem to solve. This late 80s tech is alien to my mid 90s childhood bikes but $15 for a large steel frame bike was a risk worth taking. I think the can of WD40 I bought doubled my investment.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:21 pm

JohnG wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:13 pm
Hi all,

I have a Ricardo Bushbike GS in pretty good condition that I would like to sell -it is complete and rideable even the tyres are original and hold air. Anyone know where I should advertise it, and or what it might be worth (bought in 1989 in Ballarat)... now in Rowville.

JohnG
Image using copy bb code

Image20210621_125420 by Gene Morris, on Flickr
Anything you can do, I can do slower

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:02 pm

That’s a great looking pickup. The chain stays mounted U-brake is easy to fix. Just remove it strip and rebuild with plenty of grease and it will be good for another 34 years.

GNOME86

Postby GNOME86 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:20 pm

https://flic.kr/p/2mo5vVc

This may be an example of Ricardo Deterioration, not Appreciation 😉

b4igo

Postby b4igo » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:49 am

Well I got her back! With the awesome help of a friend, the bike I owned since new and grew up with, and stupidly gave away several years ago is back in my hands! She needs a little touch up here and there to prevent some signs of rust taking over where the frame has been scratched or rubbed, but for a 30yo bike its still in great condition. I need to source a seat post.

Ultegra 6400 group set. Araya rims. My recollection is that was a White Lightning, possible from 88 or 89 (Serial number is L8Zxxxx), but what I'm not sure about is this bike has Tange 900 tubing, but I understood the White Lightning (At least from 1990) had Tange 2, so now I'm a little unsure.

teeglenn

Ricardo Medallion restored, Duracell Ricardo

Postby teeglenn » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:56 am

I now have a restored Ricardo Medallion in black 10 speed shifter on head-stem. Surprised how well the chrome rims and crankset etc came up! Looks sharp with some touch up paint after removing rust spots with steel wool.
I have also just acquired a DURACELL BATTERY painted Ricardo and that is in good condition? Anyone know anything about this bike????

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:37 am

There will be a Ricardo put together by Cyclo Retro auctioned off at the upcoming Maldon Classic to raise funds for the Maldon Hospital: https://www.facebook.com/11261918011010 ... =3&theater

Hopefully that link works. I believe they're taking bids in advance if you're unable to be there.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Maldon-Cla ... _tn__=kC-R
https://themaldonclassic.org/
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=105865

deetee

Postby deetee » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:35 pm

b4igo wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:49 am
My recollection is that was a White Lightning, possible from 88 or 89 (Serial number is L8Zxxxx), but what I'm not sure about is this bike has Tange 900 tubing, but I understood the White Lightning (At least from 1990) had Tange 2, so now I'm a little unsure.
Hi b4igo, that's basically right from what I've read. A colleague of mine has a White Lightning 88 or 89 and it's Tange 900 tubing. The decals on his are in cursive writing. I have one exactly the same as Ricardoman's at p3 further back in this post and it's Tange 2 tubing. It's got the original 600 Tricolor components and the year codes indicate it was 1990 at the earliest. Have a look back at pages 3-6 in this post for a bit of a discussion on White Lightnings.

Cheers, deetee

CNO

Re: Ricardo Appreciation Society - model enquiry

Postby CNO » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:12 pm

Hi there. I have a Ricardo TriSeries EXCEED which I’ve owned since new, bought in the late 80s in Melbourne.

It has not been ridden since about 2007. I have decided to put it back on the road after I service and clean it and replaced the gum wall tyres.

There is no info about this model. So if anyone out there knows stuff about the Exceed, then I’d love to hear it.

This Exceed has Shimano hardware and is a fluoro yellow/lime colour with white tape. No rust and in excellent condition. So it will be an easy job to make road-ready again.

Cheers.

Chris.

Minority

Postby Minority » Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:12 pm

Quite nice :wink:

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:24 pm

Minority wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:12 pm

Very nice. !

A beautifully presented bicycle.
I presume that it has been repainted.

Perhaps it could do with some hoods for the brake lever blocks, assuming that it will get used for riding much

If you can’t source any that are compatible, just use some bar tape.
Perhaps held in place with some little elastic rubber thingos that you always get when you buy a small bell or LED light etc.
to put these in place requires you to undo and reinsert the brake cables (on these non-aero types)

Minority

Postby Minority » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:55 pm

elantra wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:24 pm
Minority wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:12 pm

Very nice. !

A beautifully presented bicycle.
I presume that it has been repainted.

