Mordialloc Bike Shop 1956

bicyclepassion

Mordialloc Bike Shop 1956

Postby bicyclepassion » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:50 pm

Ted O'Neill was the proprietor of a bike shop in Mordialloc, a Melbourne bayside suburb, during the time of the 1956 Melbourne Olympics. Does anyone remember Ted, or know what the shop was called? It was in one of the side streets that run between Beach Road and Nepean Highway.
I have a track bike that I bought off Ted about 15 years ago. He had bought it off one of the riders after the '56 games. Believed to be one of the Italians, but could be anything really. As far as I know, Ted died some years ago now.
I am trying to piece together the story of Ted O'Neill as part of the history of this bike.
Any snippets appreciated. Warren.

GaryF

Re: Mordialloc Bike Shop 1956

Postby GaryF » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:06 am

Was that the fellow in the wheelchair?

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:37 pm

Ths bloke wasnt in a wheelchair when I met him in about 1998.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:24 am

Hi bicyclepassion,

I remember a bikeshop on the bend opposite and overlooking the Mordialloc creek on Beach Road quite near the roundabout where Beach Road meets Nepean Highway. The proprietor (I guess he was the proprietor) was in a wheelchair but I sensed he had not always been wheelchair bound. My sense of time is terrible but I am guessing that my encounter goes back 15 or so years. I also got the feeling that this shop had been in existence for some time. I am most probably thinking about a different bikeshop to the one you are trying to identify. I am sorry but I can't remember the name of the shop I have in mind.

I know I have been relying on 'senses and feelings' in my recollections but it might help to trigger other forum members memories.

Best of luck.

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:19 pm

Mystery solved.
I was going through some old bike magazines last night, and came across a special edition of the Australian Cyclist, a 'souvenir programme' of the first Sun Tour, in October 1952.
There is an ad in the program for:
OMEGA CYCLES, The Centreway, Mordialloc, Ted O'neill, Proprietor.
I still have a 1950's Italian track bike that I bought from Ted that needs identifying, but I am one step closer.
If anyone remembers Omega Cycles, or has one, please let me know.
Warren

stevendavid75

Postby stevendavid75 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:06 pm

Hi Warren,

I am pretty sure there was an OMEGA on ebay recently ...sometime within the last year I think not sure if you can search completed listings
Cheers
Steve

Johnj

Postby Johnj » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:34 pm

stevendavid75 wrote:I am pretty sure there was an OMEGA on ebay recently ...sometime within the last year I think not sure if you can search completed listings.
I bought an Omega on eBay in February, if that's the one you're thinking of. This was definitely not a Victorian bike, it was from Omega Cycles, 164 Liverpool Rd Enfield (Sydney). Omega also operated in Bankstown. There's an Omega Cycleworks in Broadmeadow (Newcastle), not sure if it is connected to the Sydney Omega shops.

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:24 pm

Thanks for the info fella's, it seems that the Omega Cycles that exist of recent times in NSW are nothing to do with Omega in Mordialloc in the 1950's. I am not even sure whether Ted O'neil branded his bikes 'Omega', but the shop was certainly called that.
The only other thing I have found out is that Ted rode for the Mordialloc Continental club, and I assume that they may have used his shop as a base.
His shop was there from at least 1952 to 1956, as it was there during the Olympics, but not sure when it closed.
Warren

oldtimerider

Postby oldtimerider » Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:56 am

Hi Warren,
My brother and I used to ride with the Mordialloc Cycling Club back in the late 1940s. 1948? Most of us used to buy our bike equipment from Omega Cycles, which was located in a side street. Ted's shop was a small one and it sat at the end of a vacant paddock, as I recall. We each bought a track bike from him - 'Omega' on the frame. He was very helpful and we all thought he was 'a good bloke.' Especially my brother and I. We were juniors with not much money and he made it possible for us to keep riding. Our club was a big one and we all (as well as the girls) used to go to the North Essendon Board Track on Saturday nights in a furniture van to support our riders - among them Bill Dove, one of our best riders. At the track we saw and admired Graeme French (he had his bike painted a different colour on each side), Dean Whitehorn - who we all thought had the best legs, and Billy Guyatt - a rider who always managed to get through the pack and get a place. It was always a great night. On our return to Mordialloc, the whole van load - bikes, wheels, etc, would troop into the Star Cafe and have pancakes, cream and honey, with lots of singing and laughing. No drunks or attitude. We also raced on the track at the Parkdale Oval. We trained there as well. Our club was well run and had road racing events. Club rides on a Sunday on Beach Road to Frankston or St Kilda - imagine a huge 40+ bunch riding two up and ALL in the Club colours.They were great days, very competitive but with gracious winners. Hope this fills in a few blank spots.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:48 pm

oldtimerider wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:56 am
Our club was a big one and we all (as well as the girls) used to go to the North Essendon Board Track on Saturday nights in a furniture van to support our riders - among them Bill Dove, one of our best riders. At the track we saw and admired Graeme French (he had his bike painted a different colour on each side), Dean Whitehorn - who we all thought had the best legs, and Billy Guyatt - a rider who always managed to get through the pack and get a place.

Hi oldtimerider,

There's a thread with a few photos and an old race program here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=18610&start=50

There's an H. Guyatt listed, not sure if that's Billy or a relative...or just someone with the same surname.

I'd love to hear more about the track meets there, did you ever race on it? Do you still have any bikes or gear from that era?

cycles gitane
Location: Near the Dandenong Creek cycle trail, Eastern Melbourne

Postby cycles gitane » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:23 pm

See below for advertising from March 1951. Trove

Image971E1CE6-F294-4FF0-A720-9BD330C97089 by the bikes are in the shed, on Flickr
There is NO room in the shed for the next bike! New shed rqd.

oldtimerider

Postby oldtimerider » Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:01 am

Old-time Rider here. No, I did not race on the 'boards' at the North Essendon bike track. I was just a junior. My twin brother, Richard, and I had a couple of training rides on it, though. The bends were very steep - something we were not used to, so it took a lot of nerve (for us) to ride into them and stay on the track. Not many of our members rode it, either. Another thing was the cost of the equipment. The Parkdale track around the football ground had slightly banked bends, so the NE board track was quite intimidating to us. I have a photo of my brother and I on our Omega track bikes. In later years, we took up the bikes again - this time with Blackburn. They had an Olympic standard concrete track with steep bends. We rode the road and track for several enjoyable years with this club. I no longer ride, but I still have my track bike (with a nostalgic 'Repco' name on it); a retired road racing bike and another road racing bike with Dura Ace gear throughout. We rode as 'Veterans' with Blackburn. Today, I always have a close look at any bikes parked outside coffee shops, counting those sprockets and checking out the disc brakes... and then I think back to when I only had three gears to work with and a heavy frame and wheels. But then again, so did everybody else. Road and track racing was a big thing, back in the day. There was no television. They are good memories. So much so that when Sid Patterson passed away, many years ago, a memorial was held for him at Middle Park, so my brother and turned up on our Harley-Davidson motorbikes, wearing our Vietnam Veteran Club colours, to pay our respects to an unforgettable, true champion. I still have the programme for this gathering.