Carrying Batteries in the Car

Aushiker

Carrying Batteries in the Car

Postby Aushiker » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:05 pm

I will be at times carrying my forthcoming Rises and Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff on the back of the car. I do intend to remove the Bosch PowerTubes 625 Wh batteries when I transport the bike will fit either Bosch Pin Covers or Battery Transport Covers in their place on the bike.

My question is in relation to suitable bags to put the batteries in whilst transporting them (will not be used for charging). Any suggestions on a reasonable bag that will take the two batteries?

zebee

Re: Carrying Batteries in the Car

Postby zebee » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:41 pm

What are your reasons for wanting a bag?

• to make it easier to handle them and move them around so something that has a handle
  • to strap them down or tie them to something
  • to hide them from thieves
  • to pad them for transport, especially to protect connectors
  • to protect them from water
  • because I'm a bag for everything sorta guy

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:15 pm

zebee wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:41 pm
What are your reasons for wanting a bag?

• to make it easier to handle them and move them around so something that has a handle
  • to strap them down or tie them to something
  • to pad them for transport, especially to protect connectors
Pretty much the above thanks Zeebee. My current thinking is a sports bag or similar with foam to drop them into to protect them in transport.

To make the bike easier to load/unload and to reduce the chance of theft taking the batteries out is preferred.

zebee

Postby zebee » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:22 pm

I have no idea what the connectors look like so first job is to decide what kind of protection they need if any. If any bits stick out or could be bent or scraped then maybe get some styrofoam to make a cover for them. Or if you can find big enough bits, a cradle for them to slot into.

Google says they are 416 x 84 x 65mm

I'd think you would want to look for a bag that fits pretty closely around them or around any cradle you make. I suspect most available duffle bags would be too big, maybe hunt through two dollar shops for cheap backpacks.

A tool bag?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/134740428586
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/364571374458
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/384860036981
(I searched for canvas tool bag)

tent bag?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/404683032737
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/364423056178?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:04 pm

Something like an old drill case with padding in it? If they actually fit, it wouldn’t be hard to cut out any internal bits and pop some foam in.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:19 pm

Thanks, Zebee and bychosis for the suggestions. Off to hunt down a bag and some styofoam/

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:27 pm

Whereas my first thoughts were fire protection bags.

You've already made the choice to buy a high quality bike & bosch batteries will be well manufactured with inherent protection, its just that overheating is the 2nd most common cause of lithium batteries, albeit well behind charging faults.

Traveling in an air conditioned car is fine - leaving them inside a parked car in a WA summer is not something I would recommend.

For that reason I would also avoid styrofoam, but insulated in a padded fire retardant foam is probably a good choice
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:44 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:27 pm
Traveling in an air conditioned car is fine - leaving them inside a parked car in a WA summer is not something I would recommend.

For that reason I would also avoid styrofoam, but insulated in a padded fire retardant foam is probably a good choice

Whilst it is unlikely I would leave the batteries in the car for any period, I tend to drive and ride, but there is still that possibility. Maybe a fire protection battery bag is the better option, but to be honest, from what I have seen of battery fire protection bags so far (online), they are unlikely to help much if an actual fire happens. I guess they may reduce the chance of it happening.

For example this is the highest rated one at Amazon [not suitable for me but].

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:11 pm

I do like the look of this bag but there is no claim as to fire proofness and I am sure Bruce will tell me I cannot have two batteries in the one bag :)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:14 am

I don’t know what the real risk of fire for a quality brand bike battery is, but is suspect it’s pretty low. Just think of all the tradies literally chucking their tool batteries in the back of a packed ute. Everything is cordless now and they’ll have half a dozen batteries getting knocked around every day. Putting 2 batteries in a purpose made storage should not cause any dramas.

Lithium battery fires are normally related to charging fail or physical rupture, not simply storage in a hot car. Sure, might lose a little capacity of regularly stored in a hot car but you’re unlikely to cause a fire by keeping a battery in the boot. You could put them in an insulated bag to help keep the temp down in a hot car to keep them in good condition though.

Putting them in a fire proof bag is likely to do nothing anyway due to the extremes of a thermal runaway event.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:17 am

Aushiker wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:44 pm
For example this is the highest rated one at Amazon [not suitable for me but].
Don’t forget ‘highly rated on Amazon’ is easily manipulated and the product may not actually be that good. The way they promote items is pretty bad.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:47 am

I only get involved in safety matters when things have gone horribly wrong, so I tend to be conservative, particularly when it comes to low probability high consequence events - think of it as negative lotto. It's one of the reasons I stick to quality brands like Bosch, which are excellent both in terms of their chargers & batteries. IIRC bosch includes temperature monitoring in their BMS.

The Bosch battery guide at p 28 states that "Bosch batteries must not be stored below –10 °C or above 60 °C."

I figured that not much of WA sees temps below –10 °C, but when it's over 30°C outside, temps in a parked car can exceed 60 °C, hence why I wouldn't leave them there or store them with flammable materials.
Aushiker wrote: I do like the look of this bag but there is no claim as to fire proofness and I am sure Bruce will tell me I cannot have two batteries in the one bag :)
The insulation is neoprene which is reasonably non-flammable, which makes it a good compromise for cost
Anything you can do, I can do slower

zebee

Postby zebee » Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:12 pm

Ah well if you are looking for something that can handle a bit of fire maybe something metal?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/123823947817

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:14 pm

zebee wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:12 pm
Ah well if you are looking for something that can handle a bit of fire maybe something metal?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/123823947817
Haha ... I have seen them suggested before. Apparently you need to drill holes in them to allow for pressure release. I think that is a bit extreme but :)