Perhaps it could do with some hoods for the brake lever blocks, assuming that it will get used for riding much

If you can’t source any that are compatible, just use some bar tape.
Perhaps held in place with some little elastic rubber thingos that you always get when you buy a small bell or LED light etc.
to put these in place requires you to undo and reinsert the brake cables (on these non-aero types)
No repaint, all original apart from new cable inners and toe straps!

shandy2808

Ricardo History

Postby shandy2808 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:01 am

The date is late 1977 and I was working at Honda Carcycle Service Centre, Pirie Street, Adelaide, South Australia, on the corner of Frome Street.

I was the receptionist there, where they serviced Honda Vehicles like Honda Civic etc.
They also made Porsche Bicycles. I only worked there for a few months.

I am unable to remember whether they assembled them or made the bikes there, however lets assume they assembled them there, with the bike mechanics taking them for a ride around the huge service workshop. They also serviced clients bikes.

During this time late 1977 it was decided to change the name away from Porsche, so not to compete with the car maker.
So trying to find a 'fancy' name it was decided to go with Ricardo, a derivative of Richardson, who was the Service Centre's Manager. So that is how the name Ricardo came to be, after Mr Richardson, the Manager of the Honda Carcycle Service Centre.

I had left and heard on the grapevine that the company was struggling financially, Mr Richardson, died in a motor accident near Victor Harbor, in South Australia. He used to take his homing pigeons for test flights and he was on his way home one very early morning.

The Magpie on the head stem of the bike is the bird emblem of South Australia, often called the Piping Shrike, even though there is no such bird. The Magpie is the white backed magpie and the named 'piping shrike' is normally the Murray Magpie a smaller bird.

And yes the rest is history with Repco taking over and going overseas etc. But from what I of the history of the Porsche/Ricardo bike, it was and is a Great Australian Bike.

Thanks for the history talk, it's something that I have wanted to share for many years, and finally found somewhere to do that.
Stay safe on the roads.
Claire Thomas

elantra

Re: Ricardo History

Postby elantra » Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:51 pm

shandy2808 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:01 am
The date is late 1977 and I was working at Honda Carcycle Service Centre, Pirie Street, Adelaide, South Australia, on the corner of Frome Street.

I was the receptionist there, where they serviced Honda Vehicles like Honda Civic etc.
They also made Porsche Bicycles. I only worked there for a few months.

I am unable to remember whether they assembled them or made the bikes there, however lets assume they assembled them there, with the bike mechanics taking them for a ride around the huge service workshop. They also serviced clients bikes.

During this time late 1977 it was decided to change the name away from Porsche, so not to compete with the car maker.
So trying to find a 'fancy' name it was decided to go with Ricardo, a derivative of Richardson, who was the Service Centre's Manager. So that is how the name Ricardo came to be, after Mr Richardson, the Manager of the Honda Carcycle Service Centre.

I had left and heard on the grapevine that the company was struggling financially, Mr Richardson, died in a motor accident near Victor Harbor, in South Australia. He used to take his homing pigeons for test flights and he was on his way home one very early morning.

The Magpie on the head stem of the bike is the bird emblem of South Australia, often called the Piping Shrike, even though there is no such bird. The Magpie is the white backed magpie and the named 'piping shrike' is normally the Murray Magpie a smaller bird.

And yes the rest is history with Repco taking over and going overseas etc. But from what I of the history of the Porsche/Ricardo bike, it was and is a Great Australian Bike.

Thanks for the history talk, it's something that I have wanted to share for many years, and finally found somewhere to do that.
Stay safe on the roads.
Claire Thomas
Good one !

I guess they could have called the brand “Richo” but that name was already taken by a well known Political identity !
Besides, “Ricardo” has a racy Latin aura - the world’s most race-famous bicycle brand was possibly Colnago (by that stage in history)

I almost bought a new Ricardo racing bike in early 1988.
I thought it was beautiful, with a lovely subtle beige paintwork. And it was made in Australia and had the highly regarded Shimano 600 componentry.

But that bike was in a shop in Townsville, more than an hour’s drive away from where I was living.
And I was a member of the Herbert River Wheelers club In Ingham, and the club was organised by a local legend in the sport who ran a Repco motor parts store - and also sold Repco bicycles !

So in the end I purchased a top-of-the-line Repco from him, even though I thought the colour scheme was… not to my taste LOL

Ironically it did take a few years to realise that the Repco and the Ricardo were indeed “brothers-in-arms”.
Both frames were made by Leisure Cycles in Adelaide and were probably very similar quality.
But the colour scheme on the Ricardo was definitely better !

Thankyou for giving me the opportunity to reflect on a wonderful piece of Australian manufacturing history which is now gone. But remembered fondly