Campagnolo drivetrain with a Shimano cassette

open roader

Campagnolo drivetrain with a Shimano cassette

Postby open roader » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:44 pm

I thought we may have had a thread discussing this prev. in the now deleted Campagnolo section of the forum.....? Maybe?

However I can't find any reference to this question now on BNA

My everyday road bike came off the shelf with Shimano 105 disc 11 speed running gear - the more I ride this bike the more I truly miss thumb shifters...........

My everyday bike (2021 Orbea Gain M30) is limited to a motororised rear hub fitted exclusively with a Shimano HG freehub - this is the one non negotiable part of my quandry.

Campagnolo H11 is now hard to find 2nd hand and the last bits and pieces of retail H11 are wickedly expensive compared to Campag 12 speed disc offerings so I'm considering swapping 105 for a Campag 12 groupset is I can be convinced running Campag 12 with a Shimano cassette with provide 'acceptable' shifting performance.

Are there some BNA members out there who have experience setting up and running 11 or 12 speed Campagnolo running gear using Shimano cassettes?
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

Duck!
Expert

Re: Campagnolo drivetrain with a Shimano cassette

Postby Duck! » Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:58 pm

I don't know about 12-sp, but with 11-sp. the sprocket spacing is so similar that subbing in another brand cassette works fine. I suspect 12 will be similar. At 10-sp. level they definitely don't like each other as the Campag cassette is a decent bit wider than Shimano.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:49 pm

Duck! wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:58 pm
At 10-sp. level they definitely don't like each other as the Campag cassette is a decent bit wider than Shimano.
At 10-sp. level use an “old” nine speed Campy derailleur with “new” 10sp shifters to get a 10sp Shimano cassette to work.

( Shimano 8/9/10 derailleur with 10sp Campy works with 8sp Shimano cassettes)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:01 pm

I have 2 bikes on Campagnolo 11s (pre-2015 Super Record, Chorus), both running Shimano & Campag cassettes interchangeably. No issues with the shifting.

open roader

Postby open roader » Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:39 pm

Ok, thanks for the answers.

I've read up about another couple of Campy 12sp setups using Shimano / SRAM cassettes so I've taken the plunge with a discounted Chorus 12sp disc groupset and purchased the requisite BB cups, cassette and chain to get this job going.

Wish me luck!
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

Greg McDermott

Postby Greg McDermott » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:47 am

Hello open roader
Have you done the conversion and if so how was the compatibility of the Chorus with Shimano Cassette?
Thanks