Is this a Repco Vertex Vicenza?

Reiko2030

Is this a Repco Vertex Vicenza?

Postby Reiko2030 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:40 pm

Hi All,

First time poster, long time lurker.

I just acquired what I believe is a 1989 Repco Vertex Vicenza but it's been re-painted and has completely different components then the only Repco model that it could be.

I've don't lots of research so far, but thought it good to now post and see if anyone has any thoughts or opinions on the subject.

Personally, it just seems very strange that someone would but this bike new, get it re-painted and then strip and replace every single component.

I'll leave a link to a photo album to view photos easily, but for me the signs its a Vertex Vicenza are of course the 'triple triangle', the bosses, the saddle and the R logo on the stem.

What's everyone's thoughts? Is it possible this was actually built by Repco for one of their sponsored racers that i've read these bikes were built for initially?

If pics don't work, basically we're looking at a white and pink fade Vertex, zero decals with the hellenic stays (ot triple triangle) but with a full Suntour Sprint 9000 groupset instead of the Campagnolo its listed with in the catalogue. Also, from what i can see of the serial number, it doesn't match any format i've seen for Repco bikes.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kMdwBUNhLKi1kJ2x8

Thanks in advance!

P!N20

Re: Is this a Repco Vertex Vicenza?

Postby P!N20 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:07 pm

Reiko2030 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:40 pm
Personally, it just seems very strange that someone would but this bike new, get it re-painted and then strip and replace every single component.
Not that strange; bikes get bought, sold, passed on, stolen, forgotten, revived - rinse and repeat.

Pretty cool Repco badged stem, looks a bit like a Cinelli XA.

I'm no Repco expert, but appears to tick most boxes that it is indeed a Vertex Vicenza. The seat stay caps aren't as concaved as some other examples, but that's not enough to discount it. Nice find. What are your plans for it?

Reiko2030

Postby Reiko2030 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:32 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:07 pm
What are your plans for it?
Thanks. I plan to restore it in some way shape or form and ride it, or at least add it to the growing stable of bikes that I ride.

I guess i found it more strange because 'supposedly' the father-in-law of the lady i bought it off had the bike since new but didn't think it had been painted. And the groupset it currently has on is almost identical to the 'sister model' Vertex sold that same year that did have the Suntour groupset. So its not like its been updated with stuff out of the period.

But this is all just heresy, and yes bikes do simply get updated and changed throughout their lives.

Unfortunately he's longer with us, but i plan to speak to the son when he's back from a work trip and see if I can get a bit more insight.

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:29 pm

Well done on becoming the owner of such a unique bicycle.
I too am sure that it is a Vertex Vicenza frame.
So many of the frame details are the same as my old (standard model) Vertex - except the triple triangle of course.
As to why it has an unusual paint scheme - who knows !

The only other little detail that it has which my Vertex did not have is the pump mounting braze-on on the head tube.

I am suspecting that the Suntour groupset is as was originally sold with the bike.
I wonder if it was a “runout” bike which was sold new with the Suntour instead of the Campagnolo Triumphe, because perhaps Vertex production was ceasing and the supply of Campag groupsets was exhausted.
I am a bit of a Suntour fan, the Suntour rear derailleurs are worth their weight in gold !
The indexed shifter levers were fantastic but unfortunately only work properly with Suntour freewheels.
I don’t have such great memories of some of the other bits.
The brakes weren’t very powerful, this was just before Shimano brought out their dual pivot callipers which were rather better.
I never really liked the Suntour pedals, I soon replaced mine with Campag pedals that were brilliant.
The Araya tubular wheels were too much of a hassle for me. I replaced mine with Mavic clincher wheels pretty quickly.

Good luck, it is a beautiful bike. Cheers